GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,117
1 members and 1,116 guests
UW_dawg

Old 12-22-2004, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiSigStrawbery
Robert's Rules of Order

I saw the threads on Robert's Rules of Orders, but I really dont like to read through a full webpage about these. I am looking for an easy guide about the motions and when to use each one...help if you have an short guide to them!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Robert's Rules of Order

Quote:
Originally posted by PhiSigStrawbery
I saw the threads on Robert's Rules of Orders, but I really dont like to read through a full webpage about these. I am looking for an easy guide about the motions and when to use each one...help if you have an short guide to them!
When I was President, I found a quick guide on the net that was helpful to me. However, I forgot the page. Someone else here may know it. If you have any role in running chapter meetings, it wouldn't hurt to be as familiar with the Rules as possible. You never know what will come up.
Old 01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Corsulian
Sometimes life just isn't easy

But in the mean time, I picked up this book called "Robert's Rules in Plain English" at the local bookstore that was pretty helpful
GMU Greek Life Wiki * Unofficial Region X Portal
Old 01-26-2005, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

maybe this can help:

http://www.robertsrules.org/

it's a summary version
Old 02-11-2005, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the book I have is Robert's Rules of Order In Brief. I found in in the local bookstore in the reference section next to the full version. It's a much easier read, and much cheaper as well.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
PhiSigStrawbery,

I put together a cheat sheet of sorts in MS Excel a while back when I was Pledge Ed of my chapter that I think might help. It prints out on a single page (landscape orientation) and outlines all of the most frequently encountered motions and when/how to use each. If you'd like a copy, PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you as an attachment.

- SAEalumnus
Old 02-11-2005, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The people who wrote Robert's Rules of Order have written a nice little companion guide called "Robert's Rules of Order In Brief". Get it. Also, check out the groups website: www.robertsrules.com

There are some site out there with nice one-sheet 'cheat sheets'. One I like is here: www.jimslaughter.com

Some other publishers have gotten into the act of simple guides to parliamentary procedure. So far there is a Complete Idiot's Guide, Dummies Guide, and Everything guide to Robert's Rules.
Section 71 Chair
Old 04-07-2005, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASTDD2002
you could also check out www.rulesonline.com, it has a lot of helpful ways to teach Roberts Rules, as well as a quick quiz you can take to find out how well you know parliamentary procedure. If you have the money to spend, I highly recommend asking a speaker to come in, such as Susan Leahy (www.susanleahy.com). I attended a presentation by her at MGCA this past spring, and her insight was very helpful when I put together a program on parli. pro. for my organization.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by utmadpi02
I think the book I have is Robert's Rules of Order In Brief. I found in in the local bookstore in the reference section next to the full version. It's a much easier read, and much cheaper as well.
Be advised that RRIB is NOT a replacement for RONR! Its meant to help you learn parliamentary procedure, not act as your parliamentary authority. You will still need RONR to consult should you need to.

This is something that is pointed out very strongly in RRIB.
Section 71 Chair
Old 04-07-2005, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I completely agree. I suppose I should have made that more clear. Our chapter keeps an updated Robert's Rules. The In Brief version is the one I keep at my side as a reference. It's an easy read that gives you a basic overview of parliamentary procedure. The crossreferences to the full version are very helpful as well.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kayla0deegee
Do you guys think that is it really important to run under Robert's Rule? My chapter doesn't officially run under it and there are often problems with "dictating" from our president. If you do think it is important how would you advise to go about presenting it to our president?
thanks
Old 05-16-2005, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kayla0deegee
Do you guys think that is it really important to run under Robert's Rule? My chapter doesn't officially run under it and there are often problems with "dictating" from our president. If you do think it is important how would you advise to go about presenting it to our president?
thanks
There are many reasons for running your meeting by Parliamentary Procedure (Robert's Rules is just ONE parliamentary authority).

If you are having problems with your president 'dictating', this is one reason to do so. The president is out of line doing this.

Following parliamentary procedure ensures that things are done properly, and members rights are not violated. It helps avoid issues where decisions are made, but people later question it because they didn't think that was what they decided. It helps avoid having the president (or other officers) doing things without the approval of the membership.

First off, you need to learn what parliamentary procedure is yourself. I think there have been several resources cited in this thread. Then get your fellow members to understand it as well, then as a group take this matter to your president explaining how she needs to follow it as well to be an effective president.

Hope this helps
Section 71 Chair
Old 05-17-2005, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kayla0deegee
Yeah that helps a lot, thanks!!!
I also think it is important that I learn about it first before bringing anything up and I think the rest of the girls would be interested in at least having more information about it. Thanks so much!!!
Old 05-17-2005, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emb021
There are many reasons for running your meeting by Parliamentary Procedure (Robert's Rules is just ONE parliamentary authority).

First off, you need to learn what parliamentary procedure is yourself. I think there have been several resources cited in this thread. Then get your fellow members to understand it as well, then as a group take this matter to your president explaining how she needs to follow it as well to be an effective president.

Hope this helps
Here are some more resources:

Parliamentary organizations (may have local groups near you)-

National Association of Parliamentarians http://www.parliamentarians.org

American Institute of Parliamentarians
http://www.parliamentaryprocedure.org/

Other sites-
Official Robert's Rules site
http://www.robertsrules.com/

Parliamentarian sites
http://www.jimslaughter.com/
http://www.parli.com/
http://www.rulesonline.com/
http://www.nancysylvester.com/
http://www.csufresno.edu/comm/cagle-p3.htm

Get a copy of Robert's Rules in Bried, as well as the current edition of Robert's Rules of Order, Newly Revised (RONR).

Hope this helps.
Section 71 Chair