GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,162
Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, Duece464
» Online Users: 884
0 members and 884 guests
No Members online

Old 01-28-2015, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Legacy Status

Do other Chapters know if you are a Legacy to another Chapter on campus? I have heard that in some situations Chapters will drop the PNM assuming they will pledge the legacy chapter. My daughter is not attached to any chapter and I was wondering if disclosing the Legacy is in her best interest?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

It may not be up to you. Sometimes your rec writers may know and may include that information. Sometimes others know and tell them. It's really not something you can totally control. And it will vary from campus to campus. So, bottom line, there is no hard and fast answer.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard that at some competitive schools, PNMs will leave out legacy info on the general recruitment form, but will include it in the rec letter to the legacy chapter.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

On other threads, we've pretty much agreed that if a PNM wants to keep an open mind about pledging something other than her legacy group, she needs to let her hosts know at each house....especially if the PNM has a sibiling currently active in school.
She doesn't have to say that to the legacy chapter, though.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:51 AM
GreekChat Member

If I know that a PNM is a legacy to any house on a particular campus, I always include that in the rec to my chapter - whether the PNM has told me to or not.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
If I know that a PNM is a legacy to any house on a particular campus, I always include that in the rec to my chapter - whether the PNM has told me to or not.
I do the same because it shows that the family is aware of the commitments, both financially and time wise. You would be surprised how some families with no Greek members don't understand commitments. I had a father contact an advisor last year asking if there were scholarships available to help pay his DD's dues. She ended up depledging.

Last edited by Benzgirl; 01-29-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I had a father contact an advisor last year asking if there were scholarships available to help pay his DD's dues.
We've had new members ask this every year. I think students are used to financial aid being readily available for college expenses...we're trying to not mention anything about academic scholarships during recruitment, so PNMs don't confuse the sorority's academic scholarships with non-existent dues/fee scholarships.

I agree that familiarity with sorority membership obligations, as indicated by legacy status on a rec, does indicate that the PNM likely has more awareness of the financial obligations.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

My thoughts exactly.