GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,130
2 members and 1,128 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Transferring not yet initatied

So I'm in a sorority at A&M and will be transferring to a different school (out of state) in the Fall. I will be a sophomore (i did spring INFORMAL RECRUITMENT) so i have not yet been initated into this sorority. I didn't think I was ever going to transfer until now so that's why I decided to "rush". I was wondering if going to a school where I know absolutely no one would be good for me to be in a sorority already (transferring into the chapter there) or if I should not be initiated here and just do Fall recruitment there to possibly meet more people? I'm very confused on my situation and any feedback will help. Thank you.

Last edited by aggiegirl15; 02-24-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiegirl15 View Post
So I'm in a sorority at A&M and will be transferring to a different school (out of state) in the Fall. I will be a sophomore (i did spring "dirty rush") meaning I was basically just given a bid to fill a quota, so i have not yet been initated into this sorority. I didn't think I was ever going to transfer until now so that's why I decided to "rush". I was wondering if going to a school where I know absolutely no one would be good for me to be in a sorority already (transferring into the chapter there) or if I should not be initiated here and just do Fall recruitment there to possibly meet more people? I'm very confused on my situation and any feedback will help. Thank you.
Quoting Smoky The Bear: Only You...can decide.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

but do you have any advice?
Old 02-24-2014, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Here are my 2 cents .. even if you initiate you may or may not be able to transfer. Some NPCs require/allow the receiving chapter to vote on affiliations. Even if they do affiliate, you might not fit in and then have the choice of paying dues when you're unhappy or resigning.

On the other hand, if you re-rush there's no guarantee that you'll receive a bid at your new school..

As always, my advice is to sit down and write down the pros and cons of each situation and decide which one you'd rather live with.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So I'm in a sorority at A&M and will be transferring to a different school (out of state) in the Fall. I will be a sophomore (i did spring "dirty rush") meaning I was basically just given a bid to fill a quota, so i have not yet been initated into this sorority.
Why would you pledge a sorority and even consider going through with initiation if you think you were given a bid just to "fill a quota"? Do you not like your GLO?

And "dirty rush" does not mean what you seem to think it means....
Old 02-24-2014, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm new sorry maybe I didn't say it with the correct wording.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:27 PM

Do not initiate. Far better to maybe not be Greek at your new school than to be tethered to a sorority whose members you may have nothing in common with, who may not want you to affiliate, or who may not be at your school at all. And what if you get to your school and meet a group of girls you love - & it's a different sorority? The only way I would recommend initiating is if you have already gotten to know and like the girls at your new school's chapter.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So I'm in a sorority at A&M and will be transferring to a different school (out of state) in the Fall. I will be a sophomore (i did spring "dirty rush") meaning I was basically just given a bid to fill a quota, so i have not yet been initated into this sorority. I didn't think I was ever going to transfer until now so that's why I decided to "rush". I was wondering if going to a school where I know absolutely no one would be good for me to be in a sorority already (transferring into the chapter there) or if I should not be initiated here and just do Fall recruitment there to possibly meet more people? I'm very confused on my situation and any feedback will help. Thank you.
So did you receive bid since this last post?

Quote:
Hi everyone I'm brand new here at GC!
So this was my first year at Blinn in Bryan (I'm a freshman), I recently got accepted to Texas A&M for next fall! SO EXCITED. Anyways, I graduated high school a year early so I'll be 18 until next December. I really want to rush this coming Fall, and I heard it's somewhat difficult for sophomores? My brother is in one of the top Fraternity's at TAMU so I know a lot of his girl-friends in sororities here who have really made me want to rush! Also, I want to keep the tradition going for Greek in my family. I would have a lot of rec letters! I'm just wondering if it will be tough for me since I will be a young sophomore to get a bid anywhere next semester?!

Thanks and Gig Em
Also, I am not sure what you mean by "spring 'dirty rush'" . Are you saying that you were extended a bid outside formal recruitment? There's such a thing as "informal reccuitment" or "COB" - "Continuous open bidding". I would definitely get the terminology right, regardless of what choices you make. The term "dirty rush" implies something very different.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:42 PM

I've heard of schools using the term "dirty rush" in a very different connotation from what most of us think of. I didn't think SMU was one of them though.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I've heard of schools using the term "dirty rush" in a very different connotation from what most of us think of. I didn't think SMU was one of them though.
SMU? She is at Texas A&M
Old 02-24-2014, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post

Also, I am not sure what you mean by "spring 'dirty rush'" . Are you saying that you were extended a bid outside formal recruitment? There's such a thing as "informal reccuitment" or "COB" - "Continuous open bidding". I would definitely get the terminology right, regardless of what choices you make. The term "dirty rush" implies something very different.
Yes! Dirty rush doesn't = quick and dirty (i.e. non-formal recruitment). It means you're doing things against the rules. Don't say that you dirty rushed!

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-24-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh this is confusing. But I think I get it. First she was at a community college, then she transferred into A&M Fall 2013, she got a bid Spring 2014 thru COB or informal.

Yeah. That's it. Now she wants to know if she should be initiated. I have NO IDEA. I don't know her, I don't know her school or chapter, etc. I'm guessing she isn't thrilled with the sorority she's currently in ("just given a bid to fill a quota"). I'm with 33 and AZ-Alpha Xi. Write it out, but don't initiate if you ain't in love.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
SMU? She is at Texas A&M
Lol. I can barely see the screen and just caught the M part. At any rate, I didn't think they were a school that said it either.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay guys I'm terribly sorry for using the word DIRTY RUSH definitely didn't mean to cause anything here. Okay, informal recruitment is what I meant.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

And yes I transferred from a CC.