GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,196
2 members and 1,194 guests
IllyPolly, LaneSig

Old 02-12-2003, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down Ebay allows n.i.g.g.e.r. items

BLACKNEWS.COM CALLS FOR EBAY TO SHOW MORE RESPECT TOWARDS THE BLACK COMMUNITY

eBay, the world's largest online auction, allows "n****r" items to be sold

Long Beach, CA - It appears that eBay has disregarded their own rules regarding the sale of items that promote hatred and racial intolerance.

Apparently, they allow racially-offensive products to be sold and bought.

If you find this hard to believe, go to www.ebay.com, initiate a search using the word "n****r", and see how many racially-disgusting products appear. What makes this worse, is that these products are categorized as
collectibles, memorabilia, and cultural items.

BlackNews.com, the premier online African-American news destination, was alerted to this matter by one of their subscribers. Immediately, they initiated an effort to create an awareness amongst the African and
African-American community.

Dante Lee, President & CEO of A.S.J. Media - the ethnic marketing and public relations firm that owns and manages BlackNews.com, comments "I was very surprised that eBay, one of the only companies to stay afloat during the dot-bomb era, would display such insensitivity towards Africans and African-Americans. I know for sure that eBay is staffed with some of the
smartest and most tech-savvy individuals, but it is amazing to me that this was overlooked." Lee adds, "Our intentions are not to bash eBay nor are we
attempting to destroy their reputation because we personally feel eBay is a great online marketplace. However, at the same time, this is no small issue
and it should be addressed."

BlackNews.com is NOT calling for a boycott of eBay. However, if eBay does not address the issue as soon as possible, a boycott may be necessary.

-END-
Old 02-13-2003, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that a boycott is necessary. I am beginning to collect things like this. So far, I have a mammy salt and pepper shaker set, and a mammy toothpick holder. The reason that I am collecting these types of items is because it is a part of history. I am afraid that things like this will be written out of history and forgotten. I don't look at these items and see them promoting racial hatred. I look at them as historical and educational. I want to make sure that my children see they types of images that used to portray us. What's tripped out is, I have bought all of my mammy items in Florida. I've never seen it anywhere else. I've always wondered where else I could get it. Now I know that I could go on Ebay and find it. What I DID NOT expect was to do a search with the word n***er. I'm not so cool with that. But I am cool with the items being for sale.

BTW, does anyone know anywhere else to find items like these for sale?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ideal08
What I DID NOT expect was to do a search with the word n***er. I'm not so cool with that. But I am cool with the items being for sale.
Yes...that is my problem also. I do agree that these are a part of our history but to be able to type the N word to find products on Ebay. Um...NO.

If you take a road trip to see CT4 and take I-95, stop in Stuckeys. I've seen them there.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
I don't think that a boycott is necessary. I am beginning to collect things like this. So far, I have a mammy salt and pepper shaker set, and a mammy toothpick holder. The reason that I am collecting these types of items is because it is a part of history. I am afraid that things like this will be written out of history and forgotten. I don't look at these items and see them promoting racial hatred. I look at them as historical and educational. I want to make sure that my children see they types of images that used to portray us. What's tripped out is, I have bought all of my mammy items in Florida. I've never seen it anywhere else. I've always wondered where else I could get it. Now I know that I could go on Ebay and find it. What I DID NOT expect was to do a search with the word n***er. I'm not so cool with that. But I am cool with the items being for sale.

Interesting post, Soror. I also just read in Veronica Chambers' new book that Rep. Maxine Waters, the firebrand lawmaker, also collects this type of memorabilia. That surprised me, but she also pointed to the need to preserve the history.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Yes, try antique stores. We have a alot of them here in Houston (on Yale Street near 19 th Street in the Heights area if you are familiar with Houston) and I bought two posters in this same genre (sp?). The dealer who sold me the posters said this theme (mammy-type, Sambo) seem to be popular with white collectors. I felt like you and decided to buy them. But, I too do not like the idea of using the N-word to find items for sale on ebay.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by toocute
If you take a road trip to see CT4

This post belongs in Aw Hell 2 Da Naw thread.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CrimsonTide4

This post belongs in Aw Hell 2 Da Naw thread.
Now see...you ain't right. I'm sure Ideal would road trip to see you.