GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Alpha Epsilon
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,430
0 members and 1,430 guests
No Members online

Old 11-19-2004, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nolesaw
florida state sae

Hey GC users..wondering if anyone out there knew what the staus of SAE at FSU was? My husband is a Florida Beta alum,and the last we heard the were " underground" at FSU. Both of us are Greek Seminoles and would love to know what the status of the chaper is? Any Fl Beta's out there?
Old 11-21-2004, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

The national database (saeforum.net) lists Florida Beta as an active chapter, but lists the address as that of the Fraternity Service Center (HQ). This suggests the chapter is either on probation, or alumni commision, or something of that nature.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Ryan400z
SAE got the charter yanked a few years ago at FSU. I believe it was a bad alcohol incident or bad hazing incident. I heard it used to be one of their best chapters in the country. They lost LSU and got that chapter back recently and I heard there are plans to get FSU up and running as well. The bad news is they just built new houses at FSU and it costs about 3 million to get a new house in order to be in competition with everyone else.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nolesaw
Thanks for the info. The new Greek row is amazing!We were up for homecoming this year and couldn't believe it! They do have tremendous alumni support, so hopefully they will be able to come back strong. The old house ( 50's - 90's) is now a parking lot! It is so sad!
Old 12-18-2004, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WyoAlph
That is quite sad. Fortunately bad management and dwindling numbers led to Wyoming Alpha's downfall in the late 90s; not something as serious as hazing or alcohol. Wyoming Alpha has surged back to the top at UW since rechartering in March 2002. Chapter count is 51 and is at or near the top. Hopefully, things can get rolling at FSU.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation We are still here

We were kicked off 5 1/2 years ago for hazing and got a 5 year sentence but since we have been running underground this whole time its hard to get back on. We are running strong and have a house on campus and have about 35 brothers. If anyone can help us get on or if I can answer any questions let me know.
Phi Alpha
Old 04-18-2005, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I think SAE was kicked off right before I came to FSU (fall 2002), but I've seen a couple of them wear their letters. I've heard they have a house too, but since I don't live on campus I have no clue where it is.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

So your problem is that the university is upset with you for operating clandestinely the past 5-plus years? If your penalty was 5 years and it's been 5 1/2 since you guys were kicked off of campus, I'd start with gaining colony recognition from Evanston. I'd definitely start talking with the good folks at the Fraternity Services Center.

I'd imagine your process will start there, then include gaining Recognized Student Organization status from FSU. That will most likely be followed by the arduous task of regaining alumni support. Southern alums seem to be a little more zealous than others, so that might not be too difficult if you guys have your stuff together. After that, it's just a matter of establishing yourself as a force on campus.

Best of luck.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Ryan400z
Well the FSU chapter is not recognized by the university, and your nationals, so technically you do not have a chapter at FSU. That is good to know your running underground, I know a few SAE chapters that are doing that as well, (Duke) and probaly NC State in the near future. Hard to do but at least you have a head start when you get back on campus.

Last edited by Ryan400z; 05-04-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it's really a head start since I know that (at least in the case of Duke) members of the underground organization are not welcome by either headquarters or the university. So if they were to restart it'd have to be completely from scratch anyway.

Plus, since they continue to operate, that specific organization is not really favored by the university. It seems that they'd be more likely to start an entirely different chapter (as they have been doing) than restart SAE at this point.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It seems that they'd be more likely to start an entirely different chapter (as they have been doing) than restart SAE at this point.
When you say that, do you mean the fellas in Tallahasee are starting a local?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

SAE to return to FSU fall 2006

After an absence of 6 1/2 years, Sigma Alpha Epsilon is to return to Florida State in the Fall of 2006. Having learning from their mistakes, they have a renewed understanding of what kept them going at FSU for over 50 years before their first closure in their history in 2000.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a Florida Beta re-chartering officer. We're back on campus. We have a website that can answer many questions and put you in touch with the chapter or alumni: www.saefsu.com