GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,380
0 members and 1,380 guests
No Members online

Old 03-11-2003, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
Ohio U Sigma Chis

It was just announced that as of 5pm this afternoon Sigma Chi was no longer a fraternity on Ohio University's campus. All sophomores are being made to move out of their house and they won't be elligible to even petition the university for reinstatement until 2007 (i think that's the correct year). they still have their charter though. This was a huge shock to a lot of people in our greek community. it seems like OU's administration is becoming very anti-greek. there have been rumors about other chapters being in trouble, but this is the first GLO to be kicked off.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Man that really sucks. This happened to our Sigma Chi chapter this past semester, but they got their charter yanked too. It's so sad when something like this happens, even if it's eventually for the best...
Old 03-11-2003, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

It was rumored that Sigma Chi had been in trouble for a number of years, but that the former Ohio University President (Charles Ping) is a Sigma Chi and protected them.

I don't know for sure that's true.

The present president is reported to be fairly anti-Greek.

I personally feel badly about this because the Sigs I knew years ago at O.U. were really outstanding people.

The cynical side of me would wonder if the university doesn't want to take over the Sigma Chi House since I believe they want to build a new College of Communication building into the hill that the house sits atop.

I have also heard they would like the Delt property, but I think as long as the Galbreath family is donating millions of dollars we may be safe. John Galbreath, The late real estate tycoon and sportsman (Darby Dan and the Pittsburgh Pirates), is a Beta Chapter Delt.

But, as I say, only the cynic in me has these thoughts.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to shadowstar
why did the university decide to kick them off in the first place?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
Our greek advisor made the announcement at the WPA meeting last night. Apparently they had been on probation with the univerisity for 10 years. In that time they were off probation for a total of 28 days. Last spring they had a "kelly and zack's prom" theme date party at a local rec center that forbid alcohol and they had 4 tubs of it. one was marked freshman, one sophomores, one juniors, and one seniors. they got into some kind of fight and the cops were called. i'm not sure what else has happened. Deltalum is right, they are two doors down from the president's house and a rumor was going around last year that they were trying to get the Sigma Chis out of that house and give them a new one.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Only 28 days off probation in 10 years? Sounds like this suspension might just be justified.