GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,575
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,326
3 members and 1,323 guests
amIblue?, LaneSig, PGD-GRAD

Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

HELP-Lost Badge

I have always been so careful with my big's badge (we wear our big's until ours comes in), but today I think I must have lost it somehow even though it was zipped up in my wallet. Maybe it fell out when I pulled my phone out of my wallet to check it? The sad thing is that I must have been walking outside. I've retraced my steps multiple times, but I guess it has to be somewhere in the dirt on campus. I'm seriously about to cry right now--I've been careful with it all year and was just bringing it back to return it to her. I wouldn't be quite so upset if it were my own pin.

My question to y'all is this (I don't want to ask my chapter officers just yet because I still have a slight hope that I will find it and nobody will know how careless I was): is it possible to order a replacement of the exact same badge from HQ/Herff Jones? Like with her initials and chapter engraved on the back? Because that's what she deserves, and I certainly don't want to get her someone else's badge off Ebay or anything. And how much will it cost, or is it insured or free? Thanks!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Molly.... you in danger, girl.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

First off, Eeek!! I certainly hope you find the badge or it gets returned to the chapter by some caring individual.

Second... in case the badge doesn't find its way back, YES, a replacement can be ordered. I'm a Phi Mu, so it may be a little bit of a different process for you, plus you're a recent initiate (at least I'm assuming, because you're still waiting for your badge to come in). Anyway, you might have to contact your sorority's national headquarters and get the details. It would help to know your big's initiation date, but then again, they'll probably have that on record. I got myself an additional badge back in March, and Herff-Jones was given my initials, etc. by our headquarters, and it was engraved on the back of my new badge, so yes, I'm absolutely sure they can do it.

The other option, which I would recommend, is this: talk to your chapter's President and/or New Member Educator. She'll/they'll have the info that was on the badge (initials and initiation date), and they can get in touch with Executive Office for you, and they can also see that the charge for the badge gets put on your bill.

Good luck!! I remember well the nervous feeling I had when I wore my big's badge, and I even thought I lost it for a while... fortunately it turned up in my dresser a day or two later. Here's hoping things turn out well for you!!
Macon Magnolias
Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I know how you feel! I lost my Big's badge once... but then I found it later sitting next to all my stuff (what a relieving feeling!).

I would tell your Big first and tell her you'll buy her a replacement one. And then talk to your NME or Pres, then HQ
Old 09-06-2010, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Stating the obvious: file a police report or reports (campus police and city police).

If the badge isn't found and turned in to your chapter, it MAY turn up in an online auction site (there are several, not just e**y). The police report(s) may aid you in recovering the badge if this happens.

In the meantime, keeping good thoughts that it turns up...
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless something has changed, I don't think the badge was insured and I don't believe it will be replaced for free.

Personally, I would just send EO an email tonight and ask them what the policy is since they will know and it's quite probable your officers won't off the top of their heads. You'll probably get an answer first thing in the morning when everyone gets to EO.

So sorry this happened to you! Saying a little prayer it will show up!

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Stating the obvious: file a police report or reports (campus police and city police). If the badge isn't found and turned in to your chapter, it MAY turn up in an online auction site (there are several, not just e**y). The police report(s) may aid you in recovering the badge if this happens.
This. In addition to working with your chapter to get the word out, file a police report. Just in case. I sincerely hope that someone finds it and turns it into one of your sisters so you can get it back, but in case that doesn't happen a police report could mean the difference between getting it back or not. Good luck
Old 09-06-2010, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaPearl View Post
I have always been so careful with my big's badge (we wear our big's until ours comes in), but today I think I must have lost it somehow even though it was zipped up in my wallet. Maybe it fell out when I pulled my phone out of my wallet to check it? The sad thing is that I must have been walking outside. I've retraced my steps multiple times, but I guess it has to be somewhere in the dirt on campus. I'm seriously about to cry right now--I've been careful with it all year and was just bringing it back to return it to her. I wouldn't be quite so upset if it were my own pin.

My question to y'all is this (I don't want to ask my chapter officers just yet because I still have a slight hope that I will find it and nobody will know how careless I was): is it possible to order a replacement of the exact same badge from HQ/Herff Jones? Like with her initials and chapter engraved on the back? Because that's what she deserves, and I certainly don't want to get her someone else's badge off Ebay or anything. And how much will it cost, or is it insured or free? Thanks!
You will need to talk to your chapter officers. THey have the information because you yourself cannot just contact Herff Jones without having the correct information.

I believe last years cost for only the cresent was 135. Did she have a trident with it?

Talk to your VPF or VPCD. They will be able to help you. Make sure you state that you will be paying for everything. They are not insured and it will cost you to replace it.

Last edited by jennyj87; 09-06-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Check with your household/renter's insurance - they covered my badge when it was stolen at Convention.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Check with your household/renter's insurance - they covered my badge when it was stolen at Convention.
Absolutely! When I was in school, our dorm had a fire, and we just couldn't get the smell out of a LOT of clothing. Our parents' home owner policies took care of the loss.

Also, I was absolutely positive my pin was one place, and was sure I lost it. TWO YEARS LATER, it showed up. A police report is definitely the way to establish the rightful owner. And that's especially true on the auction sites.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know the information for paying for it, but I know one of my sisters lost her badge a few semesters ago and they were able to include a replacement with the incoming orders for the newer initiates. You definitely need to tell your New Member Ed. The VPCD would be the one dealing with the order, so you could also talk to her, whichever you're more comfortable with. By going through your officers, they can insure that your Big's initials, chapter, and initiate number are engraved on the back.

I think jennyj87 covered the cost correctly in her post (I honestly don't remember since I received mine four years ago) and they are not insured simply through being issued.

What's important is that it can be replaced and since you are willing to cover the cost, I am sure it will go over smoothly. Just make sure to talk to your New Member Ed or the VPCD as soon as possible.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

FWIW - my insurance did not pay the full replacement cost; I ended up getting a refurbished badge from IHQ.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, everybody! I told my big today (which was what I was most nervous about since I didn't want to disappoint her), and I'm sure she was a little upset, but she gave me a hug and told me she cares more about me than the pin

I also reported it to Campus Safety. We're going to wait a while and see if it turns up before ordering a new one. But thanks, pearlbubbles, for suggesting that it would be easiest to order it with the new members' badges. That's probably true. In the meantime, she might ask the officers if she can wear a recently deactivated girl's badge for pref, which is coming up, since it would look weird to the PNMs if one sister didn't have one. Or maybe she will wear my friend's grandmother's.

We live on a tiny, close-knit campus that is 55% greek, so I really don't think anyone would steal it, but maybe I'll file a police report just in case.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaPearl View Post

We live on a tiny, close-knit campus that is 55% greek, so I really don't think anyone would steal it, but maybe I'll file a police report just in case.
Please file the police report. You can possibly do it over the phone; or even online.

And, I'm not giving up hope that it will show up!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-07-2010, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

It might not be another Greek or sister that would take it, so all of the advice to file a police report is definitely good.

Mine was taken and subsequently returned through several people, but with the diamond in the center missing. I still haven't gotten around to ordering a new one, but in hindsight I wish I had filed a police report.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx