GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,164
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 1,080
5 members and 1,075 guests
Cookiez17, John, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 05-07-2001, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
Question Men, Braids, and Professionalism

This topic has been on my mind for a while, yet I've been mulling over how to present it. We had a topic in the past on Men & Braids, but it dealt more with how we view their appearance(attractiveness), not professionalism.

With that said, to everyone: with diversity being the new corporate "buzz word", it is not uncommon to see African American men in the work place with braids and cornrows. Also, watching professional sports (such as basketball) many of the players have braids now.

Do you think that this look is professional? For those that say no, keep in mind that it is acceptable to see African American women in the workplace with braids (especially micros and cornrows). Is it biased to say that African American men should not be afforded the same right and be deemed unprofessional, or do you think it is unprofessional for both?

For those that say it is acceptable/ professional, is there ever a time when the look is unprofessional (i.e. men that have half of their hair braided, and the other half still "under construction ") and if so, if you were writing a dress code, how would you address those issues from a Human Resources standpoint?

Old 05-07-2001, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I think braids, dreds, and cornrows can be acceptable and professional under certain conditions. Personally, I LOVE the look. It drives me crazy. However, nothing turns me off more than nasty, dirty braids. I've seen many people who are just not ready for the upkeep of natural styles. So I'd say, any hair style is fine as long as it's CLEAN and drawn back from the face.
Old 05-07-2001, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I have to say that my opinion has changed a bit on this subject..
My younger brother has grown his hair almost to the middle of his back and to me it looked so thug like (and yes that is the look he is going for)

I used really hate hate hate cornrows esp. in the workplace.

Then about 3 months after I was married--my husband decided to let his hair grow.
I threw a fit and protested and protested--Needless to say he would not listen to reason.

I just knew that it would become a problem for him as a professional {he too is a teacher}

My mind changed when he met my principal. She commented our intelligent he is and how she would love to have him her staff..

She told me (after I asked her) that his braids don't make a difference

I guess I am just so traditional

------------------
IVY in my HAND-- AKA in my HEART
Old 05-07-2001, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Tickledpink,

I'm glad you brought this up from the professional viewpoint.

Just last week I was talking with a friend about the meaning of the word "professional". I was sharing my stories about having an "ethnic" hairstyle while applying/interviewing for jobs. I have worn my hair natural for two years and over that period of time I have come to see the word "professionalism" as conformity. Some might find that extreme, but I really feel
that it's the truth. Think about it:

A woman had to sue her job because her hairstyle (thin braids past her shoulders) were not deemed professional even though they were very neat and well-maintained.

A lady at my girlfriend's job was almost fired because she wore Kente Cloth scarves
around her neck with her business suits. They told her the print was not professional.

Muslim women are repeatedly pressured not to wear Haddad (head/neck covering) because it's not looked upon as professional.

Does anyone see a pattern here? It seems that any hint of your ethnic or even
RELIGIOUS background shouldn't show while in the "professional" setting. To me this is
complete BS, and I for one pay it no mind when working. I AM ethnic. I'm part
West-African and it shows in my hair and in my culture. Why should I bury any physical
evidence of that because white (corporate) America doesn't like it?? I spend as much time grooming and deciding on clothing as anyone else. I'm always so fresh and so clean. Get used to it because I'm not changing.

Now back to your question, Tickledpink. I find that the idea of the "professional look" is slowly being blurred and redefined. Many people, not just black people, are demanding that professional jobs accept not just their ethnicity/culture, but their creativity. Company's were/still are being sued for trying to dictate what is professional. While organizations like AKA can reject people that don't fit the image they would like, companies are loosing millions of dollars in lawsuits because they attempted to do the very same thing.

A few weeks ago a man in another state attracted a lot of attention because he was selling so many suits at his upscale retail job he was making more than the store manager
($250,000+). I saw him in the paper. There he was, locs and all, just smiling away.

[This message has been edited by Poplife (edited May 07, 2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Poplife,

Though I agree with you on all fronts,
the truth is that we all have to conform in some way.. my studies taught me that in many non western cultures people
have a different concept of time than we do..ie the meeting begans when everyone arrives..now we all know that this will not fly..

I love to see my brother and sisters in natural styles ( I have braids right now)

I just live in a very real world and here in Texas people are still very conservative (JW Bush territory)
Just my thoughts

------------------
IVY in my HAND-- AKA in my HEART

[This message has been edited by loviest95 (edited May 07, 2001).]
Old 05-07-2001, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by loviest95:
Poplife,

Though I agree with you on all fronts,
the truth is that we all have to conform in some way.. my studies taught me that in many non western cultures people
have a different concept of time than we do..ie the meeting begans when everyone arrives..now we all know that this will not fly..

I love to see my brother and sisters in natural styles ( I have braids right now)

I just live in a very real world and here in Texas people are still very conservative (JW Bush territory)
Just my thoughts

Yes, we all have to conform in someway. I just think people are bending the rules as to which way they conform. I also think anyone who is living lives in a real world. My reality may be very different from yours, but it's all still very real.

I'm not really against being conservative, but I am against out and out discrimination because someone doesn't look a certain way.
Old 05-07-2001, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate to sound like the racist of the group, but I think that most things we do as African Americans are fine as long as it is in good taste with us (I mean, who can really say how a certain style should look on Us but US). And I think some "white" folx is just mad because they can't do things like we do it so they try to keep us from doing it.

