GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,208
1 members and 1,207 guests
modorney

Old 01-13-2005, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
International Chapters

Hey Everyone,

Today I was selected to serve on my sorority's International Expansion Committee .

My sorority, Gamma Sigma Sigma, is on the verge of becoming International as we have recieved some strong interest from schools outside of the U.S...which is VERY exciting for us.

However, since we've never had chapters outside of the US (except for one closed chapter in Puerto Rico), we have no clue on how this works. And since I'm on the committee, and I need to research, I thought I'd come here and ask some questions of those organizations that have International Chapters:

1. How do you handle dues? I'm sure they pay in US Currency.

2. Visitation--we have District Directors in GSS whose job is to visit each chapter in their respective district once a year. How does your HQ handle visitation, if you do it?

3. Logistics--we have Conferences and Convention. Do you try your best to make it accessible to them to come?

4. How does your organization best represent the concerns/issues of your International Chapters?

I have more, but I would like to get some feedback first. Thanks for all of your help in advance!

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 01-13-2005, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm the past president of the Canadian Intefraternal Association - hopefully, I can shead some light on your questions.

1. How do you handle dues? I'm sure they pay in US Currency.

Most NPC and NIC groups tend to have a set exchange or par rate ($1 CDN = $1 US). There are some that charge US dollar and it has put a major burden on chapter finances and recruitment (the dollar isn't bad now, but when it was 45% - yikes!)

2. Visitation--we have District Directors in GSS whose job is to visit each chapter in their respective district once a year. How does your HQ handle visitation, if you do it?

This is the same for the majority of groups that have chapters in Canada - if they are your chapter, you visit them like everyone else.

3. Logistics--we have Conferences and Convention. Do you try your best to make it accessible to them to come?

This would be the same as for any member - if you can come, come. For those who are required to attend, some groups in the past have 'helped' if it is more than a major financial burden for someone to attend, International or not.

4. How does your organization best represent the concerns/issues of your International Chapters?

A supervisor would need to make sure that there is a two-way street of communication, especailly if it is a colony as well. There ARE differences in culture and expectations - you will need to work to find a happy medium.

Do note: there are costs with shipping and especially for badges or sorority clothes/gear - customs. Not only that, consider communication costs - long-distance, extra postage, courier, travel costs for volunteers. Definately make sure that these have been addressed and EXPECTED to occur.

Good luck!!

Last edited by NeonPi; 01-13-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gamma_girl52 Send a message via Yahoo to gamma_girl52
Thanks! I am taking notes!

Just to help people out, we have interest in England and Jamaica.
Maybe if we have an International Director, I would be it

"Life is filled with many things to Befriend, Love, and Serve..."
Old 01-13-2005, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by NeonPi
I'm the past president of the Canadian Intefraternal Ass
Do note: there are costs with shipping and especially for badges or sorority clothes/gear - customs. Not only that, consider communication costs - long-distance, extra postage, courier, travel costs for volunteers. Definately make sure that these have been addressed and EXPECTED to occur.
This is perhaps one of the biggies, especially post 9/11 - expect delays and increased shipping insurance. As for transportation costs... well if it's Jamacia or England then you are going to have some high expenses... Canada isn't that much better (although you can drive) as distances can be pretty extreme from chapter to chapter.

However I should note that NeonPi is pretty knowledgable about some of the issues around International issues regarding GLOs (or at least Canada).

"Cave ab homine unius libri"