GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,302
1 members and 1,301 guests
Titchou

Old 07-17-2014, 05:35 PM

Need advice asap

Hi everyone! I transferred to the *** (***) last year from community college a Jr., joined a new sorority. I was 15 and am now 16 and will turn 17 in Nov. I was told that I can not participate in recruitment but must do the work. It was made to sound like it was a special duty because I am best at research but I know out is because of my age. Even I voiced my disappointment because I want to have the recruitment binding experience, the one alumni gave a lame story that I dint readily connect with others. I asked for a conference call and am bring ignored. I might add that I am 5'9', in the Honors program, and a senior. I also have made a ton of friends, participate fully, and represented myself and sorority yo the highest of standards. Should I just buy my outfits and tell them I'm doing recruitment and will do the research as well?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't heard either the age rule or the term crib work, but if it's what I think it is, you are doing the "back office" stuff associated with rush. Just because you're not on the floor doesn't mean you won't be a fully involved member of the chapter during rush. It's not the same thing but it's not like you won't be there. Your beauty and or other strengths have nothing to with this. If there's a rule, they aren't going to circumvent it, especially when it really is a role that needs to be filled. Usually they like to fill that role with someone who is a terrible rusher or otherwise terrified of doing it. But if they've got a person who isn't allowed to be on the floor, then that's a great alternative. You will still be very busy and actively engaged in the process. And by the way, you will know WAY more about the rushees then the girls on the floor will.

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but it is what it is. Be a good sister and suck it up.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

The best thing to do is to do what you are asked. There must be a valid reason why they have chosen you to work with paper work. I know from my own experience as a recruitment advisor that we ask collegians we know we can trust and depend on to do the sort of work I think they want you to do. And I want to remind you (and other sorority members finding themselves in the same situation) that it is not about you-it is for the good of the chapter. If your advisors and your executive officers feel that you would be most helpful doing paper work, that is where you need to be.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 07-18-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe it is your age. Who knows? It may just be that you are less adept at small talk than your other sisters. Rush conversation is a specific skill set. The people in charge of recruitment are in charge of deciding who will be best at this. It's not always easy to hear that someone doesn't think you are the best choice to do something. Don't take that the wrong way. We all have our strengths. A new colony has to work extra hard to make their first recruitment successful. Instead of worrying about why you aren't out front, do everything you can to help your chapter be as successful as possible. Every job during recruitment is important.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Should I just buy my outfits and tell them I'm doing recruitment and will do the crib research as well?
NO!! You absolutely do NOT dictate to your chapter & alumnae who are there to volunteer that you WILL participate in recruitment as you see fit, whether they like it or not. Oh MY! What a rude, arrogant action that would be.

Am I understanding correctly... you are a 16 year old senior at ***?

Can you explain what you mean by "crib work"? Never heard that term before.

Last edited by thetalady; 07-17-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't want to come across as harsh, but it sounds like you are quite an intelligent young lady. Do you think it could actually be possible that you WON'T connect with the average 18-19 year old FRESHMAN who is participating in formal recruitment. There are not many soon to be 17 year olds ready to graduate college. Instead of looking at the negative, perhaps consider this as a compliment, and look at the bright side. And I know that a lot of seniors (at least from my school) did not recruit women, they did other tasks.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:27 PM

Thanks everyone. I an going to assist in the matching as I want to support my sisters, we have a great group! :-)
Old 07-17-2014, 09:48 PM

Urban dictionary doesn't know what crib work is either.

If this is an NPC it's pretty obvious which one it is so maybe one of that group's members will fill us in.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that you are making a good decision. If I were you, I would buy the clothes, NOT TO RECRUIT, but so that you can take the fun pictures of yourself with your sisters. It will be nice to have those memories! Recruitment is exciting and fun no matter what you do! I volunteered to do paperwork, set up, and clean up 2 out of the 3 years I could have been recruiting.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Your role is vital to the recruitment process, and one that you should feel honored to be selected for- and I am not just saying that to make you feel better. Your sisters and advisors obviously trust you a lot to put you in such an involved position that can deal with sensitive information with discretion. Personally, I would rather have been back there than making small talk with PNMs! You will be very involved with the officers in charge of recruitment, and will have a special bonding experience with them. Plus, you will still be involved in the recruitment process as a whole, and will be able to share that with your whole chapter.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 07-18-2014, 12:41 AM

You don't have to make small talk AND you get to see all the super secret information??? I would have LOVED to have this gig during rush...heck it sounds like a good career actually!!

You may feel like you've been slighted but I guarantee everything happens for a reason. You may not be the reason someone signs her bid, but you may be the sister who talks an unsure new member through her doubts during pledgeship and is the reason she decides to stay.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

As an alum who has worked with the "back office" crew for several years, let me assure you that this type of job is a VITAL part of recruitment. Recruitment could not take place without it!

You hold a sensitive, exclusive position. You must be an awesome person to be entrusted with it.

Have a grand recruitment!