GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,159
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, LynchMob66
» Online Users: 1,522
1 members and 1,521 guests
No Members online

Old 03-25-2007, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Mississippi Supreme Court case.

The following link is about a case that reached the MS High Court involving the suspension of a fraternity chapter.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...=2007703240368

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 03-25-2007, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
The following link is about a case that reached the MS High Court involving the suspension of a fraternity chapter.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb...=2007703240368
I am really confused by this story ... what exactly is the chapter being held responsible for?
Old 03-25-2007, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTRen13 View Post
I am really confused by this story ... what exactly is the chapter being held responsible for?
It appears that because Mack spat on the Omega monument, the Omegas persued him which then led to the shooting of an Omega. If they had not reacted as such, the incident would not have happened.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the most frustrating thing about this incident is that outside the fact the people involved were fraternity brothers, it had absolutely nothing to do with the fraternities ability conduct itself as a responsible student organization. The fight didn't happen at the fraternity house, at a fraternity function, or any of the usual things campus administrators use to pin the blame for an incident on a GLO. Punish the guys involved and move on.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinstrypes View Post
I think the most frustrating thing about this incident is that outside the fact the people involved were fraternity brothers, it had absolutely nothing to do with the fraternities ability conduct itself as a responsible student organization. The fight didn't happen at the fraternity house, at a fraternity function, or any of the usual things campus administrators use to pin the blame for an incident on a GLO. Punish the guys involved and move on.
It doesn't work that was in the NPHC. It was three guys acting on behalf of the fraternity. We don't know th size of the chapter nor the positions of the ones involved. For all we know they could have been the officers of the chapter, or the entire chapter. And remember they were reacting to what they perceived as a desecration (and I agree) of a chapter symbol.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

That article was confusing (probably due to be poorly written, imho). So a grad student (Mack?) spit on the Omega monument and then was persued by 3 of the Omegas. A scuffle ensued, Mack had a gun that went off, and wounded one of the Qs. Subsequently the Qs are suspended from campus. Do I have that right?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Holy Misplaced Modifiers Batman!

Seriously, though - I don't think the whole chapter needs to be suspended for the actions of three individuals. NPHC "protocol", or whatever you would like to call it, should not come into play, because it's not the NPHC doing the suspending, it's the campus/court systems. They should treat it like they would if three members of the football team did the same thing (and we KNOW they would not suspend the entire football team).
Old 03-26-2007, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes but it's entirely possible that that WAS the whole chapter, or even a majority of it. But I do tend to agree. I wonder if the university is saying they acted on behalf of Omega because they were defending its honor or something?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Well perhaps if these three gents were officers of the fraternity, the chapter should be suspended. However, I doubt it, officers tend to have better judgment than these three. Its unfortunate, but the fraternity definitely got screwed on this one. At least no one died, and Mack got what he deserved. He was expelled and pleaded guilty to criminal charges. If anyone still cant figure out what happened, this story is explained much better on my site.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
He shouldn't have been dissing the Qs' set.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFratBoyNews View Post
Well perhaps if these three gents were officers of the fraternity, the chapter should be suspended. However, I doubt it, officers tend to have better judgment than these three.
Not necessarily.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

What was not forth coming about the situation?

They used a weapon that is felony! They shot and killed someone! How hard is that to understand stupidity?

They should be placed in prison and Judged by thier peers and if they did this found guilty and delt with at the highest level!

Spit on a monument and lose a life!

What is wrong with this picture?

Banned is not enough!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-26-2007, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
They used a weapon that is felony! They shot and killed someone! How hard is that to understand stupidity? . . .

Your description of it is what's wrong with the picture, since none of what you said actually happened.

Three members of the chapter assualted someone because he spat on an Omega momument. The "spitter" shot and wounded one of the Omegas -- or at least his gun went off during the altercation and wounded one of the Omegas. No one was killed, the three Omegas didn't have the gun and it was one of the Omegas, not the "spitter," who was wounded.

Last edited by MysticCat; 03-26-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Reading

Is

Fundamental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
What was not forth coming about the situation?

They used a weapon that is felony! They shot and killed someone! How hard is that to understand stupidity?

They should be placed in prison and Judged by thier peers and if they did this found guilty and delt with at the highest level!

Banned is not enough!