Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,389
0 members and 1,389 guests
No Members online

Old 11-04-2003, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pasta162 Send a message via AIM to Pasta162 Send a message via Yahoo to Pasta162
Post Honorary Member William the Bailiff

Honorary Member William Bowers
On Saturday November 1st William Bowers was initiated in the Bond of Tau Kappa Epsilon at the U of H Teke House. William is the bailiff on the TV show Texas Justice and a Harris County Deputy. Last time we were on Texas Justice for a fundraiser John “Chew” Barton recommended William for honorary membership. William, who has been with the Harris County Sheriff's Department for nearly two years and is an active member of the Harris County Deputies' Organization is now scroll #220 of Rho Rho chapter (Sam Houston State) and wants to be an active part of the chapter.

Last edited by Pasta162; 11-04-2003 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pasta162 Send a message via AIM to Pasta162 Send a message via Yahoo to Pasta162
Harris County deputy becomes local TV star

By Cheryl Skinner

Harris County Deputy William Bowers has become somewhat of a television star. But as the bailiff on Fox network's "Texas Justice" program, Bowers is not only in the limelight, but has a following of dedicated fans. In fact he has become so popular the network hired an off-duty Houston Police officer to "watch over me," he says.

Bowers, who has been with the Harris County Sheriff's Department for nearly two years and is an active member of the Harris County Deputies' Organization, says he came by the role of Texas Justice bailiff quite by accident. "I was working an extra job when the director came into Whole Food Market for breakfast. She approached me and asked if I would be on the new television show. I auditioned and they stopped and said "we got our guy" and the rest is history," says Bowers.

Before joining the local sheriff's department, Bowers was a police officer for a town in Montgomery County. He says he thoroughly enjoys his role on television but admits this extra job is demanding. "This is a big sacrifice. We film two days a week and on Friday's I get off at six a.m. and have to be at the studio at 7 a.m. We tape until 5:30 or 6:00 p.m. and I have to be back to work at the SO at 10 p.m. and I had to take the third shift to be able to do this," he said.

But there are perks with the new job. Bowers is picked up at the Sheriff's Department by a limousine and he admits being a celebrity is very flattering. His popularity is growing and now people are calling the station wanting pictures of the lawman.

And, it is fun to play the part of the bailiff on the reality based court program. "I just keep order in the court and protect the judge," Bowers says. The show is the only Texas court program aired on television and, at press time, the show was scheduled to go from being broadcast only on Texas networks to national syndication. The judge is Larry Joe Doherty, a Houston attorney. Like other court TV programs, the show airs actual litigation filed by citizens. "These are real cases from all over Texas that stem from civil actions like accidents, money being owed and other similar cases,:" Bowers explains.

He likens the new program to Judge Judy with a twang.

Texas Justice airs daily for thirty minutes beginning at 8:30 a.m. on KRIV television, where the program is filmed before a life studio audience. The audience members are also members of the public. One woman comes to the program regularly from Austin Texas.

Bowers says he is getting more and more airtime as his popularity grows.

Becoming a star, signing autographs and having a growing number of groupies is flattering, Bowers says and his wife, Bridgette, "is all right with it," he adds.

His sons, Tremond, 11, Treveon, 9, and Dexter, 8, think it is cool for dad to be a television personality.

While the show is at times comical, sometimes tempers do flare and "people get serious," Bowers says. But he manages to keep the peace with a smile and this adds to his popularity. "The ratings are marvelous and I think the show is going to hold its own," Bowers says.

Bowers wears the Harris County uniform and he feels his exposure on television is good and positive publicity for the department.

Bowers is currently assigned to 701 Jail and he doesn't plan to give up his day job to go to Hollywood just yet anyhow.

"It is just fun and it is an interesting extra job. With the ratings good and everyone watching religiously, I hope it will last a while," says Bowers.

The show features Judge Doherty dishing out justice, Texas style, with a genuine Texas accent. The courtroom has a western motif, which adds to the eclectic feel of the program.

And, the litigants are all winners, even those who have emotional outbursts. By agreeing to come to the show to settle pending litigation, each participant is paid. The litigant who prevails against the other is paid whatever sum deemed by the court but the other party does get something for the appearance. "No one loses," says Bowers.

In addition to being a deputy, a member of HCDO, and a television personality, Bowers also is a member of the Sheriff's Department's honor guard.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
Congrats on his membership!