Threads: 115,586
Welcome to our newest member, commonpeace
» Online Users: 1,145
0 members and 1,145 guests
No Members online

Old 02-12-2002, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

moving in with boyfriend.. any tales or advice

my boyfriend and i will be moving in together after he graduates law school in the spring. it will the first time for the both of us. any tales of cohabitation? any advice or warnings you guys care to share? i'm open to it all....
Old 02-12-2002, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Don't expect things to be blissful and perfect all at once. It is an adjustment and can be a difficult one, so give it a few months after moving in, you'll relax into it and that's when it gets fun!!!
Old 02-12-2002, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Make sure you each have your own hobby or place to get away.

I was ready to kill my girlfriend after just a week b/c I couldn't get any space! Obviously if you are moving in together you like being around each other, but no two people can be together 24-7 without butting heads.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

A hobby is a great idea, especially if he will be working at a large law firm, because he will always be at work and you will never see him.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard
sign the shortest lease that you can in case it's not what you decide later that you want.

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace
Old 02-12-2002, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I know of some AGD sisters who each have their own cell phone. That way someone won't get stuck with unwanted phone calls on the "apt." phone.

Also, put in writing who will have what utilities in whose name and how the bills will be paid.

Just to remember to think like a lawyer, he will! Get it in writing!
Old 02-12-2002, 08:56 PM

I told my boyfriend that I don't plan to live with anybody before I get married. Not at this stage of my life. I believe that if marriage is in the offering, then I would rather wait until the vows. Otherwise, I believe that living together would create too many expectations as to when to get married, why get married, etc.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:15 PM

I've had a few friends that moved in with their boyfriends. I think the most important thing to do while living with a bf is to still maintain a life outside of him. My friends who are still happy with their current living situations are the ones who went out with their friends every week, had lunch with friends, did all that fun stuff WITHOUT the boyfriend being there. Seeing someone too much can cause a lot of annoyance even if it's someone you love. The friends who ended up breaking it off with their boyfriends are the ones who ditched their friends once they moved in with their boyfriends.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd have to agree with some of the other posts. Make sure you decide on who is going to get what bills in their name. My advice would be to stay by yourself and wait until marriage, but whatever works for you.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you all kindly

some of you made a great point and i think i should clarify... my boyfriend and i are planning to get married. he has given me a promise ring, promising that when he graduates from law school and gets a job, he will adorn my finger with an engagement ring. right now i happily wear my promise ring though.

so we do plan on getting married. it just made more sense to move in together because i have found a job as a copy editor at a newspaper and he will be working in the same city with me.

i'm moving out of my mother's house after a year of "staying home after college" and it didnt make any sense both of us getting and paying rent for two apts. when we will probably spend more time in one of them. so how do you do the bills/utilities thing.

and thanx so much for reminding me about thinking like a lawyer... my man still has a couple of months to go before graduation and still has to pass the bar (he will) but he thinks and acts like a lawyer already... haha
Old 02-12-2002, 11:10 PM

I moved in with my husband after we got engaged. It was a good thing... we learned each other's bad habits and what it was really like to live with each other before we made the commitment of marriage. And I think our marriage is stronger for it.

Finances... That's something you will have to work out for yourselves. In my case, we were moving into grad student housing, and my then-fiance got a higher lottery pick than I did, so the rent showed up on his bursar's bill. I just gave him half the rent $ every month. Utilities were all included (whew!) except for long distance, where we each paid our own. Over time, we merged our finances as any married couple would do.

If you're moving into non-university housing, get the lease in both your names if you can, and split the utilities - you pay the electric, he pays the gas, etc - so that it works out fairly evenly.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I also moved in with my fiance after we got engaged. Be sure to put both your names on the lease, discuss how you will split the bills before hand, and also don't forget about chores! It's suprising how one or both of you may just think the ohter will take care of the dishes or the garbage, and it can be a point of contention if you don't just tell the person you both have to do it. Like everyone has said, maintain a life outside of your apartment. Visit your parents, go out with friends, have a movie night, but take the time to get away every so often.. I know my mom still takes a day off from work every now and then just so she can have some time to herself. It really helps to have your own space.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

moving in...

my boyfriend and i just moved into an apartment with a year lease this past week and allready he is having second thoughts because it doesnt feel like "home", ive tried telling him that it takes time to build a home, and memories to go along with it, he says the house is "boring" and "theres nothing to do and all we do is work, come to the house and sleep"..but he obviously he wasnt ready to live on his own without his parents or siblings... and doesnt know too much about responsibility...i dont know what is going to happen.. both of our names are on the lease...im still trying to talk him into staying, but who knows what will happen!
my advice is to make sure that both of you are ready to live on your own!!! make sure both names are on the lease & sign a 6 month lease if possible!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluz4 View Post
my boyfriend and i will be moving in together after he graduates law school in the spring. it will the first time for the both of us. any tales of cohabitation? any advice or warnings you guys care to share? i'm open to it all....
Don't do it. Marry first.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Suze Orman (sp?) suggests that finances be split by how much each person makes. So, if one of you makes 60% of the total income of the household and the other makes 40%, then rent, utilities, etc. would be split 60/40.