Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, Aliciasmith
» Online Users: 1,114
1 members and 1,113 guests
John

Old 08-20-2006, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Comments on the new AI sub-forum?

Ok! So this is interesting. John has elected to move the AI sub-forum to a place under the Recruitment forum.

My very first thought was "Ack".

There were lots of ladies on here protesting that GC has become a way to drum-up attention for AI, attention that is unwanted by many international organizations. And yet, now we're going to put this topic under the heading of "recruitment"? Ack. I thought that was the whole point, that we didn't want GC to become a recruitment tool for AI. That some groups *do not* want PNAMs to approach them.

Further to that, every year we have PNMs go through recruitment at their college and fail to get a bid. Some people, with good intentions, tell these women that, "you can always AI". AIs and AI supporters will protest this type of response as, no, one can't always AI. Picking up women who failed to get a bid was never the intention of AI; but hey, now we're going to pair the AI sub-forum with the Recruitment section so all of the failed PNMs can just move on down the line?

Any thoughts on this?

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 08-20-2006, 02:54 PM

As I pointed out in another thread somewhere, it's kind of wrong to have anything about AI in the alumnae forum since the women pursuing AI aren't alumnae YET (and if their pursuits don't work out, may never be). They are in the process of joining.

Now if after they join, they want to post in the alumni forum about their experiences as alumni, that's different.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree in some ways, but it's a heck of a lot better than where it was. Carnation and Penguintrax do a very good job of moderating this forum. To me it's still not the best solution, but at least now it can be moderated.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

As long as it doesn't go from under(or non)-Moded to overModed, I'm good with the change.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
As I pointed out in another thread somewhere, it's kind of wrong to have anything about AI in the alumnae forum since the women pursuing AI aren't alumnae YET (and if their pursuits don't work out, may never be). They are in the process of joining.

Now if after they join, they want to post in the alumni forum about their experiences as alumni, that's different.

That's a fair point. I peronally don't really have an issue with that so much. In my post, I was speaking more to the argument that GreekChat creates an unwanted market for AIs. There have been many, many posts insisting that collegiate recruitment and alumnae initiation are not the same thing and now we've got them both under the same heading.

.....Kelly

True and Constant
Old 08-20-2006, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane
That's a fair point. I peronally don't really have an issue with that so much. In my post, I was speaking more to the argument that GreekChat creates an unwanted market for AIs. There have been many, many posts insisting that collegiate recruitment and alumnae initiation are not the same thing and now we've got them both under the same heading.

.....Kelly
I guess we'll just have to count on our sisters to "weed out" those persuing AI for the wrong reasons.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Let us hope so.

It will be interesting to follow this forum.

I just hope it works for the best interest of GC.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-20-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane

.....Kelly
Fraternity rush and sorority rush aren't the same thing either.

That is why we have subforums.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

At least it will be a moderated subforum.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
At least it will be a moderated subforum.
Amen to that!
Old 08-20-2006, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax
Carnation and I are aware of the many issues in the AI forum. However, John's move is something I agreed with because AI is a membership related activity and the Recruitment forum seemed like a good fit. In addition, both Carnation and I are fairly strict, if fair, mods and that is well known. I think that will also help keep discussions on point.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax
Carnation and I are aware of the many issues in the AI forum. However, John's move is something I agreed with because AI is a membership related activity and the Recruitment forum seemed like a good fit. In addition, both Carnation and I are fairly strict, if fair, mods and that is well known. I think that will also help keep discussions on point.

GOOD!

Does this include non Greeks in posting comments?

Congratulations on both becomeing New Mods of this Sub-Forum, you both are well respected!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-20-2006, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax
YES!

I think it is a great move. (unless we just got rid of it all together)
Old 08-20-2006, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

It is in a more noticeable place. I'm not certain the audience coming to "Recruitment" is the same, whereas Alumnae were older and graduated. The audience in the Alumnae forum seemed a better fit.

Unless of course it went away, and I think some would like that, too.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
For the people that have stars in their eyes about post college sorority membership, it reinforces the idea that sorority shopping for AI is accepted and encouraged.

In a few months someone will say, "But AI is in the recruitment forum! Which shows its a form of recruitment . . . and of course its even harder and more selective than undergraduate recruitment!"

ETA: I understand all the other reasons for moving the forum.