GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,524
1 members and 1,523 guests
KEGirl01

Old 07-27-2003, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MTUkitty
Recruitment event ideas

Hi! I'm the new VP Recruitment at my chapter and I'm looking for some fun ideas for normal recruitment events to do during the semester. At my school, our formal recruitment is in January b/c we are not allowed to give freshman bids until they have an established GPA (after 1st semester) so I really want to have some fun things planned for fall semester to get them excited for formal rush and to hopefully recruit some of the 2nd/3rd yr. girls. These are what we call C.O.B (continuous open bidding) events and they shouldn't be longer than an hour or so. It could just be my need for change, but I get really sick and tired of doing the same old rushes over and over again (board/card games, tie dye, cookout, movie night). Does anybody have any real fun and unique rush ideas that you've used? I would love some new ideas and to start off fresh. Thanx!
Old 07-28-2003, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a suggestion, but you may want to try posting this in the Rush forum. I think you may get more of a response there.

If your risk management (and Panhellenic) rules allow it, you may want to try going off-campus for a couple of COB events, such as ice or roller skating or bowling. Good luck!
Old 07-28-2003, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd move it to the rush forum too. but aside from that. when i was rush chair i got this site fromour greek advisory (not the most helpful woman) it is for RA's but you can do some of it as rush. We got a lot of good stuff from it, plus it help spark some ideas of your own
www.residentassistant.com

Old 07-28-2003, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to rocketaxid
I'd check with your nationals. I know in the members area of my nationals site they have idea's for skits, party themes, philanthrophy projects and COBs. The best part is they are already themed towards my GLO.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Our formal rush is three parties...all have somewhat of a theme (and then pref). This year we are doing SDT in heaven, day at the spa, and day at the beach. If you would like details on anything, PM me!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 08-07-2003, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Little E, Thank you *SO* much for that website! I got so many great ideas not only for fun and innovative rushes, but for other socials and events I want to do now. And Buttonz, I cannot thank you enough for the GREAT fun ideas for formal recruitment! I can't wait to start getting ready for all that stuff.

Thank you to everyone else as well for all of your help! I have planned out ALL of the COB events for this whole semester and have a good start on formal recruitment which we hold in January.

Thanks again!!!
Old 08-07-2003, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Buttonz..... I pm'd you!!!!! Great topic!!!
Old 08-11-2003, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to socialbutterfly
PEZ...Why I'm leaving...PLEASE READ!

Hello everyone…I have been corresponding with Lauren Hask about starting the sorority Rho Sigma Zeta on our campus for over a month now, and I’m going to share this letter with all of you because I want to be able to voice my reasons for leaving the group with all of you since I know Lauren will voice hers as she did about the first girl, only I want everyone to see WHY people interested in the group are now leaving, and I hope it will be a letter of caution to all of you:

Lauren and Gina:

Thank you for allowing me to be one of the first people you welcomed to help make history with by starting a new organization, however I must decline the offer for the following reasons and I hope you will use all of my reasons to make major improvements to what little of an organization you have.
1) I cannot allow myself to be used by you to do work for an organization I am supposedly helping to found, whether it is a founding mother or daughter. I have asked repeatedly to be involved in the revisions and proofing for the constitution you have started. I have been a member of many organizations while in high school and allowed me to make proposals, revision to membership booklets, and student govt. documents, yet you do not want me to help in a department I am will diverse in. I’ve asked to be part of forming questionnaire and applications for interested members, but you refuse. If I am to be part of an organization that claims to have room for everyone to make their own, why do you insist on not letting me help make the organization better?
2) The lady that left before me questioned why you felt the need to organized another multicultural sorority on a campus that already has 3 and you shouted disrespect and offense because you are not forming as a culturally diverse organization, yet you want to provide “culture” to sisters of your sorority. Are you speaking of culture in the sense of Arts and Entertainment if not cultures of the world? This is just one of the many examples of the un-organization you have not overcome yet. I cannot commit to an organization that keeps its members or interest in the dark about the organization, but continues to inform members of other Greek organization of their doings. Keeping other updated is acceptable, as long as you understand that these people are already in an organization and those interested in yours should be first priority if you plan to keep them interested.
3) I cannot be a part of something that laughs in the face of those willing to support it. Being on Greek chat seems like a good source to get ideas and advice from, but when the asker is using those offering their help only to steal their creativity and laugh about them being naive and gullible isn’t something I want to be a part of. Looking at other sorority websites for ideas is one thing, but when Lauren impersonates herself as an interest to see how they recruit is another thing. I can’t be a part of an organization who makes fun of those offering their help on Greek chat.
4) I cannot be a part of an organization that does not pride themselves as ladies. You asked me to help organize a mixer/party that has the theme “Bro’s and Ho’s” where at this party guys are to dress like pimps and girls like sluts!! What type of image are you asking for? Another party you wanted was where a guy and girl would be handcuffed to each other for the whole night…and everyone watches to “see what happens” These type of “events” you think are going to get you noticed is what everyone Greek organization has been trying to avoid…you are keeping the stereotypes alive and making sororities that uphold themselves as ladies work harder to avoid that stigma because of your tacky taste. Attempting to do functions like this isn’t going to get you noticed for the charity work you want to do with kids. Does Delta Gamma Pi aware of the socials you want to do…I don’t think any sorority that wants to keep a good reputation is going to do a co-function with you if you stereotype yourself as weak organization that only has one thing on their minds…this gives a wide spectrum for people to label you a slut like in your theme. I hold a higher value of myself than you do, so in good faith I can not subject myself to such a label
Now those reading this may not believe what I’ve written, but I have no reason to lie. I went to Lauren and Gina with an open mind and a willingness to make something better, however they have shown me that they can not work with other people if they don’t agree with them, they don’t have the self respect for themselves to make a creditable organization and they do not respect anyone who has offered them advice on this Greek chat. Like I said before, you may not believe me, however I hope you will keep what I’ve said in mind when Lauren starts asking her next up coming questions on how to recruit, advertise and establish a good relationship with other Greeks on Purdue’s campus.

I am 20 yrs old, and I’m looking to find a sorority (on my campus or not) that will value my ideas, utilize my talents and help me to further my education through sisterhood and networking, while at the same time getting a dedicated member that will be proud to say they belong to a reputable organization. If you respect my decision to no longer pursue Rho Sigma Zeta and would be interested in introducing me to your organization, please let me know.

Mahria
Old 08-11-2003, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Um, socialbutterfly, are you sure you posted this in the correct thread? This is not a thread about PEZ, it's about recruitment ideas.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I know this is going to be sort of off-topic (well not as much as socialbutterfly, right? ) Anyway, I was just thinking how amazing the difference can be between chapters. I hear that we're not a very liked sorority on some campuses because they have primarily jewish members and discriminate against girls who aren't jewish and won't give them bids. Its so strange because there are chapters of some of the sororities that have posted messages here on my campus, and whoa baby do they seem a LOT different! Thanks again to everyone for all your help, I am just glowing I'm so happy about getting everything planned and having a good headstart on formal recruitment. I would've had a real hard time without all of you, so if I didn't thank you individually before, know that I appreciate everyone's input.