GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,145
Threads: 115,589
Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,502
0 members and 1,502 guests
No Members online

Old 05-22-2001, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Have you bought a pin on eBay?

Have any of you ever bought a pin from your GLO on eBay, and what is the most you have paid? I saw one of ours on there recently, one of the first I'd seen, and just the thought of one of those people whose name I see on every other pin auction getting it made me angry, so I bought it for $90. Higher than I wanted to pay, but has the fact that it is one of your pins made you pay more than you wanted to?

Brian
Old 05-22-2001, 10:03 PM
Unregistered-

Angry

My low income prohibits me from buying badges online, but my chapter advisors, alumnae as well as some chapter sisters have rescued some of them. Out of that bunch the most they paid was $124, which is slightly higher than one would actually pay for a tiffany pearl badge through the official vendor.

If I had more money I'd definitely do it and the price wouldn't matter because I'd hate to see it in the wrong hands. Did you see the Pi Phi badge up for auction? One day left, and the current price is $1312. The highest bidder has no feedback...maybe it's a Pi Phi purposely trying to sabotage the auction?

FYI: Beware of these bidders-they seem to be bidding on many different badges:
  • kappanole (buys Kappa items, but has won badges for many other NPC Fraternities)
  • dr4image (couldn't really tell if she had a Greek affiliation)
  • pgmrchik (won an AGD badge the other day for $80+)
  • imadphie (her excuse is that she "saves" badges from being sent to the melting pot, but come on--too many people know that badges are a hot ticket item!); currently has a ZTA badge up for auction now...how's that for Panhellenic love?

I'm positive that there are more...but those are the only ones I can think of right now.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

another one who gets a lot is named "skidmarks", how appropriate.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Just looked at that Pi Phi badge -- it is at $1,710 currently! Ridiculous.... oh, and I just remembered another bidder, betapifiji. He actually had a bid on that pi phi badge as did skidmarks.
Old 05-22-2001, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know what the deal is with the Pi Phi badge but the seller mentions that the pin is larger than normal. Therefore, I wonder if it's some Grand President's pin... I know ours usually wear bigger arrows and I've met a Kappa national president who had on this huge Kappa key.
Old 05-23-2001, 02:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand why someone would put their badge up for sale. Granted I am not in my org anymore but would never place it up for sale. What is the merit of having a badge when you didn't go through the expirience. I have read some of the previous threads about this topic, and agree with you all about keeping badges within the org.
Old 05-23-2001, 02:33 AM
Unregistered-

Exclamation

Ex greek--

Most of the badge sellers acquire their items from various estate sales, antique shops, and through other badge auctions online. I haven't yet come across an auction by a disgruntled ex-member, and I hope to never see one!

Upon a member's death, many orgs state that a badge must be buried with the member or returned to headquarters. Unfortunately, some members don't tell their loved ones about this and that's why these badges show up at estate sales.

The badges are supposed to be "leased" to the member while s/he is in the org. and is property of the org. Still, the lease seems to be more of a moral issue than a legal one.

------------------
"From a little spark may burst a mighty flame."--Dante

Visit Alpha Gamma Delta-Delta Sigma chapter and help some sisters out!
Old 05-23-2001, 02:42 AM
GreekChat Member

[This message has been edited by Ex greek (edited August 07, 2001).]
Old 05-23-2001, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine:
FYI: Beware of these bidders-they seem to be bidding on many different badges:
  • kappanole (buys Kappa items, but has won badges for many other NPC Fraternities)
  • dr4image (couldn't really tell if she had a Greek affiliation)
  • pgmrchik (won an AGD badge the other day for $80+)
  • imadphie (her excuse is that she "saves" badges from being sent to the melting pot, but come on--too many people know that badges are a hot ticket item!); currently has a ZTA badge up for auction now...how's that for Panhellenic love?

I'm positive that there are more...but those are the only ones I can think of right now.
(not just to OTW: just used your quote)
Honestly, this list (and other posts) are making me sick. Not because they are buying badges, but because some of you all are obsessed with making their lives miserable. Who made you God? If ANYONE ever harassed me, I would report them to their internet provider and harass them back. I think I am going to notify these people that they are being discussed openly on an internet site.

There are more important things in this world than tracking badge buyers!

By the way, I have bought several badges, and enjoy each one. They make wonderful conversation pieces and would NEVER be mishandled or misused.
Old 05-23-2001, 09:28 PM

Thumbs down

I just wish there was a way NIC and NPC could sue the @#$% out of ebay for selling things that, in actuality, are the fraternities' and sororities' property. The thought of someone paying $1700 for a pin when that money could be used to help some of the great philanthropies that Greeks support (not to mention paying for some poor college student's room and board) makes me ill.

I really am angrier with the sellers more than the buyers - they could care less what they are selling, and the ignorance makes me cuckoo (ex. for Sigma Chi - "this has the letters EX!" At least learn your Greek alphabet cheese dong!).

[This message has been edited by 33girl (edited May 23, 2001).]
Old 05-23-2001, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
[B]

I really am angrier with the sellers more than the buyers - they could care less what they are selling, and the ignorance makes me cuckoo (ex. for Sigma Chi - "this has the letters EX!" At least learn your Greek alphabet cheese dong!).

B]
I absolutely agree! I would never dream of selling my pins to anyone. Mine each have a special place in my room (NOT on display)and no one is allowed to touch them unless I hand it over.

I just wish people wouldn't get so bentover backwards about the people who sell and buy badges! (that must hurt a lot! )

Just let people do their own thing.
Old 05-23-2001, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cash78mere:
Just let people do their own thing.
Hi, Cash78mere! Thank you for your post. Obviously, most members of GreekChat are very much against the selling of GLO pins on Ebay and it is interesting to hear (read?) an opposing viewpoint. Please don't think I am being sarcastic when I ask you this, because I really don't mean to come off that way.

I was just curious to know what you think of Ebay sellers who auction off things like Nazi memorabilia or items from other hate groups. Certainly there are groups who are against that, who feel it is immoral, but do you think they should keep quiet and let the sellers "do their own thing"?

Again, no offense or sarcasm is intended. I was just interested after reading your post to get your take on this.

Take care,

------------------
@~Tracy~@
Proud to be Delta-Z

By the light of the lamp, by the light of the lamp, by the bright shiny light, by the light of the lamp...if you are a DeeZee, you're the best that you can be, by the bright shiny light of the lamp!
Old 05-23-2001, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

cash78mere,

I don't make anyone's life miserable. I don't e-mail these people and tell them off or anything, so you've got me wrong. I'm just upset that when there is something that belongs to my organization that members would like to have (i.e. a pin), there is competition for it from non-members who are less deserving of it. I'm sure if you saw a pin from your GLO on eBay, and you would like to have it, you wouldn't be too fond of me bidding on it.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Talking

Well, I'll buy the Pi Phi and AOPi stuff you see!
Old 05-24-2001, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

In my opinion, there should be some way the orgs can sue... I mean the badge/pin is the property of the organization.