Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,467
1 members and 1,466 guests
No Members online

Old 11-09-2004, 06:21 PM

Cool

= )

Last edited by bamagirl11; 08-02-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

if you need a rec, contact the alumnae association nearest to you. A listing of AAs can be found at kappadelta.org

And, as an aside, please learn to use discretion. You have posted on 8 sorority's forums now saying that you love their group and need a rec. A rec should be written by someone that you have met in real life. Though please make sure to get recs, because at 'bama they are very much needed!
Old 11-10-2004, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDShannon
What high school did you go to?

[URL="http://www.shannonkish.com"k[/URL]
Old 11-17-2004, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Well first off I would refrain from posting in every sorority's forum claiming you want to be a part of that sorority..........

Sorry to crash ladies.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:40 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaPrincess24
Well first off I would refrain from posting in every sorority's forum claiming you want to be a part of that sorority..........

Sorry to crash ladies.
I'm SAD.

AGD has our Psi Chapter at Alabama but she didn't come into our forum asking for Recommendations help.

I guess we're just not good enough.

HI KDs!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

She must not like your "traditions." No offense, but unless she knows an alum of a particular chapter, how can she know about their traditions? I'm sure my chapter has different traditions from Danielle's. Maybe she's talking about our philanthropies or something.

Anyways, sidetrack on the whole recs thing...do you all feel comfortable writing recs for girls you meet through GC, or girls that contact you through a local alumnae association? I think our rec form is pretty detailed, and it would be hard to fill it out if you do not know a girl other than from the info on a resume that she's sent you. Do chapters look at recs that say "I don't know this girl personally, but her resume looks pretty impressive."

I'm a new alumnae, and I'm not really involved with an AA, nor do I really have any clue how my chapter ever handled recs (because I only did rush on the sister side 1 year, then I was on Panhellenic for 2, and plus we are not a competitve school), so I'm wondering in case I am ever asked to write recs in the future. I did write one rec this past year to Beta Pi chapter, for my lil' sisters really good friend. I have never met her, but my little (still in the chapter) was vouching for her, so I knew she must be a great girl. Right after recruitment, the VP Membership wrote me a thank you card for sending the rec, and she let me know that Cayla pledged KD, which I thought was very sweet!

Sorry so long ladies, thanks in advance for helping a new alum out!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I've been asked by at least a dozen girls in the past year from GC to write them recs. What's even worse is when they're fly-by posters, that's all they stick around for. I refuse to write them for someone that I don't know. My personal opinion is that it's a huge disservice to KD. I don't know any of these posters from a hole in the wall, why do I want to recommend them for membership into my sisterhood? Not only that, but even if you know a poster from GC, they may be totally different in real life, be making up lies, etc. It's happened numerous times here on GC!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
I've been asked by at least a dozen girls in the past year from GC to write them recs. What's even worse is when they're fly-by posters, that's all they stick around for.
Oh man, those fly-by posters irritate the crap outta me!

Thankfully I haven't encountered any of those, but I know many alums who have. It's disrespectful. Enough said.

That's why I can't find it in me to support the Recommendations thread in the Rush forum (sorry, adpiucf). Just as how those seeking AI should not expect a "handout" from GC, I believe that recs should be secured through other, more personal means.

If an PNM is interested in securing a rec for AGD, I don't mind putting her in contact with an AGD group in her area. Now that our Member Services Directory is up online, hopefully by next Recruitment it'll be easier.

I know as alums we're very eager to help out, but COME ON. Someone do the math and tell me the percentage of PNMs seeking recs on GC and are whether or not they are still here? Sure, most of them are busy enjoying their NM period and Initiation, but most of them are just hit and run PNMs.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine

If an PNM is interested in securing a rec for AGD, I don't mind putting her in contact with an AGD group in her area. Now that our Member Services Directory is up online, hopefully by next Recruitment it'll be easier.
I forgot to add to my post that this is exactly what I do. I ask them where they're from and try to find a contact for them. But PNMs have to put in some elbow grease- our AA directory is online, and our HQ is only an email away
Old 11-19-2004, 04:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Ditto on all of the above comments.

And one more....

When you write a rec, you are putting your name on the line. Granted, most chapters won't know who you are (at this point), but maybe if you wrote one for your old chapter, someone would recognize your name. In my case, my name is recognized because of my KD newsletter.

Anyway, what if this GCer you're recommending is not really KD material? It's not worth risking your reputation for someone you haven't met.

I say "No!" to recs for GCers (or anyone on the internet)...but "Yes!" to helping them find an alumna in their area who can help.