GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Sigma Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,400
0 members and 1,400 guests
No Members online

Old 01-17-2003, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Help!

It's informal time and we are in need of serious help!

We are down to 23 women AND we just lost our President and a couple of girls are resigining postions due to academics....

Does anyone have any advice on how to have a susessful informal and keep the chapter alive...we still have our VP of PR & Rec. but help would be appreciated!!

Alpha Love!
Old 01-17-2003, 11:52 AM

Like some people said on the general forum, chalking and fliers aren't that effective. They tend to draw people who just want to be "something Greek" and not ASA specifically - what you need right now is people who want to be in ASA and already have some sort of tie to you. Ask friends, boyfriends' friends, etc to open rush parties - and don't neglect people you thought were anti-Greek. Sometimes it is not sororities they dislike, but the fakiness of formal rush. Those often turn out to be the most dedicated members.

What do you mean people are resigning due to academics? Did they not make the grades to keep their offices?

I'll PM you...
Old 01-17-2003, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Airing your dirty laundry aren't we? That may be a very bad idea! I would becareful, you may be damaging your campus rep.
think about it
Old 01-18-2003, 12:37 PM

meow

Quote:
Originally posted by demuhe
Airing your dirty laundry aren't we? That may be a very bad idea! I would becareful, you may be damaging your campus rep.
think about it
I see we took our happy pill today.

AlphaFrog hasn't posted anything that anyone on her campus with two eyes & ears wouldn't know. She's asking for help, which says to me she cares a great deal about her chapter and knows that those outside the situation may have ideas they haven't thought of. The one person from her campus who has (openly) posted has shown nothing but support and positivity.

This is a support thread - if you can't post in that spirit, then don't post in it at all.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Just an update for Beta Kappa...

Our morale is up and our heads are held high. We know we can do this... National wants us at 60 by May 1st and we're up for the challenge. Failure is an "F" word Beta Kappa does not use. The women of Delta Zeta are going to help us out...they are wonderful. Aspire, Seek, Attain is what ASA's do. We love all of you sisters!

Jess
Old 01-31-2003, 11:07 AM

Jess -

Good Luck!! Do you have to have everyone initiated by then or just bids given out?

DZ were our neighbors at Clarion...I love them to death...it's great to know that they are the same wonderful women everywhere.

Keep us posted - remember what the palm means to us...

Love in ASA,
Sheila
Old 02-04-2003, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

We have to have bids signed by the deadline...

We just mailed out over 800 fliers for our interest party on Thursday and this is so exciteing...

The Phi Sigma Sigmas and the Chi Omegas are having interest parties the same night and their bringing over their PNM's after theirs to ours!!!

We are also having an interest party on Feb 11. and the DZ's and Chi O's are both advertising for us and sending people who will learn about us and promote us at the interest party!!!

I'm SO excited...I'll keep you all posted...
Old 02-04-2003, 10:20 PM

That is so awesome. I wish the Panhellenic unity was that strong everywhere!!

You should post your story on Alphas Online - did you ever register there? I'll email you the URL (it's private).

Alpha love & hugs,
Sheila

Aspire....Seek....ATTAIN!!
Old 02-05-2003, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Good luck Beta Kappa!
Old 02-09-2003, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry it took me awhile to update.....

Our interest party Thurs. we got 8 PNM's and voted on a 9th that is a friend of many women in the chapter. Unfourtunatly 2 of them were academically ineligable....

One of them was SOOO awesome...I've already claimed her as my little (hopefully).

So, IF all of those women who get bids sign them (plus we have someone from my pledge class returning who had to drop last semester...YAY!) we need 2 more signed bids from our party on Tues for our first goal...YAY! We can do this...keep prayin for us!
Old 11-07-2003, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to alphabug02
AlphaFrog~

Reading this thread is inspiring, did your Chapter reach it's goal? I'm currently working with another Chapter that is struggling and I hope that we get as much support from the Greek Community as your Chapter has.

"Always.... Alpha Sigma!"
Old 11-16-2003, 03:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I was the advisor to the Interfraternity Council as a graduate student. They often had problems like this, as well as some sororities on campus. One thing I learned that was valuable advice....be sure to look beyond the typical collage student. Going just for freshman is a very limited market. Non tradiational students, transfers, and older students whom aren't part of an organization are just waiting for sisters (but don't know it yet) It may seem that all the older students are already a part of a chapter, but I can guarantee you that there are women out there that look longingly at your chapter, but don't know how to make the first step. So it's up to you and your chapter to make the first move. Good luck to you!
Old 11-20-2003, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't mean to intrude on your board, but I just wanted to say that I think that it is great that your NPC sisters on campus are so willing to help you out! I think that is the way true greek sisterhood should be!

Good luck with reaching your goals!

Nicole