GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,156
2 members and 1,154 guests
naraht, willTic

Old 09-10-2002, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Question dirty rushing?

OK, I am from a teeny tiny Greek school and have no idea what "dirty rushing" is? I have a general idea, but what are specific examples on what this is?

I have seen it in a couple threads here @ GC, and just recently on justamom's "Dear LSU" thread.

Thanks for the info!
Old 09-10-2002, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Specific, common examples of dirty rushing:

Active saying to a PNM: I really want to have you as a sister.

Active saying to a PNM: It's okay to suicide, you can always COB later (or get a snap bid) and join.

Active serving alcohol to a PNM

Active saying "You might not want to join XYZ, they haze really badly."

Throwing a party before rush whose guests consist only of PNMs and actives from one sorority.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KappaStargirl
Specific, common examples of dirty rushing:

Active saying to a PNM: I really want to have you as a sister.
I was always told that this was ok to say, as long as you didn't turn it into "WE really want to have you as a sister," because that would be the same as promising a bid. If you say "I want you as my sister" or "I would like you to be my little sister" or something like that, it's ok because one person that wants you does not necessarily mean that you're getting a bid.

By the way, promising a bid is also a specific, common example of dirty rushing.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it varies from campus to campus regarding whether or not you can can "I'd like to have you as a sister" or "we'd like to have you as a sister".
Old 09-10-2002, 11:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
I think "I" or "we" can be construed both in the wrong way esp. for girls who really believe that you are speaking on behalf of the org. even if you say "I".

our big probs. with dirty rushing are gifts, for somereason my campus is really big on giving gifts. A "gift" can be defined as any of these things: taking a pnm out to dinner and paying for her, taking a pnm or group of pnm's to the dairy queen and paying, paying for them to get into a bar, buying them alchohol, even if they are over 21, giving them anything with letters to keep or even drink out of! (ok, i think this is rediculous, bc i let my friends in other orgs drink out of my date party mugs and its no big deal!), and then anything else that one would consider a present. It's so bad, i don't think you could even give a PNM a quarter if she asked for it. How bad is that?
Old 09-10-2002, 06:40 PM

The big "dirty rushing" no-no is promising to a PNM that she will receive a bid or an invite to the next round of parties. We were always told to be extremely careful what we said... all we could say when seeing a PNM off was "Have a good day" or "Good night" - NEVER "I hope I see you tomorrow" or anything along those lines. Even though it does express the wishes of one particular sister and not the whole sorority - it can be easily misconstrued.

Other forms of "dirty rushing" include suggesting that a PNM suicide/ISP, having men and/or alcohol at parties, and bad-mouthing other sororities - if you're an ABC, you can say "ABC is the best" but not "XYZ sucks".