GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,498
2 members and 1,496 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Texas Sigma Phi Epsilon Law Suit

University of Texas women here have been accused of being big meanies because we advise incoming freshman women to not attend fraternity parties during Roundup and orientation. This unfortunate incident may serve as an example that this advice goes way beyond the possibility of making a bad impression and earning a reputation that will be carried into recruitment.

Quote:
Woman Says Frat Party Entices Predators
A college freshman claims in court that she was kidnapped and sexually assaulted after being served a "trash can punch" laced with Everclear alcohol at a frat house party at the University of Texas at Austin.

M.J. sued the Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity, its Texas Alpha Chapter and The University Of Texas Sig Ep Foundation, in Travis County Court. UTexas-Austin is not a party to the complaint.
http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/07/18/48479.htm

Ladies, this can happen at any kind of party at any kind of school. Please be careful.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it is asinine to advise women to avoid the company of a group of men for a particular party or a particular period of time. Your message should be more general...If a group of men are willing to promote especially debaucherous behavior or an unsafe environment in any instance, you should communicate that to the men directly as the reason for you avising women to avoid them altogether. By your half-ass measure, you are tacitly reinforcing their behavior by rewarding with your company outside of those parties during "Roundup and orientation." Be better.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
I think it is asinine to advise women to avoid the company of a group of men for a particular party or a particular period of time. Your message should be more general...If a group of men are willing to promote especially debaucherous behavior or an unsafe environment in any instance, you should communicate that to the men directly as the reason for you avising women to avoid them altogether. By your half-ass measure, you are tacitly reinforcing their behavior by rewarding with your company outside of those parties during "Roundup and orientation." Be better.
Haha you registered just to write that?

Oh please kind sirs, I'm sure it's never been your intention to provide excessive amounts of alcohol to underage women who are away from home for the first time and may not have the most keenly developed common sense. Could you please suspend this unintended debaucherous behavior? Thx. Bye.