Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,407
3 members and 1,404 guests
Cranberry, Sciencewoman, Xidelt

Old 02-15-2009, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Inquiry about new Latina-based local sororities

Dear members of local sororities:

My real name is Dr. Olivas. For the last 16 years I have been gathering information and writing about Latina-based Greek-letter sororities. I am now in the process of writing my book, which will be sent to the publisher come August 2009. If you are not part of an incorporated national sorority, but new to the Greek-system and began as a sorority for the advancement of Latinas on your campus, then I would like to hear from you so I can include you in my book. All I need is the following:

Your sorority name.
The year the Alpha Chapter was founded.
How many members founded the organization.
How many members you currently have in that founding chapter.
Whether your sorority has expanded to other campuses.
If so, how many women were/are in those interest groups/chapters.
How many alumni the organization as a whole has.

Once I have finished this book, I plan to start another one about sororities founded as multicultural sororities. So, if you have founded a local multicultural organization, feel free to provide the same information, just please be sure to let me know which type of organization you are.

Respectfully,

Researcher
Old 02-15-2009, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Who is the publisher?
Old 02-15-2009, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Kinko's doesn't count.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Kinko's doesn't count.
Won't.laugh.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

This is for real

Ladies,

I am not joking or being a Troll; I am serious. The book is an extension of my dissertation study. I have been conducting interviews for this book project over the last three weeks; which is in addition to interviews conducted in 1993 and 1999, as well as 49 surveys and hundreds of pages of homepage data.

Although I have found a publisher that is interested, I plan to send out a proposal to other publishers in order to find a good "home" for my book. The publisher listed below has published a few books about Greek-letter organizations, including one Title: Black Greek 101... I have listed the name of the publisher, their online website and the name of the Director who stated he would accept my manuscript this coming summer. I am working very hard at getting this book done and have even found a Latina-based sorority member who has stated she is interested in being a co-author. We haven't talked in person yet in order to work out how this co-authorship might work since I've already done so much of the work. Nonetheless, I think it would be a good idea to have her as a co-author so that the book is a better representation of LaGLS.

My book will be called Latina Greek 101: Performing Latinidad. The interested publisher is listed below. If you want your organization to be listed, then please do send me your information. If you don't want to be listed in my book, that is okay as well. I think this book is going to be a very good seller and I anticipate it will be good publicity for Latina-based sororities, which are more and more leaning toward multiculturalism although they may have started as Latina-based.

On-line catalogue:
www.fdu.edu/newspubs/fdupress.html
Harry Keyishian, Director (M-GH2-02)
Fairleigh Dickinson University Press

285 Madison Avenue
Madison NJ 07940
Old 02-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
Fairleigh Dickinson University Press
ROFLMAO.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, so that you can see I'm serious, the list below are all the sororities represented in my book.

1. Alpha Beta Sigma*
2. Alpha Pi Sigma*
3. Alpha Rho Lambda*
4. Alpha Sigma Omega*
5. Gamma Alpha Omega*
6. Gamma Phi Omega*
7. Delta Tau Lambda*
8. Delta Phi Mu*
9. Zeta Phi Gamma*
10. Kappa Delta Chi*
11. Lambda Theta Alpha*
12. Lambda Theta Nu*
13. Lambda Pi Upsilon*
14. Lambda Pi Chi*
15. Lambda Phi Delta*
16. Pi Lambda Chi*
17. Hermandad de Sigma Iota Alpha*
18. Sigma Alpha Chi*
19. Sigma Delta Lambda*
20. Sigma Lambda Alpha*
21. Sigma Lambda Gamma*
22. Sigma Lambda Upsilon*
23. Sigma Pi Alpha*
24. Sigma Omega Nu*
25. Phi Theta Chi http://www.phithetachi.com/
26. Phi Lambda Rho*
27. Chi Upsilon Sigma*
28. Omega Phi Beta*
Old 02-15-2009, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Excuse my ignorance, but what does: "ROFLMAO" mean? I don't text much and don't know all the shortcuts for words. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Excuse my ignorance, but what does: "ROFLMAO" mean? I don't text much and don't know all the shortcuts for words. Thank you.

You're a researcher. Go research it.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Researcher,

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and accept that you are relatively ignorant about Greek Life.

You may want to see the following thread to understand why true Latino/a-based organizations are not "leaning toward multiculturalism." They may be increasingly diverse in terms of their membership composition, but the same is true of ALL Greek organizations.

