GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,156
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 965
1 members and 964 guests
3DGator

Old 08-24-2002, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

JustHey's Rush Experience

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST!!!
Ok, well my first night of rush was Thursday night. But guess what, I did not know about it, so I did not attend. I didnt get any kind fo paper saying there would be a meeting, and I didnt see anything posted around campus. And good god, I LIVE on a sorority floor, and most of THEM didnt know about it. Anyways, I was afraid that I was going to have to drop out, but, I went to the Student Affairs office the next day, and they said that it was just an info meeting for girls who had not actually signed up to rush yet. So phew, I didnt miss anything.
Good thing I went up there, too. I found out some interesting info. First thing, I found out that only 75 girls had actually signed up AND PAID for rush. Last year they had 150 girls go through, so this worries me a little. I know that quota last year was 35, this year its going to be closer to like 20 if more girls dont sign up.
I also have some fears. The first party night is Monday. What we do is we all do little crafty projects out in this main area of campus at picnic tables while the sororities (i think only a certain number of girls from each sorority are allowed to attend) just come around and introduce themselves to girls. This is where the problem comes in. I live on the AOPi floor, and I am afraid that snice the AOPi girls already know me better than they should, that they are going to come up and talk to me, and then the other sororities will see all of them around, and not even want to talk to me bc they may think my mind is already made up. WHICH IT ISNT!!! I really have no idea where I want to go, and although I think the girls on my floor are GREAT girls, funny, pretty, smart, nice, etc, how do I know that I might not fit in with some other girls even better? AAAHHHHH. I hope there are rules about how long a sorority is allowed to talk to you or something.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck Justhey!! I am glad that you got all that stuff straightened out. While going through rush just be yourself and follow your heat!! As for sororities talking to you during recuitment, outside the parties (that is if it is formal rush), they really aren't suppose to do that...but I am sure your recruitment leader will explain all that to you. So just relax and have fun meeting new people. We can't wait to hear the rest of your story!! Take care and remember to smile!

Kappa Delta Sorority

Sigma Alpha Iota Music Fraternity
Old 08-24-2002, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

If registration numbers are low, then it means that sororities will be competing very hard for the few rushees, so be careful.

Yes, the sorority members on your floor should not be talking to you - if at all, it should only be dorm-related stuff "can you please unplug your hair dryer?" but what's nice is that at least you will see some famliar faces at their house.

Keep an open mind! That is most important.

Can you please post which school you're at and how many/which sororities are there? It makes it easy to follow your thread when it's posted near the beginning!

Thanks...and good luck!!!
Old 08-24-2002, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

How do your parties go after Monday's first round? I would guess that even if many women from your floor talk to you on Monday, you would still have time to spend with women from other orgs. at other parties that week?

I'd love to hear more about how your rush goes, because it sounds different from most other rushes I've heard about here. Do you go to all the orgs. after Monday's round?
Old 08-24-2002, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Hehe, just to clear some things up. Monday IS formal rush, and the sororities are supposed to talk to us, but instead of four separate parties hosted by each chapter, there is one big party held out in a main feild area where a select number of girls from each house come to the party with all the PNM's and talk to them. This is at least how I understand it will work (I didnt go to the info meeting, so it is obvious that I could be slightly confused as to how things work). After that, we go to normal parties starting Tuesday. Tuesday we will visit the four sorority floors. Wednesday, we will again go to all four of the chapters, but this time, it will be more of a party held in rooms in the University Center. Then Thursday is skit night, and we go to three chapters, then Friday is Pref night, and we go to two chapters, and Saturday morning is Bid Day!!!!

So yes, to answer valkyrie, I will get a chance to meet the girls in other houses on the party nights if I dont get too much of an opportunity on monday.

And KDonline. The houses on campus at Northeastern State are AOPi, DZ, Tri Sigma, and ASA, but I have not decided if I will use the actual sorority names when I post about the parties, bc I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings say, if i say on here that I liked XYZ the best, and put them first on my pref card, but then end up going ABC bc they bid on me and XYZ didnt (NOT to say I would just pledge ANY house bc they gave me a bid, but it might happen!!), I would just feel a little bad.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

KDonline~ What do you mean if numbers are low they will be competing feircely for girls and to be careful? Wouldnt this work to my advantage? I dont understand!
Old 08-24-2002, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

What I meant was that if 75 girls are registered & there's an even distribution between the 4 sororities, that leaves about 18 per house. Quota may or may not be that number - I don't know how it's figured.

Yes, it can work to your advantage because if quota is 18 or lower, then you have an excellent chance of getting a bid at any of the houses.

So, the houses have 18 girls they need to pick to make quota. Odds are that all of them will be after the same 30 or so rushees - this is where the sororities will have to "sell themselves" - this is how the rushee makes her decision too, of course.

The thing is, if any sorority members talk to you outside of rush, this can be construed as "dirty rushing" - this is what you need to be careful about.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:34 AM

Justhey, good luck! With only 75 PNM's going through, it'll be easier for you to stand out.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:27 PM

Good luck justhey! Even if you're not using the names I am so excited to finally read a rush story with ASA in it!

As far as the big party where the sorority members circulate around to the PNM's, I'm betting that (even though it might not be visible) that the amount of time the sisters spend w/ PNM's will be strictly timed, and even more so if the number of PNM's is lower than last year. About how many students are at Northeastern anyway?
Old 08-26-2002, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

YEAH-- finally 33girl and I are getting some ASA stories-- I won't be offended if you talk about ASA. You'd be any in any of the 4 houses I think.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

This just in...175 ladies are signed up for recruitment at NSU as of noon today! Yeah! There may be more, though...PNMs have until 5:00 today CST to sign up!
Old 08-26-2002, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Just finished today. Like sailboatgirl said, we got lots more girls, up to about 175, which, from what I understand, is a record. So that is really exciting. all of the PNM's and Rho Chi's met in the "Spirit Pit" and got into four groups. Then, we walked around the town and colleceted cans for the Tahlequah Food pantry. It was a whole lot of fun. I met a really nice girl from ASA, and a nice girl from DZ. I didnt really get a chance to meet anyone from another sorority, seeing as my group split up to gather more cans efficiently (it was a competition to see who could get the most cans), but, there is pleanty more time for that once parties start tomorrow night. I was soooo nervous last night that I was just POSITIVE that I was not going through rush, but today really eased my mind, and I think I am going to have a lot of fun.
All in all, I am having fun, and I am really looking forward to tomorrow night!!!!!
Old 08-26-2002, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Have fun tomorrow night. Remember, be yourself.
Try not to get too nervous and stuff...lol
Old 08-27-2002, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad that you had a nice time last night! You'll meet a few more members tonight during floor night and tomorrow night you'll meet all the members of each sororities when parties start!

Once again, good luck!
Old 08-27-2002, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

justhey76,
Good luck with recruitment, you have great chapters to get to know. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your experience!