Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 852
5 members and 847 guests
Cookiez17, IndianaSigKap, JayhawkAOII, John

Old 07-26-2004, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lilcatwngs
re-affiliation

Hey all, I talked to my GC <> and she suggested I put this topic out there to get you girls talking!

Ok, I am transferring to a new school and want to reaffiliate. It seems like such a huge process and my old chapter isn't talking to me anymore (at least they aren't responding to my emails) and I'm worried that it will take forever to go through. Plus, I still have to get voted on. Have any of you gone through the reaffiliation process? Have any thoughts on it? Anything will be appreciated. Hugs, Katie
Old 07-27-2004, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Do you mean that this sister is just transferring to a different school and wants to affiliate with the chapter on the new campus?

The process isn't that difficult - a couple of things have to happen, first of which she needs to have all financial obligations paid to the chapter of initiation. A form is completed (of course) and I believe that the Province Director (or chapter advisor) may also have to sign off giving the a-ok to the, "Yes this sister is leaving our campus in good standing."

I would recommend that she email/contact the chapter advisor or province director if the chapter sisters aren't being very understanding of the situation.

Of course once she gets to the new campus there are a few requirements that are also needed (the form is one of them.)

I guess your term re-affiliation confused me...if I misunderstood your meaning, let me know.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I should clarify since I am Katies GC <>, she is hoping to affiliate to the UNC-Charlotte chapter. She is already doing AWESOME because she has been in contact with the Chapter Advisor and what not.

I think what she really wants to know is 'HOW' the affliation process works.

I can only tell her what I knew and my attempted affliation was just a extremely BAD experience, (If you would like to know what happened to me when I attempted to affiliate to Gamma Rho please PM me and I will let you know).

For some weird reason I was told affiliation is a "3 month process", which made know sense to me considering I was only an Alpha for like 6 weeks.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-27-2004, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

At Akron we've had several girls affiliate with us from other chapters. One was from Mount Union when I was in and we had another from a southern school while I was there. If you get the paperwork filled and your chapter of initiation is on the ball, and you are in contact with the Prov Dir and scuh, it is a easy process. Its all of the above that takes time. We had a girl want to affiliate with us and she got all the paperwork and such done in the summer and was able to help with recruitment in Sept. I think it depends on if you can get people on the ball to help this all go smoothly. Also how long everything will take to get done. It could take a while, but could turn out really fast, just depends. Try to get everyone moving on the process and hopefully, it wont take as long.

Im sorry if your old chapter wont talk to you. Its a shame just because you want to go to another school, they make you feel bad. Just try to get them to get the forms filled out.

Last edited by ADPiShannan; 07-27-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

The process should not take 60 days or 6 months. It is a fairly easy process.

I have attached the Transfer Approval form here for you. I would recommend completing the form for your old president and sending it to her, and cc: the chapter advisor and the PD and ask for their prompt attention. I would also send her an addressed envelope for sending it to your new chapter with the postage paid. Maybe that will help speed up the process.

Transfer Approval Form

http://www.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=C...08554CD039864D

Unfortunately, if the paperwork is not completed, the new chapter can not allow you to affiliate.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you so much! I emailed the form to my advisor and she still hasn't emailed me back, even though she has sent other emails to the listserve. She seems a little mad that I am leaving too but I just hope that she doesn't take that out by not filling out my forms. I've been emailing and talking with the advisor here (Charlotte) and she is soooo nice and helpful. I just sent her an email asking if it would be possible for me to help with recruitment in any way. Who knows, there may be! I only have seen informal recruitment so I would love to see formal. I also and debating about living on the hall, but am way up in the air about that. I emailed her about that too and hopefully will hear back soo. Thanks again ladies!
Old 07-27-2004, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I honestly think its a GREAT idea to live in the hall!!!! I know, Lauren, one of our affilates, lived in the house her first semester and she was soooo nervous, but loved it. I really think if you are outgoing or just willing to get to know everyone, its better to be there so you get to see people and get to know more people on personal levels. Instead of just coming over, youre there. I know its hard since youre new, but one, youre a sister, and two its just like college meeting new roommates you dont know and all. I really think you should do this. Itll make your willingness to become their sister even more apparent and I know youll love it.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't your current chapter president have to write a letter of recommendation to the new chapter? My best friend in the whole world transferred from Ashland to Akron and I thought this was one of the steps?!?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

After consulting a famous book that any chapter officer should remember...I have listed a post in the chapter section of Pride OnLine.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait til my member # comes through so I can go to Pride Online!

Ok, here's what I'm thinking. I am not a big socializer, more the quiet type who likes her alone time. I am not big on clubs or staying out all night drinking. I know we shouldn't care what other people think about us but when I live on the hall, sometimes I feel like I should be happy and fun all the time or no one will like me. That stresses me out about living on the hall. (That and having to eat campus food, lol.) I'm worried that the sisters would think I am antisocial - but then, if I live off campus I might never see them! Plus, dorms suck! (scuse the language but they do!) The college finally approved plans for Greek housing so we will get a house in about 2 years!!!! I hope I am still here and wish it were sooner!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

The form I posted really depicts the entire process. The president does not write a letter of recommendation. She just has to sign the transfer approval form that the member is in good standing. It is nothing more than a paperwork process.

Regarding living in the hall. DO IT! Even though dorms are limiting in space and the food is less than stellar. When in your life are you ever going to live that close to your friends? It will be much easier than you think to affiliate if you live on the hall -- and it will be fun!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I STRONLGLY agree. It gives you a way to get to know these sisters very fast and inside and out. You never have to pretend to be happy all the time, noone is. If you dont like to go out all the time, go a few times, if you have time, and stay in the rest. I just feel this is the perfect way for you, its just a way and I know youll become such GREAT friends with the ones living in the hall. It just seems the best thing to do when you affiliate. I know thats what our sister did who came from another school. She was scared at first, then loved it.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ADPiAkron
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't your current chapter president have to write a letter of recommendation to the new chapter? My best friend in the whole world transferred from Ashland to Akron and I thought this was one of the steps?!?
Ok...I read over what Christy put on PO...I am not sure if it is an actual letter but one of the things it does say you need is a completed Transfer Approval Form (suwhitestl posted) and a favorable recommendation from her chapter of Initiation.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
I strongly recommend getting as involved with the chapter as possible during the process and afterwards. Remember that when you affiliate, you are no longer associated with your initiating chapter. All reunions, conventions, etc will list you with the new chapter. These will be the sisters you associate with in the years to come. Please please please get involved. I have had several sisters affiliate to our chapter while I was a collegiate. And none of them became very active. It is a shame now. It was great talking to them and learning about things that each chapter did differently or did to make things unique.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Just want to clarify...you're never "disaffiliated" (for lack of a better term) from your initiation chapter. There are sisters that attend convention and have both chapters listed on their nametags, and EO's database would have you listed under both chapters.