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=49042

"Multicultural" Greek organizations are set apart by purpose and through programming. MCGLOs were founded on the concept of multiculturalism. A Greek organization cannot "become" multicultural. Latina sororities can be "Latina-based sorority with multicultural/diverse membership" but they cannot be inherently "multicultural." It is inappropriate and disrespectful when Latina sororities, and other Greek organizations, adopt the term "multicultural" to define themselves.

See the following thread for further information:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=60191

Old 02-15-2009, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Ladies, please, I am not trying to offend and their is no need to call names. I am not ignorant of Latina-based sorority efforts. I didn't mean to say all Latina-based sororities are leaning toward multiculturalism. What I mean to say is that many of them are open to diversity and are working to increase numbers through recruiting women from all backgrounds. All one has to do is go to the websites to see claims of being open to all women who are interested in upholding the principles of the sororities they seek to join. It seems I used the wrong term (multiculturalism), when I should have used the term "diversity." I'm sorry for offending you, it was not my intention. My work is meant to help Latina-based women become as successful as they can be. However, my efforts may not be wanted by some, so that is fine. Sorry for bringing this to this forum. I am only trying to help, not hurt.

Respectfully,

Dr. Olivas
Old 02-15-2009, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

OTW, why be rude? I am trying to research it, that is why I asked. No problem, I'll figure it out another way. Thanks anyway.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ladies, please, I am not trying to offend and their is no need to call names. I am not ignorant of Latina-based sorority efforts. I didn't mean to say all Latina-based sororities are leaning toward multiculturalism. What I mean to say is that many of them are open to diversity and are working to increase numbers through recruiting women from all backgrounds. All one has to do is go to the websites to see claims of being open to all women who are interested in upholding the principles of the sororities they seek to join. It seems I used the wrong term (multiculturalism), when I should have used the term "diversity." I'm sorry for offending you, it was not my intention. My work is meant to help Latina-based women become as successful as they can be. However, my efforts may not be wanted by some, so that is fine. Sorry for bringing this to this forum. I am only trying to help, not hurt.

Respectfully,

Dr. Olivas
If you're referring to my post, I am trying to take you seriously and provide you with some additional information. While posts on Greek Chat aren't proper statistical surveys, you may gain knowledge and perspective from reading the posts in the threads I suggested.

Unless you are in a Latina sorority that diverged from its roots, there is no reason for you to take my comments personally. From what little you have posted in this thread, it is clear that you are relatively ignorant about the topic. You, yourself, said "It seems I used the wrong term (multiculturalism), when I should have used the term 'diversity.'" You did not offend me. What I said was that when the organizations you are researching erroneously call themselves "multicultural," it is inappropriate and offensive. I was attempting to provide you with information so that you do not write something unfortunate in your book.

Saying that you are "relatively ignorant" about a topic was in no way intended to be an insult. You're researching to learn more, right?

Old 02-15-2009, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

preciousjeni,

Thank you for your response. I had thought I had offended you, but now I see you also were only trying to help. I did go to the threads you recommended and I find the information rich. Whether inappropriate and offensive; the fact is that many Latina-based sorority websites utilize this term as a recruitment method. I am not saying they are claiming to be multicultural sororities; they continue to state they are Latina-based or Latina oriented, but open to women of diverse backgrounds--hence more multicultural via membership. I hope this clears up what I was attempting to communicate.

I better understand your perspective through reading your past postings. Thanks for linking me to them. Although I am still learning about Latina-based sororities, I learn more each time I interview sorority members. I have been collecting website data since 1993 and have seen the changes in the language, images, and symbols used by sororities (I am not talking about letters here, of course, they have stayed the same as have the principals upon which they were founded); for example, I have seen the development of new shields on cites that did not have them in earlier years. All this will be in my book. I am not as ignorant as one might think, although I must admit I am still learning and I plan to continue to learn until the day I die.

I love education and I love teaching, as much as I love researching. One reason I am considering a co-author who is a sorority alumni is because I want my data as accurate as it can be. If you would like to review my book when I'm done with it, I welcome your input. You sound very knowledgeable about multicultural sororities; thus, I also welcome your insights about them. I have not yet engaged in research about them; I have been concentrating my efforts on Latina-based sororities.

My reason for posting my original message was to provide an opportunity for any Latina-based sororities not incorporated and/or on the list I posted to be listed in my book.

Thank you once again for your feedback and the links. They are greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Dr. Olivas
Old 02-15-2009, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

What aspect of these organizations are you researching? What is your thesis?