GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,364
2 members and 1,362 guests
Cookiez17, naraht

Old 01-16-2003, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Question thinking about rushing

Hi! I'm new to the boards and I have sort of a question:

I am thinking about rushing a sorority soon, and I have a pretty good idea of 2 or 3 that I am interested it. I know the reputation they have at my school, but I was wondering if anyone knows what their image or stereotype is at other schools or in general.
The two I am considering are ZTA, DZ, and AGD. If anyone could help that would be great!

Thanks!
Old 01-16-2003, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Loreli-

That is a legitimate question, however, you should NOT choose a sorority based on stereotypes or what other people say/think about them. Use your own judgement in choosing the place that is right for you as opposed to becoming partial to any one of them because a friend or aqquaintance likes them.

Are you thinking of rushing in the Spring or Fall? What type of recruitment does your school hold during the season you intend to go through? Rules vary depending on whether the rush is Formal or Informal. Formal recruitment rules are very strict, and if you go through this type of recruitment, you will most likely have to visit all of the houses at least once.

Keep an open mind & don't listen to rumors. Even different chapters of the same National sorority vary in the personalities and interests of their members depending on the school. For example: just because a sorority's chapter in one state is known for being athletic doesn't mean all the others are great at athletics also.

Visit the National and/or local websites of the sororities on your campus & read about each sorority's philanthropy (a special cause they donate time & money to such as cancer, aids, abused children, etc.), each sorority's mission statement/ideals, and things such as what sisterhood means to them. These are the most important factors in choosing a sorority.

A good starting point is http://www.npcwomen.org
This is the website of the National Panhellenic Conference, of which all three of the sororities you mentioned are members.
Also, talk to someone in your school's Greek Life office to get the details on when recruitment is, etc.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on deciding to rush. Going greek is the best decision that I ever made, and it has made my college experience thus far unforgettable. Sorority recruitment is a long and exciting process. However, don't base your decision on reputations. Some people get represented falsely, and you may have mixed opinions around your campus. Take this time during recruitment to get to know the sororities for their sisterhood, members, philanthropy, and what they stand for. That's what will help make your decision. Reputation only says so much, and is often misleading. Some of the most amazing people I know have been in the orgainzations that often get overlooked.

As far as national reputation goes, each chapter is different. They represent and stand for the values of the national orgainzation...from the colors and motto, to the creed and masot. Don't worry about a chapter's national reputation..."well they're the pretty girls everywhere" "that organization is the preppy girls" "this one is the sporty girls". Each organization has amazing things to offer and is very, very strong, reputable, and dignified with the National Panhellenic Council.

Make your decision on where you feel most at home, most comfortable, and most like yourself. These girls will be your sisters, confidants, and best friends for the next four years. Good luck on your decisoin and keep us posted on your recruitment process. My rho chi gave me the best advice when I was going through "the best way to figure out who you are is to go where you don't have to be anyone else"

Greek Love,
~Adrienne
Old 01-16-2003, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

ZetaLuvBunny~you read my mind, we must have posted at the same time! I didn't mean to repeat what was said
Old 01-16-2003, 09:48 PM

ZetaLuvBunny gives good advice.

Are those the only 3 sororities at your school, or are there others? If there are other sororities recruiting, keep your options open - you may fall in love with a different group during rush.

Good luck
Old 01-16-2003, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks!

It is formal rush. I have checked out all the info you suggested (thats how I narrowed my preferences down to three, for what I know now).

I was just curious. I've heard different things about each of them from people at different schools, and you're right there do seem to be differences in the reputations that the different chapters have. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what their experiences are with them.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

recruitment

>>>I was just wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what their experiences are with them>>>

Loreli,
I don't think that anyone on these boards would do this, even if they could, and it would be difficult. As several posters have said, groups vary from campus to campus to much that it is impossible to say "all Alpha Alpha Alpha's are beautiful" or "all Beta Beta Beta's have 4.0 GPA's".
Keep an open mind when you go through recruitment. It is fine to have your favorites, but that could change. Please keep us posted and GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-16-2003, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChiOqt
ZetaLuvBunny~you read my mind, we must have posted at the same time! I didn't mean to repeat what was said
Hehe. That's funny! It's alright you added your own wording even if it was similar.

Thanks Aephialum!

Loreli-
When getting to know members of each sorority during rush, think back to best friends you have/have had. Think about how your friends were there for you at your moments of weakness and made you laugh through your tears, and think about laughing so hard with a friend that you start to cry These are the moments you will share with your sisters for years to come, maybe even a lifetime, if you choose a sorority for the right reasons. Okay, now I'm getting cheesy & starting to tear up thinking about it hehe.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooh I just noticed you're in Pittsburgh! I grew up near there (Morgantown, WV). All of my family went to WVU, but we moved down here my soph. year in high school, and I wanted to stay somewhat close to home.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:44 PM

I will be blunt...

Loreli,

Reputation doesn't mean squat. If you join a group based only on what others think of or say about them, you will have a very miserable Greek experience.

Also, narrowing your choices before you even begin rush is very premature, since rush is a mutual selection process and those chapters may all cut you after the first round.

It's OK to have groups you may be partial to - it's hard not to if you have been on campus a semester - but saying it out loud or on a message board can be extremely damaging to your rush chances. It is a very small world - I already have an idea, just by your location and the groups you have named, of what school you are at.

I know I sound harsh, but things like that have happened before - just trying to prevent you from heartbreak.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I love AGD's!!! They are great!

Facebook
Old 01-16-2003, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I know I shouldn't make a premature judgement and I hope I'm not. Thanks for all the advice!

33girl you're from Pittsburgh?
Thats where I am from too!
Actually, I'm at Penn State right now, but I miss home
Old 01-17-2003, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

lorle2,

From a guy stand point:

Check out National web sites to get an idea about them. Remember, we all put our best foot forward in print. Right?

If you are at Penn St. there are many great Soroitys there.

Now the main thing is, you are looking a Great Nationals, but the main thing is the Ladies at the U.

Yep each Chapter is different, and the ones you will be living with are the ones you will remember and be closest to.

When you become an Alum, the Name recognition will be imprtant, but you will always remember your Sisters from the Chapter that you were Initiated in.

You could not have come top a better site for help!

I am Almost the elder statesman, so have from me to someone like yourself who is just learning and will one day be talking to someone new who is looking also!!!!!!!!!

The very best of luck to you!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-17-2003, 12:32 AM

I just want to reiterate what Tom said about this being a great site....I too am a non-greek... I'm just thinking about it as a possibility....and GreekChat has really influenced my decision in breaking all the stereotypes and explaining alot about how the Greek System/Life works.

I wish you much luck!

May your experience with GC be as fruitful as mine was *will* be!

p.s.- don't forget to post your rush story in the rush section...most will agree that those are SO MUCH FUN to read!

-Sarah
Old 01-17-2003, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nauadpi Send a message via Yahoo to nauadpi
My thoughts to you are be yourself and dont come in having any ideas of any of the chapters. Go in with a completely open mind. I know on my campus each chapter is so different and has something for everyone. As for any of the three chapters you listed, they arent on my campus so I cannot say anything about them. As for my own sorority I can say that on my campus we are the girls who generally never thought of joining a sorority for the lives of them...while in other areas it is very competitive to get into ADPi chapters. The big thing is to meet girls who you will want to be in your life forever...For me most recently is I find I want all my sisters to be bridesmaids in my wedding...But I think my family will think 50 is too many....