GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

» GC Stats
Members: 326,154
Threads: 115,580
Welcome to our newest member, lauren_ash0
» Online Users: 1,606
2 members and 1,604 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Woman sues Cell company....is this a case

A Toronto woman says the billing practices of Rogers Wireless Inc. led to her husband discovering her extramarital affair.
Now the woman, whose husband walked out, is suing the communications giant for $600,000 for alleged invasion of privacy and breach of contract, the results of which she says have ruined her life.
In 2007, Gabriella Nagy had a cellphone account with Rogers which sent the monthly bill to her home address in her maiden name. Her husband was the account holder for the family's cable TV service at the same address. Around June 4, 2007, he called Rogers to add internet and home phone.
The following month, Rogers mailed a “global” invoice for all of its services to the matrimonial home that included an itemized bill for Nagy's cellular service, according to the statement of claim filed in Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
When Nagy’s husband opened the Rogers invoice, he saw several hour-long phone calls to a single phone number.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Doubtful, but it's Canada, so I couldn't tell you.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-19-2010, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I've got two things to say about this:

1. I don't know anything about this company, but if she had her own cell account with her own account number and did not have her husband's name on the account at all, I don't see how it would have gotten connected with the internet/phone package deal. Somehow, her husband was already an authorized person on her account or somehow he had access to her account information in order to bundle it. (It's possible that the company made a mistake and didn't verify their stuff).

2. I hope a judge looks at her and says "You should have kept your marriage commitment. This was your choice, not the cell company's. Take responsibility for your actions. Dismissed." Seriously...I understand that the law and judges need to simply handle the facts in front of them, but the fact is that if she wasn't cheating, this lawsuit wouldn't be happening. So, she's responsible for her husband finding out. Judges need to be able to tell people to grow up and take more responsibility.

(I know nothing about the law in Canada.)

/soapbox
Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
. . . it's Canada, so I couldn't tell you.
This.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, who knows. Those Canadians and their Lacrosse.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Blame Canada

and to the OP'er...before the mods get ahold of you, make sure when you post news items, you also post the link....C.Y.A. and keeps GC from being sued for copyright infringement.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychTau View Post
1. I don't know anything about this company, but if she had her own cell account with her own account number and did not have her husband's name on the account at all, I don't see how it would have gotten connected with the internet/phone package deal. Somehow, her husband was already an authorized person on her account or somehow he had access to her account information in order to bundle it. (It's possible that the company made a mistake and didn't verify their stuff).
Pretty much.

When I worked for a bank, we had a lot of stuff like this going on (spouses with separate accounts that had other peoples' names on them). If the account was in just her name, it wouldn't have even shown up under her husband's profile (which would be the profile we'd pull up if he called). The only way that a "package deal" could be produced would be if both parties are listed as authorized users on both accounts.

I find it hard to believe that a cable company wouldn't follow similar guidelines. I'm guessing he was listed as an authorized user with access to her phone line.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Pretty much.

When I worked for a bank, we had a lot of stuff like this going on (spouses with separate accounts that had other peoples' names on them). If the account was in just her name, it wouldn't have even shown up under her husband's profile (which would be the profile we'd pull up if he called). The only way that a "package deal" could be produced would be if both parties are listed as authorized users on both accounts.

I find it hard to believe that a cable company wouldn't follow similar guidelines. I'm guessing he was listed as an authorized user with access to her phone line.
Possible they grouped them in their system as the same household even though they were different accounts?
Old 05-19-2010, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
Yeah, who knows. Those Canadians and their Lacrosse.
as a Canadian, I think it's a little more appropriate to say "and their hockey" - seems everyone's forgotten about the olympics already.

as for the OP, I would assume the case would be thrown out if it is found that her husband's name was on the account as well.
and I'm sure the states has just as many crazy legal stories as we do.

Αγάπη, Πίστη, Φιλία
http://www.alphapiphi.com/
Old 05-19-2010, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplePiePhi View Post
and I'm sure the states has just as many crazy legal stories as we do.
Without a doubt. At least on my part, the "it's Canada" response was more to the fact that it's a legal system that can differ in enough ways from ours that we really wouldn't know what we're talking about.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Possible they grouped them in their system as the same household even though they were different accounts?
Could be.

When I worked at the bank, though, that didn't matter. There could be 3 adults in the same household with identical addresses/phones, but if the account titles (names) didn't match, they would show up separately.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Could be.

When I worked at the bank, though, that didn't matter. There could be 3 adults in the same household with identical addresses/phones, but if the account titles (names) didn't match, they would show up separately.
Yeah I'm trying to remember how it was set up at the bank I worked at, but I can't recall.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychTau View Post
I've done it with our phone account that was in my wife's name. As long as I had her name and the last four digits of her SSN, there wasn't a question about it.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I've done it with our phone account that was in my wife's name. As long as I had her name and the last four digits of her SSN, there wasn't a question about it.
If this is common practice for these companies, something needs to change. That's just asking for trouble.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

LMAO

i saw an episode on operation repo where the husband found out about his cheating wife. apparently she was driving around a car that the other dude bought here, but wasn't paying the bills on.