GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,161
Threads: 115,587
Welcome to our newest member, BillWitt27
» Online Users: 1,222
4 members and 1,218 guests
BillWitt27, Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Dating/trusting a frat boy?

A month ago, I met this boy in a fraternity that my sorority worked with during Homecoming and we got to know each other. I've heard from my sisters that he liked me. He's always been shy around me. Yesterday, I met up with him at the library and we headed over to his fraternity's house and we went to his room and I initially sat on the sofa instead of his bed where he sat down. Eventually I got up to look around his room and then sat down next to him. We talked for a good 15 minutes. Throughout that, he laid down on his bed and I was still sitting and it felt awkward so I propped my arm and leaned back. Eventually my arm gave out and I laid down next to him. And he put his around me and I turned to face him and he pulled me in closer and eventually we kissed...yeah! But we just kissed, that was it, NOTHING MORE! And of course his brothers thought otherwise when we walked of his room. And I have always put school first, so he is kind of like the first relationship I've had in a while (since high school and I'm a sophomore in college.) He never really officially asked me out or asked me to be his girlfriend so we're technically not dating. His fraternity is having a holiday party at their house but I'm flying home that weekend, so I can't go. Just being me, I'm having these insecurities because looking at the list of who's going, a good chunk are girls from different sororities or GDIs and a good portion are sisters which is good. I guess what I'm trying to say is, people who are greek, how do you deal with trusting someone to be "good" at parties. I mean we're dating and if he does hook up with a girl, it'd technically would be fine since we're not official...I feel really childish asking this but it has been eating up for a bit.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelovegreek View Post
A month ago, I met this boy in a fraternity that my sorority worked with during Homecoming and we got to know each other. I've heard from my sisters that he liked me. He's always been shy around me. Yesterday, I met up with him at the library and we headed over to his fraternity's house and we went to his room and I initially sat on the sofa instead of his bed where he sat down. Eventually I got up to look around his room and then sat down next to him. We talked for a good 15 minutes. Throughout that, he laid down on his bed and I was still sitting and it felt awkward so I propped my arm and leaned back. Eventually my arm gave out and I laid down next to him. And he put his around me and I turned to face him and he pulled me in closer and eventually we kissed...yeah! But we just kissed, that was it, NOTHING MORE! And of course his brothers thought otherwise when we walked of his room. And I have always put school first, so he is kind of like the first relationship I've had in a while (since high school and I'm a sophomore in college.) He never really officially asked me out or asked me to be his girlfriend so we're technically not dating. His fraternity is having a holiday party at their house but I'm flying home that weekend, so I can't go. Just being me, I'm having these insecurities because looking at the list of who's going, a good chunk are girls from different sororities or GDIs and a good portion are sisters which is good. I guess what I'm trying to say is, people who are greek, how do you deal with trusting someone to be "good" at parties. I mean we're dating and if he does hook up with a girl, it'd technically would be fine since we're not official...I feel really childish asking this but it has been eating up for a bit.
#1. This is a hard lesson but never go up to a fraternity man's room unless you want people to think what they're now thinking about you.

#2. You're not "dating." You should have no expectations of his behavior at this party or any other time.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
#1. This is a hard lesson but never go up to a fraternity man's room unless you want people to think what they're now thinking about you.

#2. You're not "dating." You should have no expectations of his behavior at this party or any other time.
Oh jeez, I'm so far from "that girl." I do not sleep around, I barely drink, and it really kinda kills me inside that people are possibly thinking this...And I was wearing letters at the time -_______- FML
Old 11-23-2011, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Only way to trust him is to be dating him. Even then you probably want to ask around about him and how his at parties.

From experience every guy has a mo when he is partying. If you really don't trust him get some sisters to scope him out...
Old 11-23-2011, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I can still back out of this, right? I mean, I've just seen one side of him. The nice, shy, sweet guy. I haven't seen him at a party or at least drunk. But even before yesterday, like during Homecoming, a lot girls would jump up and hug him. It just sucks have insecurities of a guy you're not technically dating. And am I total failure for going into his room with letters? I'm pretty sure he had an ulterior motive to do more than just kiss yesterday...
Old 11-23-2011, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
. . . .He never really officially asked me out or asked me to be his girlfriend so we're technically not dating. . . . I mean we're dating and if he does hook up with a girl, it'd technically would be fine since we're not official...
You're not dating. You're not anywhere near dating. You're not in the same county as dating.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh jeez, I'm so far from "that girl." I do not sleep around, I barely drink, and it really kinda kills me inside that people are possibly thinking this...And I was wearing letters at the time -_______- FML
It doesn't matter if you're not that girl. Perception is reality and you gave people something to talk about. Like I said, hard lesson to learn.

Shy or not, this guy took you up to his room thinking he'd have some kind of chance with you at something. He didn't even take you out for as much as a happy meal beforehand. So not dating.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there really a possibility that his brothers and him talked about what happened?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I'd have to agree with some of the others, it doesn't seem like it's officially a relationship.

