GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,155
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, luvdovemrh
» Online Users: 1,539
3 members and 1,536 guests
Charlesrex

Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Special trains to convention

This is from a post I just wrote. I've included the first two paragraphs here. If you'd like to read more visit the post. There is even a link to some Kappa Alpha Theta video footage taken on the last special train Theta sponsored.

The collegians and alumni/ae who are headed to conventions this summer will likely drive or fly to their destinations. Imagine what it must have been like when rail travel was the way people got to where they were going! “Specials,” those trains reserved solely for one group of travelers, added days onto the fun of being among members of one’s own organization. On these special trains filled with fraternity and sorority members traveling to a far off locale for a meeting, the fun began days before the meeting started.

On June 30, 1915, a group of Massachusetts Pi Beta Phis, including the delegate from the Western Massachusetts Alumnae Club, Grace Goodhue Coolidge, left Boston headed for Berkeley, California. Louise Richardson wrote a first-hand account of the train ride that appeared in the December 1915 Arrow of Pi Beta Phi. The group traveled to Chicago where the Convention attendees boarded the “Pi Phi Special”, ten cars filled with Pi Phis traveling to Berkeley.

The rest of the post is at: wp.me/p20I1i-T6
Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
The group traveled to Chicago where the Convention attendees boarded the “Pi Phi Special”, ten cars filled with Pi Phis traveling to Berkeley.
That sounds like so much fun!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I remember talking to some older alumnae at convention when I was a collegian. They talked very fondly of the Specials and how much it added to the whole experience. I've often thought it would have been a neat experience.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I added another post about information on Delta Gamma's Special Train. DG had a special train to convention starting in 1881! The last special train to a Delta Gamma convention was in the 1950s.

http://wp.me/p20I1i-Uj