GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,172
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,366
1 members and 1,365 guests
No Members online

Old 07-01-2009, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

List of chapters in private area of national website only???

In the last week, I've run into three fraternities/sororities where the National Official website for the fraternity does *not* include a list of their active chapters *and* that I have reason to believe (or proof) that a list of their active chapters is in the area that is limited to brothers(or sisters).

Does anyone have any idea why something like that would be kept in a private area? My fraternity is very much the other way, even with a page where you can get either the entire list, or specifically by state or other criteria.

I've also seen one where the list of active chapters is public, but the list of inactive chapters is not...
Old 07-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Sigma Chi's active list is public domain. The list of colonies is a little hard to find, but is also public domain. Dormant/closed chapters are not listed anywhere on our website.

Personally, I think they should be listed. A couple of groups list their dormant chapters with a note that encourages men on the campus with the dormant chapter to contact their National if they are interested in forming a colony. Kappa Delta Rho and Sigma Pi are two that I can think of off the top of my head.

Add to list: Alpha Kappa Lambda and Phi Kappa Sigma.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 07-01-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with you, Lane Sig.

There's such a thing as not enough information.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel like there is an NPC group or two that does that as well. Not sure why a list of collegiate chapters would be private but I guess they want it to be a secret!
Old 07-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Banned

why would you be that worried about that? in most cases more do than not from what i have seen. i can agree with you in that it would be nice if nationals would show chapter listings for pnm. but to make a deal about this?
Old 07-01-2009, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeason1 View Post
why would you be that worried about that? in most cases more do than not from what i have seen. i can agree with you in that it would be nice if nationals would show chapter listings for pnm. but to make a deal about this?
Tom Earp, the original poster isn't making a big deal of it - they're just asking a question.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
Sigma Nu lists the active chapters as well as dormant ones.

My favorite on the interwebz is Sig Ep. They list the chapters, and you can click down into them and it shows a pic of the house, as well as member totals for recent semesters. Very very cool.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

As to why an organization would keep this list private...it might have to do with their membership process.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
As to why an organization would keep this list private...it might have to do with their membership process.
I don't see how

Given that most membership requests must be submitted THROUGH a chapter, I am not sure why a simple chapter contact (chapter pres or membership chair) or address (PO Box or campus box) would not/should not be provided.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoyred View Post
I don't see how

Given that most membership requests must be submitted THROUGH a chapter, I am not sure why a simple chapter contact (chapter pres or membership chair) or address (PO Box or campus box) would not/should not be provided.
Me neither. Plus, figuring out where a chapter is should be easy, considering school websites list them.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
My favorite on the interwebz is Sig Ep. They list the chapters, and you can click down into them and it shows a pic of the house, as well as member totals for recent semesters. Very very cool.
woot.

There's also like a complete chapter analysis and full rosters on our National website. It's really useful for chapters locally b/c it's a way that we can keep track of a lot of things. Also, we have access to make changes to our chapter profiles as well.

And then, of course, there are links to each chapter's personal website.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditone View Post
I know that Delta Chi site also provides pictures of the houses along with the chapter websites. Very convenient

@~/~~~~
Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

One thing to maybe consider is the increase in documented cases and/or awareness of stalkers... especially for the women's groups. I know of female sports teams at colleges/universities where the schedule is not posted on the school website because they have had issues with inappropriate or unwanted people attending games and not leaving the players alone. I would imagine that this is very possible for our sorority members.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyAlum View Post
One thing to maybe consider is the increase in documented cases and/or awareness of stalkers... especially for the women's groups. I know of female sports teams at colleges/universities where the schedule is not posted on the school website because they have had issues with inappropriate or unwanted people attending games and not leaving the players alone. I would imagine that this is very possible for our sorority members.
I don't see how this relates. You can still find out where a chapter is by visiting a school's website.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I cannot think of a good reason for this, either, unless it was an organization which was nationally not conducting membership intake and generally needed to control the public's access to limit liability.