GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,160
Threads: 115,585
Welcome to our newest member, rubbybuble
» Online Users: 1,118
4 members and 1,114 guests
flirt5721, willTic, Xidelt

Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Pin Savers

Does your GLO have "pin savers"? People who buy your groups pins off ebay so collectors don't get them? If so, POST! I wanna make a list so if I see a pin, I can let them know!

I'm glad I have sisters who have taken up the cause!

Last edited by twotimestalia; 04-04-2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: took out a user id
Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 PM
Unregistered-

If I'm not mistaken (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), we're discouraged from purchasing Badges from pin collectors on eBay. It sucks knowing that non-members have our Badges, but at the same time, we don't want them to have our money so that they can go off and buy some more Badges.

It's nice to save them, but with all the $$$ members are spending on these items -- it'd be nice to see that money going to philanthropy or donated to Foundation instead.

I know that Kappa has "Keepers of the Key" and Gamma Phi has their "Crescent Catchers".

That's why it's important to let your loved ones know what to do with your Badge.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotimestalia View Post
I'm glad I have sisters who have taken up the cause!
What "cause" is that?

"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."...Oscar Wilde
Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 PM
jessicaelaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
If I'm not mistaken (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), we're discouraged from purchasing Badges from pin collectors on eBay. It sucks knowing that non-members have our Badges, but at the same time, we don't want them to have our money so that they can go off and buy some more Badges.

It's nice to save them, but with all the $$$ members are spending on these items -- it'd be nice to see that money going to philanthropy or donated to Foundation instead.

I know that Kappa has "Keepers of the Key" and Gamma Phi has their "Crescent Catchers".

That's why it's important to let your loved ones know what to do with your Badge.
I believe the original post said to buy them on ebay so collectors DON'T get them. I guess it could be the collectors that are selling them on ebay, but I'm guessing the intention is to buy them from the people who don't know what to do with them.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaelaine View Post
I believe the original post said to buy them on ebay so collectors DON'T get them. I guess it could be the collectors that are selling them on ebay, but I'm guessing the intention is to buy them from the people who don't know what to do with them.
I know how to read.

The majority of the sellers on eBay are pin collectors. Pin collectors obtain Badges through estate sales and other eBay sales (depending on the age/type of Badge). It's very rare that I've seen a seller who simply didn't know what to do with a Badge.

I've been instructed not to buy Badges online, period. I even know of a sister who got bitched out by a VST member for buying a Badge online for her sister.

The Badge isn't just a piece of metal to me, but money spent to rescue Badges could be used for more important reasons.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, there's a cause or an intention or something of that nature in there somewhere. You'll think of it eventually. Don't give up.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know how to read. The majority of the sellers on eBay are pin collectors.
Are you out of your mind? That's like saying Burger King collects hamburgers.

Maybe you can read, but you sure as hell can't think.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:21 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonoBN41 View Post
Are you out of your mind? That's like saying Burger King collects hamburgers.

Maybe you can read, but you sure as hell can't think.
I see you've been taking douchebag lessons from your brother Tom.

So people can't collect pins with intention of selling them? Since when?

People collect stuff and sell/trade them all the time. I don't see the difference.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
People collect stuff and sell/trade them all the time. I don't see the difference.
Neither do I.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Why would people buy them? If not collectors, then the only other reasons I can think of is:
a) to wear (or give to another to wear) in order to intentionally misrepresent themselves (i.e. "perp") as an initated member of that org
b) to give to another person to wear who became a member of that org and they need a pin
c) they didn't get a bid, so they bought the pin to wear in private and live out their "I'm a Beta" or "I'm a FIJI" <insert whatever GLO name here> fantasies in the privacy of their own bedroom.

I'm with you OTW: "With all the $$$ members are spending on these items -- it'd be nice to see that money going to philanthropy or donated to Foundation instead".
Old 04-03-2007, 11:02 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
Why would people buy them? If not collectors, then the only other reasons I can think of is:
a) to wear (or give to another to wear) in order to intentionally misrepresent themselves (i.e. "perp") as an initated member of that org
b) to give to another person to wear who became a member of that org and they need a pin
c) they didn't get a bid, so they bought the pin to wear in private and live out their "I'm a Beta" or "I'm a FIJI" <insert whatever GLO name here> fantasies in the privacy of their own bedroom.

I'm with you OTW: "With all the $$$ members are spending on these items -- it'd be nice to see that money going to philanthropy or donated to Foundation instead".
With all due respect to members who do have the means to rescue badges off the internet, I don't think I'd be okay knowing that my $$$ went to purchase something that'll sit in my jewelry box/IHQ archives for years to come.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
With all due respect to members who do have the means to rescue badges off the internet, I don't think I'd be okay knowing that my $$$ went to purchase something that'll sit in my jewelry box/IHQ archives for years to come.
Yes, I prefer to see money used in "active ways": scholarships for education, buildings built to be used for the betterment of a community (have sports/programming/music/the arts inside), funds for programs for kids / disadvantaged people, etc.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Generally, the badge rescue groups are constantly searching and know fairly quickly when a badge is put on eBay or other sites.

I understand the money argument, but don't necessarily agree with it. The most prolific rescue-ers are also some of the most devoted volunteers within the organization who have already donated thousands to our Foundation. They simply view this as another way they can actively support the Fraternity.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

The majority of the sellers on eBay are pin collectors.
This is completely, 100 percent wrong. How do I know? Because I'm a collector and I've been buying KD pins off ebay for the past 5 years. I check in on ebay daily and I know many other collectors.

The sellers are most often people who buy pins or entire lots of jewelry at estate sales. Some of them have no idea what they're selling.

Very often when people don't plan on what to do with their pins after their passing it is left to their children or other relatives to "dispose" of their jewelry. The relatives end up selling the pins on ebay. It's not their fault and they're not evil for doing it.

There is also some good that can come out of collecting. Many historic badges have been found on ebay and are now in their respective GLO's archives or museums.

If anyone's GLO discourages buying pins off ebay, that's fine. But that isn't the case for all GLOs and in the end it really isn't any of their business. KD doesn't have any such policy. I will continue to buy KD pins off ebay. I will also continue to contribute to the Kappa Delta Foundation and give money to my chapter's House Corporation. What I do with my money is my own business.

It sounds awfully noble to say that people should really use their money for charity, etc. instead of on pins. But what if someone came up to any of you and said, "you know, you really shouldn't be spending your money on that beer -- you should donate it instead"? It's all relative.

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 04-04-2007 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
should really use their money for charity, etc. instead of on pins.
What I mean, is that if someone wants to buy the pin as a way of "helping the sorority", then, in my view it helps the sorority MORE when those funds that they've earmarked already to "help the sorority" are directed towards that sorority's Foundation, not towards a pin that is going to be rescued, and then lying dormant in a jewellery box (although it is nice to see them in the historical archives, etc.).

Anyhow...I've always maintained that if someone wants to buy the pin because they admire them and think they're beautiful, then good for them. I do object to it, if someone is buying a pin for the purpose of wearing it with the intent to misrepresent themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
The most prolific rescue-ers are also some of the most devoted volunteers within the organization who have already donated thousands to our Foundation. They simply view this as another way they can actively support the Fraternity.
Donated thousands, huh? Can you introduce me to some of these people? I only ask, because I saw some Betsey Johnson dresses & Manolo Blahnik shoes on Ebay that need...uh..."rescuing". Yeah, that's it.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-04-2007 at 01:43 AM.