GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,168
Threads: 115,578
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,571
3 members and 1,568 guests
John, UVASquirrel

Old 08-24-2011, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Transferring and formal recruitment as a senior?

Okay..so I'm considering transferring for fall 2012 and if I did so I would probably go through formal recruitment. Technically I would be at a senior standing, but I would have at least 2 maybe 3 years left due to changing my major twice and leaving the program I am in currently. I know that damages my chances, but I was wondering if my being a legacy would help repair my chances even a little? If you could give me any advice at all that would be great! Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 PM

It REALLY depends what school you're attending.

Sweeping generalization: Check out the "schools where you absolutely positively need recs" thread. If your school-to-be is on that list, you probably don't have a snowball's chance in hell, mainly because there are tons of other Theta legacies who also are freshmen.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

That username...

Old 08-24-2011, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

@knight_shadow Haha I just really had no idea what to do for a username :P

@33girl thanks! I just checked it out and its on the "Up for Debate" list so I'm thinking it's probably unlikely then.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
That username...
NPC wise, that's ok. (No different than MomOfDG or the like.) If she was "ThetaToBe" or "ThetaRules" that would be a no go.

If any of the Thetas on the board have a problem with the letter usage, they'll no doubt let her know.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

That's what I get for swerving

*kicks rocks*

Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
That's what I get for swerving

*kicks rocks*
lol
Old 08-24-2011, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
NPC wise, that's ok. (No different than MomOfDG or the like.) If she was "ThetaToBe" or "ThetaRules" that would be a no go.

If any of the Thetas on the board have a problem with the letter usage, they'll no doubt let her know.
Meh, I am not bothered so long as username doesn't assume that username is entitiled to anything. So far, so good on that front.

Best to you, legacy. My suggestion is just to fade back into lurkerdome. Read the stickies, as well as other threads that relate to your school. At many schools there are tons of Theta legacies, therefore, you can not assume that even if your school will bid a senior that Theta is a lock for you. Look at all groups. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAΘlegacy View Post
@33girl thanks! I just checked it out and its on the "Up for Debate" list so I'm thinking it's probably unlikely then.
I would air on the side of caution and get as many recs as you can for each group. "Up for Debate" is not a definite YES or NO. Also, wouldn't most rec forms have a section where the class standing/years left in college could be explained?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

If you want to join a sorority, you have nothing to lose by trying and preparing the best you can. Get as many recs as you can, get the best grades you can, but know that because you are going to a reasonably competitive school, despite having 2-3 years left, your class standing may still be a negative. Understand that despite recs and all the preparation in the world, it still might not work out, so you need to be emotionally prepared to deal with that rejection.

Being a Theta legacy could only give you a legup in Theta, not to the other chapters on your campus. As a senior, you need to be open to every chapter to have a shot at being Greek. (Or at least don't cry about how you can't be Greek if you turned down a bid/invite.) Personally, I think a PNM who is a legacy to any NPC is more likely to be a good member because she is more likely to understand the obligations and expectations of membership. Others may not feel the same.

Like Blondie said, your best bet is to fade into lurkerdom, read the stickies, etc. You've outed yourself as a Theta legacy and fourth year student in Fall 2012, which makes you pretty unique. If you say something stupid/offensive on GC (not saying you would, but hey, it can happen to the best of us), it won't be hard for the wrong people to find out who you are. Anyone can read these boards, no sign-in required.

Good luck to you.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

In other words, if you want to chat more, get a new user name and don't mention those facts again. Nothing you've said so far is problematic, but security is the key.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
In other words, if you want to chat more, get a new user name and don't mention those facts again. Nothing you've said so far is problematic, but security is the key.
Especially considering what happened to Wary and her daughter. I would hate to see that happen to any other PNMs on here.