Welcome to our newest member, ibtisamkhan
» Online Users: 932
1 members and 931 guests
naraht

Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Vagina Gate- Michigan House of Representatives

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...iref=allsearch

As the Michigan House debated the most restrictive abortion laws in the country (and ended up passing them), two female Representatives were silenced and banned from speaking in front of the house for their comments on the subject. One held her hand up wanting to make an amendment that would require the same clinical requirements for clinics providing vasectomies and was not recognized to speak at all. She left the podium muttering vasectomy. The other was allowed to speak but said "I'm flattered that you are all so interested in my vagina, but no means no."

Both were barred from the floor because they "failed to maintain the decorum" of the House of Representatives.

While the issue of women's rights is an inflammatory one, if we could refrain from that discussion and discuss the squelching of debate on the House floor, that would probably be a more useful discussion.

My own Facebook exploded with this news. I know it was reported by the major news sources. Michigan is a hotbed of political strife right now- perhaps the most divided state in the nation.

In a curious twist, "The Vagina Monologues" will be performed on the state Capitol steps on Monday... http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...na-monologues/
Old 06-17-2012, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

There was one representative, state Rep. Mike Callton, "It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company."

Can we talk about how the anatomically correct term for a woman's body part is somehow offensive to say in front of the delicate women when trying to restrict what they can do with said body part?
Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Can we talk about how the anatomically correct term for a woman's body part is somehow offensive to say in front of the delicate women when trying to restrict what they can do with said body part?
Because people remain afraid of women's reproduction and vaginal discourse.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Because people remain afraid of women's reproduction and vaginal discourse.
Those people aren't women - drop the "delicate sensibilities" concept.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Those people aren't women - drop the "delicate sensibilities" concept.
Those people may not be women in the House of Representatives but they include women in the larger sense. There are women who are afraid of women's reproduction and vaginal discourse.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you trying to aggravate me or is that a happy side affect? This thinking of "I wouldn't say that in mixed company" is how this shit flies.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

What are you talking about?

Clearly you and I are having two different discussions.

DUH. The members of the House of Representatives who do not want the word "vagina" to be said are idiots. DUH.

I am talking about what I consider to be the more interesting thing which is that members of the House of Representatives are not the only idiots who feel this way--whether in a single-sex or mixed-sex environment. There is a much larger issue than the squelching of debate in the House and idiots in the House who cannot take the word "vagina".

Last edited by DrPhil; 06-17-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it's about the word vagina at all. It is about preventing the opposition from arguing their side for their constituents. They are using the "vagina" and "vasectomy" excuse to prevent the opposition from being heard.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't care what your political persuasion is, if you are a woman PLEASE vote. And please try to vote for people who will not be your enemy after they get elected?
Old 06-17-2012, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I. am. so. sick. of. the. Michigan. Republicans. who. have. not. done. ANYTHING. that. I. agree. with. since. this. term. began!!!

My husband is even more frustrated with them...and he doesn't even have a vagina.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I feel like unless you have one, you don't get to decide what goes on in there, finished, end of story.
Many people would not say this if they agreed with the decision.

Lawmakers and politicians make all sorts of decisions that they do not have personal or immediate experience with. While males-men do not have vaginas, they have a stake in what happens just as females-women have a stake in what happens with penises. This is not the fault of men lawmakers and politicians because there are plenty of women who give this "vaginal power" to men.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I. am. so. sick. of. the. Michigan. Republicans. who. have. not. done. ANYTHING. that. I. agree. with. since. this. term. began!!!

My husband is even more frustrated with them...and he doesn't even have a vagina.
It's getting pretty scary, isn't it? I feel very helpless and hopeless. I keep thinking "How are they getting away with this?" How do you withhold funds owed to a city or school district, put it in a financial crisis, then declare that it is in a financial crisis and take it over, eliminating all the elected officials? How is that legal? How do you ban legislators from being able to speak on the floor for no reason whatsoever? How do you decide to build a totally unnecessary second bridge to Canada? How do you deny a petition for the EFM law being put to a statewide vote because it supposedly isn't in 14 point font when the printer who created them says it is and used the same font that they used on all the other ACCEPTED petitions in the state. http://www.freep.com/article/2012061...cy-manager-law

I love this Rochelle Riley article.. I usually love her articles:

http://www.freep.com/article/2012061...-and-democracy

I feel like I'm living in an alternate reality state. One without democracy or a republic. My only hope is that this encourages people to get out and vote in the fall.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I feel like I'm living in an alternate reality state. One without democracy or a republic. My only hope is that this encourages people to get out and vote in the fall.
Through social media, I know I'm not alone in Mississippi feeling the same way you do, AGDee. For the first time in my life, I am joining public protests, and my lovely dear husband is coming with me. I am not conservative or liberal, I'm not a Democrat or a Republican, but I am alarmed and angry.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
It's getting pretty scary, isn't it? I feel very helpless and hopeless. I keep thinking "How are they getting away with this?" How do you withhold funds owed to a city or school district, put it in a financial crisis, then declare that it is in a financial crisis and take it over, eliminating all the elected officials? How is that legal? How do you ban legislators from being able to speak on the floor for no reason whatsoever? How do you decide to build a totally unnecessary second bridge to Canada? How do you deny a petition for the EFM law being put to a statewide vote because it supposedly isn't in 14 point font when the printer who created them says it is and used the same font that they used on all the other ACCEPTED petitions in the state. http://www.freep.com/article/2012061...cy-manager-law

I love this Rochelle Riley article.. I usually love her articles:

http://www.freep.com/article/2012061...-and-democracy

Amen to all of this. I never vote Republican, but I just didn't see any of this coming. I do remember Gov. Snyder stating that he was interested in getting Michigan back on track financially...that's where his business expertise came in, and that he was not interested in opening the floodgates on social issues like abortion, etc. Well, that didn't last long.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Amen to all of this. I never vote Republican, but I just didn't see any of this coming. I do remember Gov. Snyder stating that he was interested in getting Michigan back on track financially...that's where his business expertise came in, and that he was not interested in opening the floodgates on social issues like abortion, etc. Well, that didn't last long.
He did say that. We'll see if this passes the senate and whether he signs it if it does.

ETA: I'm just as upset with the cuts and the EFM situation and ... it goes on and on.

Last edited by AGDee; 06-17-2012 at 05:42 PM.