GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,341
1 members and 1,340 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Top tier Mid Tier what?

Ok I always here girls talking about top tier sororities or mid tier or bottom tier . .

What do you mean by that exactly? And how is it decided?

Cause guys just don't think that way for the most part. the movie animal house notwithstanding.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:34 AM

The snobbiest, the slightly less snobby, and the girls who actually like each other.

for anyone who is offended...if the shoe fits, wear it.

girls don't think that way either, unless they are shallower than Barbie's wading pond.

Last edited by 33girl; 12-13-2003 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, Guys Do Talk About It

Guys who are trained in rush theory do know that any given fraternity system with a stable number of chapters (say, a minimum of 10, more or less) will naturally divide into three separate tiers, each with it's own identity and characterstics. The top tier will comprise about 20% of the system; the bottom tier will have about 10% of the fraternities. All remaining chapters fall into the broad, middle Tier II. The goal of course of any successful rush effort is to move into, or to keep your chapter in, the recognized top tier. There are very specific traits, strengths and tendencies of these tiers; that's why the knowledge is important, at least to those of us who care about this stuff.
All this is based on the model of rush as a competitive enterprise. If you go into rush thinking of it in terms of winning and losing, you are already way ahead. One of the things we tell our kids in rush class isthis: You want to know who won rush? Wait a week and ask the sororities. They know!
Old 12-13-2003, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to IheartAphi
33girl has a good point, however, some people in the "top tier" take it upon themselves to think they are better than others and too cool. I like to add that its the ones that want to be Exclusive and ones that are Inclusive. The inclusive girls are always looked down upon because its supposedly cool to be exclusive.

I remember at one band party at NCSU, They wouldn't let me in because I wasn't in a certain sorority. They tried to tell me it was a mixer, but there were a lot of independents there and alcohol. Its not like I am gross and nerdy, I think I am prettycute and skinny. It was strange though.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Re: Top tier Mid Tier what?

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Ok I always here girls talking about top tier sororities or mid tier or bottom tier . .

What do you mean by that exactly? And how is it decided?
Well, since you posted this question in the Rush forum...I'll give my answer in that context.

The quickest, most objective "formula" I can give you is to look at the sororities percentage return rates to pref and that will usually be the top groups.

Last edited by NutBrnHair; 12-13-2003 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IheartAphi
I remember at one band party at NCSU, They wouldn't let me in because I wasn't in a certain sorority. They tried to tell me it was a mixer, but there were a lot of independents there and alcohol. Its not like I am gross and nerdy, I think I am prettycute and skinny. It was strange though.

That's horrible! Those folks were plain rude. Is this the marching band you're talking about? Because if it is, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that the marching bands at some schools have parties that outside people would want to go to. Of course, I'm just basing that on how things were at the time and place I went to college.
Old 12-13-2003, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Is this the marching band you're talking about?
I could be wrong, but I think she was referring to a fraternity party with a band, not a marching band party.

I agree with NutBrnHair--that's probably the most objective way to define it. However, there are non-objective things that underlie those release figures!
Old 12-13-2003, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Well at my school we don't have teirs, since there's only 3 chapters... BUT I think 33girl defined it best. Basically the "top teir" is the chapter(s) that "everyone wants" for whatever reason. =)
Old 12-13-2003, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by breathesgelatin
I could be wrong, but I think she was referring to a fraternity party with a band, not a marching band party.
LOL, ok now I feel really dumb! But at least that makes sense
Old 12-13-2003, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
LOL, ok now I feel really dumb! But at least that makes sense
Nah....don't worry about it. I was thinking marching band also, and trying to picture my college marching band being THAT exclusive!
Old 12-13-2003, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually Berkely's band has a house and everything and there is rumors that they haze the freshman in the band... so it wouldn't be TOO far off for some schools to have a band party that was "exclusive".
Old 12-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

At the 3 SEC schools I graduated from, you'd better believe that both the fraternities and the sororities were in tiers that most of the campus--Greek or not--could've named. I bet more than half the sorority PNMs at Auburn would've accepted nothing but the "Top 6"; at Arkansas, the Top 4.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:28 PM
cutiepatootie

Quote:
Originally posted by carnation
At the 3 SEC schools I graduated from, you'd better believe that both the fraternities and the sororities were in tiers that most of the campus--Greek or not--could've named. I bet more than half the sorority PNMs at Auburn would've accepted nothing but the "Top 6"; at Arkansas, the Top 4.
Referring to Arkansas as i am an Alum from UARK the top 4 you refer to are power house southern GLO's and being at Arkansas for the itme i was their i hate to say this but they are the top teir in attitude ( snobbiness).

Laura
Old 12-13-2003, 09:34 PM

I just can't imagine that anyone in supposedly genteel society would talk about things like this or put it in words...it's like asking "what does your daddy do for a living?" Tacky, tacky, tacky.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I just can't imagine that anyone in supposedly genteel society would talk about things like this or put it in words...it's like asking "what does your daddy do for a living?" Tacky, tacky, tacky.
There's nothing genteel about sorority rush in the South. It can be ruthlessly competitive, and with rush quotas hitting very high numbers, simply being nice isn't enough.
Closed Thread