GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,112
0 members and 1,112 guests
No Members online

Old 12-08-2003, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

ZTA loses a new sister; 2 other students killed in crash

http://www.dallasnews.com/latestnews...tal.6fa60.html

3 students killed in highway crash
Lee County accident claims FM, Allen graduates and friend

08:43 PM CST on Sunday, December 7, 2003

By IAN McCANN / The Dallas Morning News

Jeannette Marquis, Adrienne Voorn and Meagan Duran had become close friends in their first few months at Texas State University in San Marcos.

They and Ms. Duran's roommate Rachel Wilson studied together, ate together and cared for each other when they were sick. Ms. Voorn, of Flower Mound, and Ms. Marquis, of Allen, lived in a room down the hall from the other two girls.

On their way to visit friends at Texas A&M University in College Station, Ms. Marquis, Ms. Voorn and Ms. Duran died in a collision Saturday afternoon, a loss that's just beginning to sink in for Ms. Wilson.

The four college freshmen – with different personalities, from different parts of the state – formed the kind of bond that only dorm life can create.

"Living on your own, it's just so nice to find people you can click with and cry with and laugh with," said Ms. Wilson, 18, of The Woodlands. "I'm still in shock. It was just a spur-of-the-moment trip for them."

The three died after a car traveling west on State Highway 21 in Lee County about 50 miles outside College Station ran onto the shoulder, overcorrected and crossed into the eastbound lanes. The cars hit nearly head-on about 2:45 p.m. Ms. Marquis and Ms. Voorn died at the scene. Ms. Duran was taken to a hospital and died later.

The driver of the other car, whose name wasn't released by Texas Department of Public Safety officials, was taken to Brackenridge Hospital in Austin, where she remained in critical condition. DPS officials said troopers are continuing to investigate why the woman lost control.

Ms. Marquis, 18, was the bubbly, outgoing one of the group. The 2003 Allen High School graduate helped to organize the Diamond Darlings, a group that decorated baseball players' lockers at the school. Among the people they were going to visit was her boyfriend, James Morgan, a Texas A&M student.

"She had a million friends – she was extremely social," her father, Mike Marquis, said Sunday. "I can tell you that at that Allen football game last night, half of the stadium knew about it, just from people talking about it."

Ms. Marquis was the oldest of two daughters.

Mr. Marquis said he was proud of his daughter, who had fit in well at Texas State. She had decided to study communications and had joined the Zeta Tau Alpha sorority.

"She looked forward to getting out of small-town Allen and spreading her wings," he said. "She was starting to soar."

Ms. Voorn, a 2003 Flower Mound High School graduate, was more quiet, with a small group of tight-knit friends. She began studying ballet at an early age and was part of the Rosettes, a dance group at the high school.

"It was gratifying to us to see she was doing so well" at Texas State, her father, Hans Voorn, said of his only daughter. He has two sons. "We had the usual concerns about whether she was going to make it so far from home. We were very happy to see that she had bonded with these girls."

Ms. Wilson said that Ms. Duran, a 19-year-old from the San Antonio suburb of Helotes, was less outgoing, like Ms. Voorn.

"We had the same sense of humor," Ms. Wilson said. "We wanted to stay roommates, and Jeannette and Adrienne wanted to stay roommates, and we were already talking about what dorm we wanted to live in next year."

Ms. Duran's family could not be reached for comment. Funeral services are pending for both Ms. Voorn and Ms. Marquis.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

This is such a sad situation. My thoughts and prayers are with all of the families as well as the Texas State ZTA chapter.

Thank you for posting this story. I plan to forward the info to my alumnae group.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

This a very tragic situation. My thoughts and prayers to the victims' families, friends and the Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority.

The Trolls have taken over the Asylum!
Old 12-08-2003, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

How tragic! My thoughts are with all three families and friends of the girls...
Old 12-08-2003, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

This story is truly horrible. Thought and countless prayers go out to the family, friends, and sisters of these girls. Around the holidays, its especially difficult. It makes you think twice about how lucky you truly are, and about how many things that you take for granted.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to the sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha! Having lost collegiate sisters unexpectantly reminds us that each day is precious.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to radioZTA Send a message via Yahoo to radioZTA
My thoughts and prayers are with their families.

My alumnae chapter has at least one member who knew Jeannette and we will be sending something to her family here in the Dallas area.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RMUamieZTA
I was so saddened to hear about this story- it is so tragic... and my thoughts, prayers and sympathy goes out to her family and her chapter... I also would like to thank everyone who has been thinking and praying for her and her family... Zeta has lost someone great and we will all miss her...
Old 12-08-2003, 08:00 PM

Having lost a sister in a car crash while I was a collegiate member I know what the chapter must be going through. My thoughts and well wishes go to my sisters at Texas State University- San Marcos.
ZLAM
Old 12-09-2003, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xoheatherxo
My thoughts are with all involved. This is such a sad situation, especially around the holidays.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
How sad My thoughts go out to the family, friends, and ZTA!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 12-09-2003, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
How truly tragic! My prayers and thoughts are with the family and friends of these 3 girls.

Nichole
Old 12-09-2003, 10:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Zetagymnast Send a message via Yahoo to Zetagymnast
My thougths and prayer are with the families of these girls. My prayers are also with the students and the Sisters of Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority. We have expericed a death of a student every year since I have been at my school. It is so sad and I know how they must feel. God is with them and they will be in my prayers tonight.