GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,355
1 members and 1,354 guests
No Members online

Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 PM
LAwriter

Do sororities still have Personnel officers?

I haven't set foot inside a sorority house since my days in the early 90's. My question is, is there still a person elected to the executive board that handles disciplinary matters? At my school, in my sorority, this person was the Personnel officer and if you screwed up, you'd have a hearing with her, the alumna advisor, and the president. If you had two of these meetings you would be kicked out. Does that position still exist, and if so, in what part of the country?

Thank you!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I've never heard of that office, we had a standards board ("called up to Standards"). There wasn't a number of meetings that meant probation or anything, I got called up over a misunderstanding once.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

We have a judicial board for such matters and there is a set protocol under which the board operates. The president is an ex officio member and there is an alumna who serves as the judicial advisor.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

i would imagine they all have some sort of standards or honor board with and adviser and several board members. We have Honor Board and there are several chapter members on it. There is a handbook that covers their work.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

If you were in a sorority, why can't you ask your sisters?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwriter View Post
I haven't set foot inside a sorority house since my days in the early 90's. My question is, is there still a person elected to the executive board that handles disciplinary matters? At my school, in my sorority, this person was the Personnel officer and if you screwed up, you'd have a hearing with her, the alumna advisor, and the president. If you had two of these meetings you would be kicked out. Does that position still exist, and if so, in what part of the country?

Thank you!
Why do you ask?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Each sorority has a different disciplinary policy and different officers that handle such matters.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

FWIW - Standards isn't just about discipline. They can also recognize members for positive things!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
FWIW - Standards isn't just about discipline. They can also recognize members for positive things!
Absolutely! One of the reasons we changed to "Honor Board" so that the connotation would be better.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:28 PM
LAwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
If you were in a sorority, why can't you ask your sisters?
I'm sorry I didn't make it clear -- I have not been in a sorority house since the 90s, which means my sisters haven't either. They are not old enough to have daughters of their own that age, hence my question.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

So, no national web site to go to? No alum group? No regional/province officers?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwriter View Post
I'm sorry I didn't make it clear -- I have not been in a sorority house since the 90s, which means my sisters haven't either. They are not old enough to have daughters of their own that age, hence my question.
Just because YOU haven't been in one doesn't mean they haven't been in one, or haven't stayed somewhat involved. I am an adviser and active in a alumnae chapter, but not all of my collegiate chapter sisters do any of that. If you reach out to them, you might be surprised who is still involved.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
So, no national web site to go to? No alum group? No regional/province officers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Just because YOU haven't been in one doesn't mean they haven't been in one, or haven't stayed somewhat involved. I am an adviser and active in a alumnae chapter, but not all of my collegiate chapter sisters do any of that. If you reach out to them, you might be surprised who is still involved.
I don't think it's that serious. This sounds more like a sitting-around-drinking-wine sort of question that pops into your head - sort of like "Remember when everyone wore those Coca Cola sweatshirts and thought they were awesome?"
Old 05-17-2013, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I don't think it's that serious. This sounds more like a sitting-around-drinking-wine sort of question that pops into your head - sort of like "Remember when everyone wore those Coca Cola sweatshirts and thought they were awesome?"
I don't know, by the poster's name, it sounds more like the trolling for info kind of question so I can write a shady book/script about vampire sorority girls kinda question.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 AM
LAwriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I'm sure there are all of those things. I tried this first, as I thought this would yield more real answers and more quickly. I just never imagined some would be so bitchy, yikes! I would never have come here had I known I would inspire such ire. Perhaps I misjudged what greekchat was all about. This is not for me, I'm nice.

A sincere thank you to those who have helped me.