GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 980
4 members and 976 guests
John, sigmagirl2000, Xidelt

Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

International student

Hi,

I'm french and I might come to WSU or GCSU in the fall 2011.
I'll be a senior, or a junior I' don't know yet.

My question: Am I able to rush even if I'm an international student AND that I'll be in my junior or senior year?

I have always dreamt about rushing one day!

Thanks ^^
Old 05-15-2010, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

WSU = what school? Washington State? Wright State?

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Winona State University^^

Or Georgia College and State University.

Or Lindenwood university....

I really don't know where to go yet, I have so many choices!

Do you think I'll be able to rush?
Old 05-15-2010, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Just for clarification, rush is the recruitment process. Pretty sure you can't be kept from signing up for registering for recruitment. What you are thinking of is what most sororities call the New Member process which is the process of actually joining. Now as for your chances of getting a bid, I will let somebody else who has more knowledge then I speak.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh ok thanks for the information!

But this is not a problem to be a foreign student and to be accepted as a new member in my junior or senior year..

Kinda complicated I know lol
Old 05-16-2010, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

As long as you are enrolled as a full time regular student, you can go through recruitment (rush).
Old 05-16-2010, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn73 View Post
Hi,

I'm french and I might come to WSU or GCSU in the fall 2011.
I'll be a senior, or a junior I' don't know yet.

My question: Am I able to rush even if I'm an international student AND that I'll be in my junior or senior year?

I have always dreamt about rushing one day!

Thanks ^^
What Titchou said about eligibility. However, keep in mind that being eligible to participate in recruitment and GETTING A BID are two different things entirely. I suggest reading all of the advice threads at the top of this forum and some recruitment stories. Nobody here can tell you the likelihood of you getting a bid, but there is fabulous advice and do's and don'ts available.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

One of my chapter's fellow founding members was a Japanese international student. International students socializing with the local students isn't hugely common. Funny enough, internationals come all the way to the U.S. to study, immerse themselves in English, etc., then typically socialize in cliques composed of their fellow nationals.

If you really want to have a shot at being immersed in U.S. culture and develop the sort of social network which you probably never would otherwise, I would definitely recommend a fraternity.

You'll want to contact the greek life office of whatever school you'll be attending to get information.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-17-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Funny enough, internationals come all the way to the U.S. to study, immerse themselves in English, etc., then typically socialize in cliques composed of their fellow nationals.
I don't necessarily think they are anxious to socialize with Americans, rather they want the superior education this country offers. I also don't think that's an issue w/ a French student so much as it is some other nationalities/ethnicities.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I don't necessarily think they are anxious to socialize with Americans, rather they want the superior education this country offers. I also don't think that's an issue w/ a French student so much as it is some other nationalities/ethnicities.
Well and once they move far away from home into an entirely different culture and sometimes language, being around people who remind you of home and who you can understand is probably a comfort. People who can cook/appreciate 'your' food probably help too.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Well and once they move far away from home into an entirely different culture and sometimes language, being around people who remind you of home and who you can understand is probably a comfort. People who can cook/appreciate 'your' food probably help too.
There's that, but at my college, there was a large contingent of international students who had no intention of becoming involved with Americans and American culture at all. The college was (and I believe still is) need-aware when it comes to international students, meaning that the majority of international students were EXTREMELY wealthy. They knew they were coming back to their home countries to take over the family business, and they stuck primarily with other extremely wealthy students from Greece/Singapore/UAE/Luxembourg/fill-in-the-blank. They would occasionally socialize with other students, but their lives were completely different from the "typical" college student--and that was their choice.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
There's that, but at my college, there was a large contingent of international students who had no intention of becoming involved with Americans and American culture at all. The college was (and I believe still is) need-aware when it comes to international students, meaning that the majority of international students were EXTREMELY wealthy. They knew they were coming back to their home countries to take over the family business, and they stuck primarily with other extremely wealthy students from Greece/Singapore/UAE/Luxembourg/fill-in-the-blank. They would occasionally socialize with other students, but their lives were completely different from the "typical" college student--and that was their choice.
Yeah there's that too. I'm a small state school right now and the biggest group of international students are from one small area of India. They hang out together and they cook food together regularly since there's not really any other way to get good Indian food here. A lot would depend on your reasons for coming and whether you expect to stay in the country you're studying in or whether you're specifically intending to return home.