GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,450
0 members and 1,450 guests
No Members online

Old 10-08-2003, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

colonies

does anyone know the panhellenic rules for starting a colony when the existing sororities are not quite at total?
Old 10-08-2003, 01:42 PM

For NPC orgs, the school's Panhellenic would have to vote to allow expansion. A vote like that probably wouldn't pass if all the sororities are well below total, because that's a sign that the demand for a new sorority isn't there. If only a few sororities are below total and they're not very far below, an expansion vote might pass. It also depends on how recruitment has been going.

If the idea of expansion is being considered because there's an interest group of women, Panhel may invite the women to form a local sorority and try again in a few years.

For non-NPC orgs, the process is different and would probably involve going through the Greek Life office.

It would help if we had more details...

(edited for clarity)

Last edited by aephi alum; 10-08-2003 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
NPC groups have to be "invited" by the college panhellenic to start a colony (whether it's to absorb an existing local or through an open colonization).
Old 10-08-2003, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah...what AEPhi Alum said!!! (I was a minute later with my response.) :)
Old 10-08-2003, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

However, there are non-NPC groups that from what I've seen on here will consider colonies on such campuses.

See the thread in Rush titled "Rush at UCSC" (I hope that's not mistitled).

The thread's a long read, but could provide you with some good info.

Here's a link:

http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...threadid=10264
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 10-08-2003, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

There are six sororities on campus- 2 are at total, and I heard 2 are close to making total. Locals aren't allowed on campus. We wanted to start a chapter that isn't already here. The advisor of greek life told me that all the sororities HAD to be above total for another group to come on campus but someone told me that it only took a majority vote for the panhellenic council to decide.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
You need an administration to want expansion of the sorority system, along with the nod from panhellenic to get the ok to INVITE groups to present for expansion. Once the presents are done, the panhellenic will vote for the group that they think will best fit with campus, etc. That group is invited to colonize.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Panhellenic has been in contact with our greek life advisor but she says the only thing stopping us from is exapnsion is numbers. But~ it seems to me that if numbers are low, obviously the needs of the PNM's are not being met. Don't get me wrong- I rushed and all the houses were so welcoming, but I didn't find a sisterhood where I felt comfortable. So the thing I'm wondering is- does every house absolutely have to be at total for expansion?
Old 10-08-2003, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

And vice versa - just because not all the groups aren't at total, doesn't mean they WONT vote for expansion....

Bittebear, I'm not sure exactly how your panhel works, but there should be a way to contact the representatives from each chapter. Rather than going through the greek advisor, maybe you could contact the individual chapter representatives and get some feedback from them. I know for a fact campuses have voted to expand even when there are chapters below total.

I would say if the Greek advisor seems to be a dead end, reach out to the members for help.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

pirepresent~ thanks so much!
Old 10-08-2003, 02:27 PM

The greek life advisor might also be hearing from her higher ups that they don't want another sorority on campus until the exisiting ones are all at total, so that could be why she said that.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
The greek life advisor might also be hearing from her higher ups that they don't want another sorority on campus until the exisiting ones are all at total, so that could be why she said that.
...OR it might be in the bylaws of the college panhellenic.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by pirepresent
And vice versa - just because not all the groups aren't at total, doesn't mean they WONT vote for expansion....

Bittebear, I'm not sure exactly how your panhel works, but there should be a way to contact the representatives from each chapter. Rather than going through the greek advisor, maybe you could contact the individual chapter representatives and get some feedback from them. I know for a fact campuses have voted to expand even when there are chapters below total.

I would say if the Greek advisor seems to be a dead end, reach out to the members for help.
I would respectfully disagree. It would be more appropriate to contact the Panhellenic officers, not each sorority's Panhellenic representative. Plus, I can't imagine that the Greek Life advisor wouldn't be in close contact with the Panhellenic council. She's probably basing her response on a combination of her own views, administrative views, and (primarily) the feeling of Panhellenic. I think chapters would definately look askance at being contacted individually about expansion. That's not their job--it's Panhellenic's and the Greek life advisor.

Also: why didn't the groups at your school appeal to you? That matters a lot in this. If it's just a matter of reputation, that's probably not going to get you far. If there is a genuine niche (like, you want to found a traditionally Jewish sorority, mainly girls get released from every sorority every year (not that they withdraw from rush), or some groups haze) you have more of a valid position in the eyes of Panhellenic. You don't have to respond to that but keep that in mind--you will get asked that as you pursue your search. Your answer can't just be "I'm too cool for groups XYZ and ABC".

Last edited by breathesgelatin; 10-08-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bittebear
There are six sororities on campus- 2 are at total, and I heard 2 are close to making total.
What about the other two? If they're far from total, chances are a vote for expansion would not pass. You need a majority of the sororities to approve expansion, and my guess is that at least those two would vote no.

A quick clarification on what shadokat said: If there's a local sorority or interest group that wants to go national, and Panhel knows of its existence before voting for expansion, then the local group, not Panhel, gets to pick the national. So you wouldn't be forced into becoming a colony of XYZ if you really want ABC (provided, of course, that ABC is interested in expansion).

bittebear, I agree with BG, talk to the Panhel officers rather than the representatives.

Why aren't locals allowed? Is it the school administration's decision, or is it that locals can't join Panhel? (The latter is typical - locals usually can't get full voting rights in Panhel, but there is a category called associate membership that's often granted to locals and new colonies.) In any case, you may not be allowed to organize as a local, but hopefully you could still be recognized as an interest group.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2003, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry guys, the message was garbled - I meant Panhel in general, not specific chapter reps, or whatever. I just was saying it as a suggestion for her to try and get a better feel for why the Greek advisor is so adamant about all chapters being at total. My bad.

I know sometimes Greek advisors do not support recognizing locals because, with no national organization and standards to answer to, the greek office would then have more liability if there is a hazing issue. Not to knock all greek advisors or anything - I'm just saying that sometimes that can happen, and maybe getting another perspective might be helpful.