Welcome to our newest member, lopezsae
» Online Users: 1,492
1 members and 1,491 guests
JerricaB

Old 04-06-2014, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Creative Candle Passing

Greetings friends,

I happily got engaged on Friday night My long time boyfriend has a flair for the romantic and proposed to me in front of everyone at our Mr. Idaho philanthropy event while he was competing. It was wonderful and if you'd like to see it here's a link to the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwI-...TtiSfu2eARezCA

but I do have a small dilemma. My sisters are demanding that I still have a candle passing ceremony even though the vast majority of them were there. While we were all surprised, I also want my candle pass to be special, unique and a bit of a surprise.

Usually our candle passes are announced that same day then we have our ceremony (a bouquet of flowers goes around and quotes are read, the candle goes around once for everyone to look at the ring, finally the candle goes around again to get blown out for the reveal, then we all pile on the couch for the proposal story and 10 reasons why she wants to marry him).

Since everyone already knows that it is me who got engaged and how, I was hoping for something a little different but still ceremonious and special.

Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie58agd View Post
Greetings friends,

I happily got engaged on Friday night My long time boyfriend has a flair for the romantic and proposed to me in front of everyone at our Mr. Idaho philanthropy event while he was competing. It was wonderful and if you'd like to see it here's a link to the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwI-...TtiSfu2eARezCA

but I do have a small dilemma. My sisters are demanding that I still have a candle passing ceremony even though the vast majority of them were there. While we were all surprised, I also want my candle pass to be special, unique and a bit of a surprise.

Usually our candle passes are announced that same day then we have our ceremony (a bouquet of flowers goes around and quotes are read, the candle goes around once for everyone to look at the ring, finally the candle goes around again to get blown out for the reveal, then we all pile on the couch for the proposal story and 10 reasons why she wants to marry him).

Since everyone already knows that it is me who got engaged and how, I was hoping for something a little different but still ceremonious and special.

Any ideas?
I don't have any ideas for you because my chapter's candle passes are a lot simpler than yours, but I did want to say that that was such a sweet proposal! Having it be in front of your sisters is extra special as well
Old 04-06-2014, 09:49 PM

So what if everyone knows you got engaged. A candle pass is fun!

Funny story about my own candle passing for my engagement: The passing started with me - and, of course, ended with me. My sisters were very confused as to whether I was engaged or pregnant.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

What a sweet video Did he win Mr. Idaho???

Maybe you could just wait a little bit to do it so they don't realize it is your candle passing?
Old 04-06-2014, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
What a sweet video Did he win Mr. Idaho???

Maybe you could just wait a little bit to do it so they don't realize it is your candle passing?
Yes he did win Mr. Idaho (hands down according to some of the judges) as well as the title of Mr. Philanthropy which means he was the candidate that raised the most money through the coin drive that night. I'm very proud of him
Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
So what if everyone knows you got engaged. A candle pass is fun!
They are very fun, but I was mostly just looking for something that made it a little different. The most entertaining part about ours is the surprise of it and since everyone is already in the loop, I'm hoping to do a unique sisterhood tribute.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Uh, I don't think you should be planning your own candle pass. I mean, if a regular candle pass normally includes the engagement story, and yours is already known, maybe at that point you could say something about your sisters and sisterhood, but planning something special for yourself could really come off the wrong way.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread except for GO VANDALS!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

First of all, best wishes!

I'm all about tradition, so I don't see the need to do something different. But it's your candlepass, so enjoy! You'll regret not having done it, if you don't have it!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

So just as an update: I wasn't entirely planning the candlepass for myself. The way it works in my chapter is that you have a sister plan it according to your specifications with certain songs and/or quotes. Lots of my sisters weren't sure I would even have a candlepass at all.

What I ended up doing was very meaningful and fun. Instead of choosing the quotes to be read, I had my "planner" notify certain sisters that they would be reading and then they chose their own special quotes or memories to share.

Now I have the quotes (lots with notes to my fiance and me) to save and cherish that were chosen by my sisters.

Thanks for all the input and words of encouragement.