GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,187
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,022
0 members and 1,022 guests
No Members online

Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Pledge father night ideas

My chapter is in the process of changing how we reveal pledge fathers to the pledges but we want to keep it as fun and surprising as possible. Do any chapters have fun pledge father reveal schemes that don't include alcohol or hazing but are fun for both pledges and initiates?

What about for initiation night/week?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Trust falls. Pledges are blind folded and told to say what they want in a big brother. They then turn around and fall back for their big brother to catch them.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Each pledge father is given a colored string. The pledge fathers twist their string around the others. The pledges are then given the string that matches their pledge father. They must all untwist the strings until they find the person holding the same color as themselves. When you match, VOILA! you found your pledge father.

DaffyKD
Old 10-15-2012, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
Each pledge father is given a colored string. The pledge fathers twist their string around the others. The pledges are then given the string that matches their pledge father. They must all untwist the strings until they find the person holding the same color as themselves. When you match, VOILA! you found your pledge father.
For college-aged guys? Sounds way too girly too me.

But take me with a grain of salt -- the idea that revealing who your big brother is should be "fun" to begin with is totally foreign to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFR1476 View Post
What about for initiation night/week?
What's the question about initiation night/week?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
But take me with a grain of salt -- the idea that revealing who your big brother is should be "fun" to begin with is totally foreign to me.
Ditto

Old 10-17-2012, 04:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
What's the question about initiation night/week?
How can we initiate (informally) those guys that make grades without alcohol? We used to reveal their numbers and celebrate and party.

The idea of trust falls still sounds foofy. I'm guessing a lot of fraternity chapters look the other way when it comes to these "special closed house" events? But please, tell me I'm totally wrong...
Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
How can we initiate (informally) those guys that make grades without alcohol? We used to reveal their numbers and celebrate and party.

The idea of trust falls still sounds foofy. I'm guessing a lot of fraternity chapters look the other way when it comes to these "special closed house" events? But please, tell me I'm totally wrong...
Initiation shouldn't include alcohol. If you want to have a party, have it the day after.

I also really wonder what your number/scroll system is if the new brothers can't figure their numbers out on their own.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I also really wonder what your number/scroll system is if the new brothers can't figure their numbers out on their own.
We didn't get our numbers until the end of pledging, as there were a few people that dropped out and we weren't 100% sure of the chapter's numbering conventions.

I didn't know that having your number was a big deal in IFC-type organizations, though. Learn something new every day.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I didn't know that having your number was a big deal in IFC-type organizations, though. Learn something new every day.
It depends on the campus culture.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Being top of your pledge class is a pretty big deal. It means you got highest GPA your pledge semester, passed more pledge education tests than the other brothers, and got all of your votes in to be initiated.

But to get back on the issue... we can't really have a party the day after either. It's an issue of underage drinking, not mixing alcohol and initiation/pledge father night. I just know that some other fraternity has had the pressure put on them by the national organization and wanted to see how they kept their fun while keeping their noses clean, if you get what I'm saying.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Being top of your pledge class is a pretty big deal. It means you got highest GPA your pledge semester, passed more pledge education tests than the other brothers, and got all of your votes in to be initiated.

But to get back on the issue... we can't really have a party the day after either. It's an issue of underage drinking, not mixing alcohol and initiation/pledge father night. I just know that some other fraternity has had the pressure put on them by the national organization and wanted to see how they kept their fun while keeping their noses clean, if you get what I'm saying.
Re your first paragraph: Oh, didn't know some groups did it in any way other than alphabetical. That sounds like a huge pain in the ass to get all the info together, have it ready in time for initiation, submit it to nationals etc etc.

Re your second paragraph: If you can't figure out how to do what you're asking without asking random strangers on the internet...you should probably go to Wendy's and get large Frostys and leave it go at that, celebration-wise.