Old 05-08-2001, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree that as long as the braids or dreads are clean and well kept then it will be professional looking. My father recently grew his hair out and got it braided and I was shocked that he could wear his hair like that to work. But his braids look good and they are kept up nicely. I think corporate America is becoming more diverse and braids and dreads are becoming more "acceptable." The only time I would say that the braids are unnacceptable would be those times when its "half done" or it looks like it has lint in it. As far as human resources go, the dress code could simply state, that if wearing braids, they must be well kept, and all the way done. The company can give an example of what is acceptable and what is not and if you fall into the category of what's not acceptable then you are in violation.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting topic,

I've been struggling over the last two years to decide what it is that I want to do with my hair. Currently, it's an extremely close natural. I'm debating about growing it into locks and am concerned about how it will appear professionally.

I am very neat in my appearance and would not come to work less than that. The question I have is whether or not if there was a project to come up that would require a lot of exposure to our clients would I be NOT chosen. The final question is in growing locks or wearing braids do they retard your growth in a corporate firm? I think that although it's been established that companies cannot discriminate based on hairstyle, subliminally, decisions may be made that may retard your career growth.

What yall think?

------------------
"Unless you know the road you've come down, you cannot know where you are going"
~Temme proverb, Sierre Leone~
Old 05-08-2001, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Depending on your profession, braids on men can be "unprofessional". If you are in a "creative" profession or individual one, whatever attire or adornment you choose, is fine. However, if you are representing a privately owned company to the public, that company has a right to dictate how you, the individual, can represent THEIR company. I am in sales and I know that I cnnot represent my company looking "thugged out", be it in braided hair, gold teeth, etc. Being ehtnic does not mean being "thugged out", or "ghetto". Black people have always been able to express themselves tastefully and within corporate guidelines. I don't think we need to bring the "street" into our workplaces, churches, or schools. Braided hair on men (it is not part of our ethnic heritage) is for the streets, the basketball court, or BET, not for corporate settings. Women, different story.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Discogoddess
Quote:
Originally posted by DoggyStyle82:
Braided hair on men (it is not part of our ethnic heritage) is for the streets, the basketball court, or BET, not for corporate settings. Women, different story.
What makes you draw the conclusion that braided hair for men is not part of our ethnic heritage? Are you speaking only of our heritage since arriving in America? I'm asking for clarification.

I don't agree that braids on men are exclusively a "thugged out" look. It depends on the braids, the wearer, his overall style (clothes, grooming) and the level of upkeep.

Old 05-08-2001, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Discogoddess:
What makes you draw the conclusion that braided hair for men is not part of our ethnic heritage? Are you speaking only of our heritage since arriving in America? I'm asking for clarification.

While in America, male slaves, post slavery, through the decades up to the '60s, men did not wear braided hairstyles. Maybe you can tell me which African tribes that we descend from wore them. I know that the Masai people of East Africa wear them, but I am unaware of any males of West or West-Central Africa that wear braids and/or locks/dreads

I'm not implying that there is anything wrong with braids. It is just that I have not witnessed the "cultural" or "historical" link that Africans or African American men wear braids, especially in professional settings, i.e, ministers, doctors, dentists, lawyers, salespeople, politicians, etc. I don't recall the N.O.I or any of the Black Panthers or any Afro-centric organization of the militant '60s wearing braids, like I notice on the people outside of professional life.

Cornel West has worn an afro for a long time but I have never seen it braided in public.

Old 05-08-2001, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

DISCOGODDESS: good post. Just one thing though, we have never been separated from our native hairstyles. Most Black women, especially rural women did not perm their hair until much later. I have seen plenty of pictures of my mother and aunts with their hair in its natural state. When you were a little girl, I am sure that your hair was not permed, but rather styled or worn in its natural state in a very African/African American style i.e. plaits, braids, pigtails, ponytails, Afro-puffs. So there was a connection to our roots. Black men wore their hair short because it is either too hot for manual labor or too dangerous to work near machinery. Of course, the kind of men who "conked" their hair then are the same kind who sport braids now.

Pertaining to Africa, none of the pictures, drawings, or photographs, of West or Southern Africans portray any of the males as having long hair, braided hair, or locked hair. If someone can tell me if locks appeared before the advent of Rastafarianism, I'd like to know or if braids worn by men appeared before the 1960's.

BTW: Braids can be worn tastefully and professionally, but it is not necessarily racist or culturally insensitive if people find them disconcerting in a professional environment.
Old 05-08-2001, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

i like folks w/braids or dreads, to me they're sharp. i must draw the line at cornrows. i didn't like them in the 70s, now they look unattractive and dated in the 00s. i don't want to see any one fired for this look or turned away from a BGLO but to me personally, they make a person look like a walking mugshot.
Old 05-08-2001, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by WenD08:
i like folks w/braids or dreads, to me they're sharp. i must draw the line at cornrows. i didn't like them in the 70s, now they look unattractive and dated in the 00s. i don't want to see any one fired for this look or turned away from a BGLO but to me personally, they make a person look like a walking mugshot.
cornrows on male or females or both? Just asking I wear cornrows sometimes, it pulls your hair less then flowing braids. I hope mines are not dated ;-)