Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,458
2 members and 1,456 guests
No Members online

Old 02-15-2008, 09:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Politics and Beta Theta Pi

Now that I have your attention.......

Without getting into party politics and candidate support......

Has your membership in Beta Theta Pi changed your political views in some way?

By this, I mean, has it caused your to evaluate your positions before joining?

I do NOT mean: has the fraternity told you how to vote.

See my "response" below.

Part of my question is to gather some insight to help my daughter better understand the system. Her school only teaches a two-party system (all others are extremist fringes that have no real purpose except to cause trouble in the elections and support lawyers). She turns 18 in March and will be able to vote in the Spring Primary and Fall General Elections.

Last edited by Oldest_Pledge; 02-15-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, my membership has influenced my internal political process.

I now look closer at the person running instead of just the party platform.
I am still on the same side of the aisle but I do look over the other side of fence.

I now ask all my candidates: What is the other guy (your opponent) doing right on issue X? Why change it (issue X)? If you were forced by law to pick someone from the opposing side (or sides to include all parties legally running) to be your running mate (VP) or to replace you, who would you pick and why?

Last edited by Oldest_Pledge; 02-15-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to a.e.B.O.T.
My view has changed a little. Senator Lugar is from my chapter, and so I have met him several times and had a couple of conversations with him. I am still a devoted democrat, because of how the parties act as whole, but since my conversations, I look at republican candidates more and with less of a cynical eye.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

OK. Anyone else? Even if it is "No, I have not been effected."
Old 02-16-2008, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

From the standpoint of actual issues evaluation, I think being a Beta was a key part of a college experience where I learned to question my beliefs and understand them before just accepting them- but Beta alone was not responsible.

However, being a Beta has had an enormous impact on my approach to politics in general- in the workplace as well as in the voting booth.

Going Greek is an experience that has a value far in excess of ANY other college activity purely because a person will be an active part of a political process in a self-governed chapter where they make decisions which directly impact them and many people around them. It is a self-contained society in a sense where a single vote's power is easily seen and everyone who participates in, and lives by, the process is right there where the impact of decisions is immediately recognizable.

This is all the more powerful for people who spend any of their time living in a chapter house.

At Beta I learned to be pragmatic, pick my battles and to keep politics separate from personal feelings.

And from that process when I look at political candidates or people who I might be working with/working for- I look for people who do not go overboard to "tow a party line", for people who will work with those with opposing views to come up with a solution that addresses broader concerns without sacrificing basic principles and finally- someone who knows when reaching across the aisle is not going to matter and just moves forward and gets something done.

Noone is that perfect they can always do these things, but I think when a person strives to take that kind of approach it shows.

And this is what I look for. In terms of national government, I am more interested in a person's approach than their specific issues most of the time because in the long run it is not specific views that create successful government- but successful management.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it's necessarily changed how I judge candidates. But it has impacted how I interact with individuals who have different views than I do.

And it has certainly made some issues relevant to me - like the bills support fraternity and sorority housing donations and fire safety. I do pay attention to the Capital Fraternal Caucus issues.

- Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-17-2008, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I have and always will vote for the person who I think I will benefit the most from. Hillary, Obama, McCain, Romney...I am not picky, just do what you say, that is all I ask.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Quote:
At Beta I learned to be pragmatic, pick my battles and to keep politics separate from personal feelings.
Once again, you said it far better than I.

Living in a frat house crammed full of guys (and girls hehe) that span the spectrum of ideals, plus being a position of authority (VP and President) you learn that everyone has strength and weaknesses.

If anything, I am cynical towards...everyone. Rare is the image one presents true 100% of the time.