With regards to being confident in how he conducts himself at parties, it all comes down to trust, especially if/when you two are officially dating. My girlfriend and I are both Freshman at Auburn, we've been dating for almost 2 months. Her sorority and my fraternity have both had swaps/date-nights/functions with organizations other than our own, and I completely trust her when she has a date to her sorority's function (when they have swap with a different Fraternity) and vice-versa. It all comes down to trust.

I'm no Dr. Phil, but if you're confused in any way, try talking to him about it. Also, do you like him? If so, have you considered asking him out/to be your boyfriend, or are you more old-fashioned?

Best of luck!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle93 View Post
Yeah, I'd have to agree with some of the others, it doesn't seem like it's officially a relationship.

With regards to being confident in how he conducts himself at parties, it all comes down to trust, especially if/when you two are officially dating. My girlfriend and I are both Freshman at Auburn, we've been dating for almost 2 months. Her sorority and my fraternity have both had swaps/date-nights/functions with organizations other than our own, and I completely trust her when she has a date to her sorority's function (when they have swap with a different Fraternity) and vice-versa. It all comes down to trust.

I'm no Dr. Phil, but if you're confused in any way, try talking to him about it. Also, do you like him? If so, have you considered asking him out/to be your boyfriend, or are you more old-fashioned?

Best of luck!
I'm more old-fashioned, like I wait and reading the replies of what people have said, it makes me look back on my behavior and judgement of the situation. What I thought was potentially something was probably just something disguised. I feel like an idiot for even letting myself go down that road. I know I told myself the first day I moved into my dorm that I would never date a frat boy. I feel really ashamed I let myself down. What I thought could be this different guy in fraternity who actually cared, really ended up matching the stereotype that he just wanted me to get in bed with him.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post

#1. This is such a double standard and ridiculous in this day and age. Boys (and girls for that matter) are always going to lie, even if no one's room was involved in the least. I doubt that anyone is "thinking" about her at all...unless it's as...

#2. "OMG, all they did was suck face and now she thinks she's his girlfriend or something. Stalker alert!"

OP - some guys are the guy that every girl loves and who flirt with everyone. They are also usually the guys who when they DO fall, they fall hard. The closest way to completely ruin your chances with this man is by being paranoid. MC is right, you are NOWHERE NEAR dating. You sucked face. That was it. If you get all stalkery and paranoid, people ARE going to think you slept with him. Tell him to have fun at the party, and see where it goes when you both get back to school.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm more old-fashioned, like I wait and reading the replies of what people have said, it makes me look back on my behavior and judgement of the situation. What I thought was potentially something was probably just something disguised. I feel like an idiot for even letting myself go down that road. I know I told myself the first day I moved into my dorm that I would never date a frat boy. I feel really ashamed I let myself down. What I thought could be this different guy in fraternity who actually cared, really ended up matching the stereotype that he just wanted me to get in bed with him.
You're not an idiot, don't beat yourself up! I'll bet your a really sweet girl, sounds like it's really his loss if he wanted something different. Not all "frat boys" live up to the stereotype of what movies/tv shows such as Glory Daze and Animal House (although, I must admit, there are quite a few I've met...including some in my own Fraternity haha).

I know it's said all the time, but there are plenty of fish in the sea. Everything happens for a reason.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
#1. This is such a double standard and ridiculous in this day and age. Boys (and girls for that matter) are always going to lie, even if no one's room was involved in the least. I doubt that anyone is "thinking" about her at all...unless it's as...

#2. "OMG, all they did was suck face and now she thinks she's his girlfriend or something. Stalker alert!"

OP - some guys are the guy that every girl loves and who flirt with everyone. They are also usually the guys who when they DO fall, they fall hard. The closest way to completely ruin your chances with this man is by being paranoid. MC is right, you are NOWHERE NEAR dating. You sucked face. That was it. If you get all stalkery and paranoid, people ARE going to think you slept with him. Tell him to have fun at the party, and see where it goes when you both get back to school.
OMG by no means did I intend to be crazy person, although it seems evident. But he walked me back to the library and did mention "I guess we're dating now" but it seemed sarcastic in my view
Old 11-24-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
You're not an idiot, don't beat yourself up! I'll bet your a really sweet girl, sounds like it's really his loss if he wanted something different. Not all "frat boys" live up to the stereotype of what movies/tv shows such as Glory Daze and Animal House (although, I must admit, there are quite a few I've met...including some in my own Fraternity haha).

I know it's said all the time, but there are plenty of fish in the sea. Everything happens for a reason.
Have we ascertained that this guy is never going to call her again because he didn't get to seal the deal? It seems like everyone's painting him to be a dick and I missed the part where she said he never talks to her any more because she sucked face with him.

Although WTF at walking you back to the library (unless there's a bus stop there or something).
Old 11-24-2011, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Well thank you! I just don't get it anymore. A lot of the sisters in my sorority said he's really sweet and nice, but I just don't know where to go from there. I think it's best if I just let it go...I think?