Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,510
2 members and 1,508 guests
No Members online

Old 12-18-2002, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to essenceofomega
Insurance

Anyone from the NJ/NY area? I need help with getting some insurance for my org.
Old 01-06-2003, 06:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Insurance

Hi,

My sorority is local, and I was wondering if anyone knew about how we should handle insurance. We can't afford to have insurance without doubling our dues, but we don't want to have to have someone fill out a release form evertime we have a party allowing them to drink responsibily. How can we get around this?
Old 10-17-2003, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Re:Insurance

My sorority has insurance, it was difficult to find and most insurance companies don't insure fraternities and sororities and the ones that do were extremely expensive since they are for bigger Panhel and IFC groups. We had to do a lot of research and put a lot of effort into securing a reasonable agent.

I'll be honest it is a lot of money and if you don't want to raise dues then do fundraisers. We did not raise dues but fundraised and relied on family and friends to contribute. It was worth it, we have liability insurance and all our members are covered. This looks good when we speak with campus administrators about our organization and gives us a sense of security.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Cultural,

I know how hard it is. We are still currently searching. If you dont mint can you please tell me what company you went with. You can PM it you want. Right now we are fundraising like crazy to raise the money, but the hard part is finding a good company as most wont insure locals. Thanks.

Jessica
Old 10-19-2003, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it a school requirement for you to have insurance for the sorority? My sorority doesn't have any kind of insurance and our school doesn't require it. This is the first time that I've heard of a local doing insurance so I'm just curious. I know that if/when we do go national, we're going to have insurance.bbb
Old 10-19-2003, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Daisy, my school does require every organization to have insurance. It does not matter if it is local, regional of national. Sigh, we are still looking.

Jessica
Old 10-20-2003, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

If anyone could give me any help with finding an insurance company I would REALLY appreciate it. I was given a quote of over $7,300. Is that normal? We can't afford that. We are trying to think up of some fundraiser ideas but I don't know how we can raise that much money by March.
WE NEED HELP SOON
Old 10-20-2003, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Your best bet is to go with a local insurance company, someone that one of your members or parents use already. You have to show them that you are a good risk - standard risk mgt policy, high values in members, good grades, advisors, involved alumni, long term plans for the organization, etc.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

MyLife,

What state are you located in. I am in NJ and I got a 10,000 quote I almost died. I am going to check this one place out and will see how it goes. We are at a loss right now.

Jessica
Old 10-20-2003, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

What kind of insurance exactly do you need? I'm still confused, sorry.
Old 10-20-2003, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by essenceofomega
MyLife,

What state are you located in. I am in NJ and I got a 10,000 quote I almost died. I am going to check this one place out and will see how it goes. We are at a loss right now.

Jessica
I'm in Michigan. We received our quote from Hobbs Group/Kirklin & Co., LLC. I heard they were one of the cheapest places for small groups. I was hoping that wasn't the case....

Cultural,
I'm not sure if you can give out this information, but what insurance agency did you go with?

DaisyKLP,
It is liablity insurance. This is to protect us from any accidents that might happen to our members or pledges. If a lawsuit is filed against your sorority and you don't have insurance, I believe it would fall on the head of the Chapter President.
Old 10-20-2003, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Daisy,

In most states, if your group doesn't have liability insurance, and someone were to be hurt or killed at one of your events, your officers, individual members and even their parents might be sued.

The ugly truth is that you'd better get coverage or disband. You just can't afford to take that kind of chance.

It could ruin any of you financially for the rest of your life.

Not trying to be scary -- just letting you know the reality here.

There are some insurance threads in Risk Management as well, I believe.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Insurance/Tapes

Hello Everyone,
I hope the info on General Liability Insurance was helpful. I also needed help in another area. We have been looking for a way to purschase videao tapes on topics such as alcohol awareness, sorority and fraternity life, etc. for our organization. Does anyone know where I can find this?

I also had another announce we recently inducted six lovely and sophisticated women into our family Their new mwmber process will be for a few weeks before being initiated. we are also in the process of installing a Beta Chapter. EXCITING NEWS!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Insurance/Tapes

Quote:
Originally posted by cultural
I also had another announce we recently inducted six lovely and sophisticated women into our family Their new mwmber process will be for a few weeks before being initiated. we are also in the process of installing a Beta Chapter. EXCITING NEWS!!!
CONGRATS!!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Cultural,

Thank you for the information, I will be calling today to see what they say. COngrats on your new girls, and your new chapter. We have been working endlessly with all of the loos ends that need to be addressed, and as a founder it is really hard. Daisy, insruance is very important for all of the reasons already outlined, our school sees you as a liability if you dont have any, so they require it. Good luck on everyones search and I will keep you updated as to what I find out.

Jessica