GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Sigma Sigma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,583
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,165
1 members and 1,164 guests
John

Old 06-11-2002, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool HI Tri-Sigs!

I'm a Sigma Kappa, and I noticed recently that there are several similarities between Sigma Kappa and tri-sigma, i.e. the badge, jewels... i think your colors are similar too. I was wondering if it was just a coincidence.... I think it's pretty cool if it is! Well, and if it isnt too!

Erin
Old 06-21-2002, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

TriSigmaTX-

Could you explain the connection? I've only ever heard of the supposed connection. But it was also debunked. I've never had a Tri Sigma confirm the connection before. It's something that's always made me wonder.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I've always heard a denial of the connections, although I admit there are some similarities. For one, the badges are pretty similar, and the colors are kind of alike. Ours are purple and white and Sigma Kappa's are purple and lavender, right? But I almost think these things are a coincidence, since I believe Sigma Kappa was founded before Tri Sigma was, and I doubt there was any Sigma Kappa influence anywhere near Farmville, Va, where Tri Sigma was founded. But I could be wrong?
Old 01-22-2003, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to sigmabutterfly
not sure

im not really sure but i think the only man who was allowed to wear a tri sigma badge ( cant think of his name right now) founded sigma kappa
and he based it on sigma sigma sigma
dont quote me on this
i just thought i remembered our national consultant telling us about that

sigma love

anne
Old 01-23-2003, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Erin,

Just thought I'd clarify, no man had anything whatsoever to do with the founding of SK. We are very very proud of that. And if I'm remembering correctly when SSS was found, SK is about 25 years older. But it's all still fun to contemplate. Mainly cause we'll never really know.

In Sigma! (be it SK or SSS)
Old 01-23-2003, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh I know that no man helped found SK, what kind of Snakey K would I be if I didn't know our history? :-) I believe Anne said that, not me.
Just clarifying.

SLAM
Erin
Old 01-23-2003, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face I'm a dork.

I even double checked the names when I posted cause I had a feeling I was going to do that! Guess I should have triple checked.
Old 02-20-2003, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to crazyleggedsigma Send a message via Yahoo to crazyleggedsigma
James Miller Leake!
Old 11-30-2004, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EPTriSigma
He was a Kappa Sigma......
Old 12-01-2004, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BlondeGurl
I think that it is a severe coincidence that we have similar sybols because throughout our history things have changed and if you take this into account you will realize that initialy we werent that similar at all.

Our original colors were Purple, Moss (I think but it was for sure a green color), and white. Our badge used to be a skull and bones originaly and didnt have the triangle shape with the pearls like it does now.

If nothing had ever changed we would not even be discussing this. The only reason we are is because they did.
There are so many other chapters that have purple violets as there flower (ADPi,) or the pearl for (at least one of) their jewel(s) (AXO, AEPhi, AGD, ASA, AST, AXiD, XO, Tri-Delt, DPhiE, GPhiB, KD, Pi Phi). These were popular at the time most of our sororities were founded. Also there are other chapters with similar badges to both of ours (DPhiE).

If your still not convinced take a good look at our CRESTs and new member pins. These have not changed since the forming of our organizations. They are so completely different. Thin about what your crest symbols mean and look at the other sororities. Can you imagine that theirs in anyway similar to your own? NO!That is where the true meaning of each sisterhood lies...in our ritual which I can almost promise is very different just by looking at what is out there.

This is why I think all of this a big coinicidence! Just look at the FACTS!
Old 12-04-2004, 03:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Also consider that in 1898, the world wasn't as "small" as it is today and our founders were also VERY young.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EPTriSigma
Am I the only one who doesn't like to be identified as a Tri-Sig? I am a Tri-Sigma.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BlondeGurl
I don't think that they meant any disrespect they probably just didn't know any better. If we don't have a chapter on their campus they would have never learned that we prefer Tri-Sigma or Sigma.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WVSigmaChick
That's probably true, they may not have known, but I feel the same way you do, I cringe every time a frat boy calls me a Tri-Sig...errrrrr...oh well you can only tell boys things so many times
Old 02-08-2005, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TriSigma_A1409
Hi! I am from Alpha Chapter! It's definitely a coincidence. And we never use "Tri-Sig". But frat boys just dont get it, lol, i agree.