1 members and 941 guests
Low D Flat

Old 02-16-2004, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RBL
Voting Status in NC

Brothers and GCers:

Please be sure to check out http://www.sboe.state.nc.us

Be sure to check your voting status. Use the site to see important registration deadlines and other important voting information.

For other states be sure to check with your State Board of Elections.

**Special note** As we are educationg our communities please be sure to educate them on the rights that former felons and misdemeanants have as it pertains to voting

Old 02-16-2004, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Frat,

I'm glad that you posted this info. I'm in the process of planning the Get Out the Vote for Raleigh NAACP. I hope all will understand the importance of exercising his or her voting right - especially if one is going to complain about actions at local state and national levels.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RBL
Voting Update- Misdemeanor and Felon Rights

In North Carolina, being convicted of committing a misdemeanor does NOT mean that you lose your right to vote. You can even vote while serving your sentence
1. Register to vote. Complete the registration form. It must be received 25 days before the election

When a person is convicted of a felony in North Carolina, they lose their citizenship rights, including the right to vote. However, these rights are AUTOMATICALLY restored when the person convicted of a felony completes his or her sentence(including parole), is unconditionally pardoned, or completes the conditions of a conditional pardon. If you have completed your sentence for a felony conviction or have been pardoned, you ARE ELIGIBLE to vote in North Carolina
1. Register to Vote- former convicted felons MUST register to vote even if you were registered before your conviction .
The form must still be sent to the Board of Elections 25 days before the election.

**Also be sure to inquire with the county board of elections as to the exact location where YOU should vote**

This info is just for NC but please inquire on felony/misdemeanor rights in your state. This is to assist as we are registering our people to vote. In my town most people who have served time were unaware that they still had a right to vote...so I know the same likely exists in your town also. Pass it along