Welcome to our newest member, 60αρης Ηράκλειο
» Online Users: 1,491
3 members and 1,488 guests
amIblue?, John, navane

Old 02-03-2004, 06:33 AM
GreekChat Member

National Convention for Local GLOs

Hello everyone!

Though we didn't have all of the cool stuff the national sororities did, my local, Kappa Delta Sigma, was very special to me. It would have been so neat to have a convention; alas, we were only one chapter!

The idea of having a convention for local GLOs has been tossed around for some time. I believe there have even been some regional ones. However, I would like to propose the possiblity of holding a national-level convention for local fraternities and sororities in the Summer of 2004.

I own an event management company here in San Diego, California and so I would like to volunteer my business as the one to get this rolling. This means that, while I would eventually take nominations for people who wish to volunteer to be on event staff or serve as workshop presenters, this event is not by committee.

The convention would be held in San Diego and would include all sorts of activities including: a grand welcoming, fun icebreaker events, workshops covering topics important to locals, local sightseeing (possibly a group trip to Sea World), guest speakers, a grand banquet and more!

I would try to keep it as cost-effective as possible while still allowing for fun things such as: workshop materials, t-shirts, goodie bags, group photo and so on...

I understand that many of you live in other parts of the US (or Canada!)....but I'm hoping the generous advance notice would convince you to attend.

What I would like to know is:

1) How many of you are still interested in the idea of attending a national-level convention?

2) Which time-period do you think would be best? (pick as many as apply or choose your own)

- late May
- early June
- late June
- mid July
- early August
- mid August
- late August
- September
- <fill in the blank with your other suggestion>

Certain time periods have been left out of the above list as my company already has other summer events on the calendar.

Thanks for your input!

.....Kelly
Old 02-03-2004, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HollisterDXiChi Send a message via Yahoo to HollisterDXiChi
I think the idea is awesome! Yeah it would be pretty expensive but I think it would be a great experince! My sorority will be haivng a meeting this Sunday...I will bring up the topic to them. I am actually pretty excited about it!
DXi Till I Die!
Old 02-10-2004, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

*bump*

Can I get some "yea" or "nay" please?

.....Kelly
Old 02-10-2004, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to BabyP
I will also bring this up to my sorority also!!
Old 02-14-2004, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea Yea Yea....

But I'm in Tennessee.... California is too far. Awesome idea though and I hope a lot of groups can attend!
Old 02-18-2004, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Yea Yea Yea....

Quote:
Originally posted by MTSUGURL
But I'm in Tennessee.... California is too far. Awesome idea though and I hope a lot of groups can attend!

It's not too far! That's why I gave the mega advance notice; there's plenty of time for people to work it out.

Plus, I figure, members of national sororities don't all live in the same region and yet they manage to get to their cons! I understand that they have a reason to make the effort because it's their organization....but I just thought that maybe local Greeks would like a chance to play too!

Ah well....thanks for responding!

.....Kelly
Old 02-18-2004, 03:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a question...Is your local a chapter in chico??
Old 02-18-2004, 07:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
not trying to crash your thread...

But as a memeber of a national sorority, I think this is a wonderful idea. In fact, I think some of the Nat. GLOs might be interested in volunteering to see this take off for all of you. This would elliminate some of the tasks needed to be preformed so that all of you could attend and enjoy. Interested??
Old 02-19-2004, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Damaris
My org is located in NYC but I KNOW my Sisters would be willing to travel anywhere there is a Locals convention. Anytime between June and August would be ideal for most of us, as we start the new semester at the very end of August.

Thanks for volunteering to take on such an enormous responsibility!
Old 02-19-2004, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I'll try... I would hate to miss the opportunity, and I would love to be able to put faces and voices with screen names!

skerbow, what a sweet thing to volunteer!
Old 02-20-2004, 04:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rayray
I have a question...Is your local a chapter in chico??

Do you mean me? If so, the answer is no. I went to Long Beach State.

.....Kelly
Old 02-20-2004, 04:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: not trying to crash your thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by skerbow
But as a memeber of a national sorority, I think this is a wonderful idea. In fact, I think some of the Nat. GLOs might be interested in volunteering to see this take off for all of you. This would elliminate some of the tasks needed to be preformed so that all of you could attend and enjoy. Interested??

Wow, that is very nice of you to offer! Could you tell me more about what you mean?

.....Kelly
Old 02-20-2004, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Its not natioal, but you might be interested...

The 3rd annual midwest local sororities convention is going to be held April 4-5, 2004 in Kansas City. Delta Rho will be hosting it, and for more information, you can email them at umkcdeltarho@umkc.edu
Old 02-20-2004, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skerbow Send a message via MSN to skerbow Send a message via Yahoo to skerbow
Re: Re: not trying to crash your thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by navane
Wow, that is very nice of you to offer! Could you tell me more about what you mean?

.....Kelly
Well at our national conventions, we have people that run luncheons, do guest speaking, run raffles and booths, and basically oversee the overall convention. I just thought it might be nice to have some women from NGLOs to run some of the workshops, be guest speakers, run exhibit booths and raffles. Especially as some of the locals are trying to become nationals, this might be a good "in" with the NGLO, if the right people attended.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

This is what i am talking about

Well as a founding father of my fraternity i would like to say that this is a good idea, and we can bring some workshops to the covention that alot of people have never heard of, even fundraising events. Yes i feel that my brothers and I would love to attend this engagment. If u need any help with spreading the word let me know. And i strongly believe that doing the event in the summer time would be the best i think around june , its not to busy, and its not during the holiday.

if u need to contact me my email address is Ltrain86@hotmail.com
or u can instant message me at that same address on MSN.

#5 D.0.7 Bloodline Mu Omega Pi Fraternity Inc. Est. 2001 A Multicultural Fraternity.... "Upholding the Standards of Perfection"