GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,144
Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,379
0 members and 1,379 guests
No Members online

Old 01-11-2005, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kandy36
Lightbulb going to miami...

hey guys,
me and one of my sisters are going to miami this weekend (jan 15-18) and we've never been there before. were staying in south beach and we wanted to know if any of you guys know of any hot spots to go to because we know miami is a hott city hehe. if you can help thatll be awesome. thanks
Old 01-11-2005, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

hey, i live there... dunno what you're looking for, if you're staying on South Beach there are plenty of clubs... there's also Coconut Grove, a lot of people go there to Tavern and Sandbar... there's also a Fat Tuesdays and Wet Willie's there, and a lot of really good restaurants. There are a few clubs there too, but stay away from Life (or whatever it's called now, the name changes every few months it seems... it's really shady, I've heard of a lot of people getting mugged near there). Then there's Bayside, there are a lot of really cool shops there. I don't like South Beach itself, Crandon Park (which is just east of the very end of I-95, through the toll booths) is a MUCH nicer beach, and it's not as busy. Just be careful when you stay on South Beach, if your hotel is there. One of my friends stayed there, in a really nice hotel, and their room got broken into and they were robbed.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

bhienvenidos a miami

Ok, I couldn't resist the Will Smith. ;-)

I've been to a few places in Miami, my favorite of which was the lobby of a really cool hotel. I unfortunately have forgotten the name, but perhaps someone can help me out. The hotel's next to the beach, and has this incredible lobby that is a cross between the great gatsby and alice in wonderland. You go past the big couches and flowing white drapes into a restaurant and then a big staircase goes down into the gardens and pool. If I remember correctly, there are sculptures in the pool and little cabanas you can sit in on the side. Lots of fun, and totally beautiful. Does anyone know what this place is called?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: bhienvenidos a miami

Quote:
Originally posted by XOMichelle
I've been to a few places in Miami, my favorite of which was the lobby of a really cool hotel. I unfortunately have forgotten the name, but perhaps someone can help me out. The hotel's next to the beach, and has this incredible lobby that is a cross between the great gatsby and alice in wonderland. You go past the big couches and flowing white drapes into a restaurant and then a big staircase goes down into the gardens and pool. If I remember correctly, there are sculptures in the pool and little cabanas you can sit in on the side. Lots of fun, and totally beautiful. Does anyone know what this place is called?
That's the Delano Hotel Ricky Martin shot one of his videos there.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

south beach is always poppin, coconut grove once you drive past beirut on grand ave. is cool (coco walk), las olas i heard isn't to bad.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Grew up in North Miami (aka 'Port-au-Prince du Nord' because the population is mostly Haitian immigrants ). Lots of places to see and things to do in Miami, if you plan it out ahead of time.

You gotta at least try Cuban food: a sandwich cubano or a media noche. (Roast pork seasoned with tropical spices, ham, Swiss cheese, pickle slices and maybe a little mustard, then heated on a grill press. Both sandwiches are identical except for the bread: the media noche is served on a sweeter, softer roll, while the regular sandwich is on French bread.) Ropa vieja - shredded flank steak- and moros y cristianos - black beans and rice - are among other Cuban delicacies.

In certain areas of Miami you'll be hard-pressed to hear English spoken.

Ocean Drive (the main drive of South Beach is ALWAYS clogged with traffic, especially at night.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 01-11-2005, 11:22 PM

I grew up in South Florida so I know a lot of the good places to go in the Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, and West Palm Beach areas. I can't think of anything else to add for what you should do while in Miami besides maybe taking a day cruise if you have the time.

Like AlphaSigOU said, Spanish is the main language there. Miami is almost like a different country in itself!

South Beach is pretty expensive as far as nightlife goes. It's costs a lot to get into the clubs and the drinks are pricey. Coconut Grove is much more inexpensive. You could travel a few miles north to Ft. Lauderdale and go to Riverfront (downtown Ft. Lauderdale). There's lots of good bars there and most won't charge a cover fee. West Palm Beach is a pretty far drive from Miami (over an hour) but Clematis Street is a lot of fun.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MoonStar17
Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
Grew up in North Miami (aka 'Port-au-Prince du Nord' because the population is mostly Haitian immigrants ). Lots of places to see and things to do in Miami, if you plan it out ahead of time.

You gotta at least try Cuban food: a sandwich cubano or a media noche. (Roast pork seasoned with tropical spices, ham, Swiss cheese, pickle slices and maybe a little mustard, then heated on a grill press. Both sandwiches are identical except for the bread: the media noche is served on a sweeter, softer roll, while the regular sandwich is on French bread.) Ropa vieja - shredded flank steak- and moros y cristianos - black beans and rice - are among other Cuban delicacies.

In certain areas of Miami you'll be hard-pressed to hear English spoken.

Ocean Drive (the main drive of South Beach is ALWAYS clogged with traffic, especially at night.
you sir are making me VERY hungry!!! I am thinking of going to the cuban cafeteria for lunch now

BACK on topic

I live in Miami...and there are a TON of things to do..

the ringling brothers circus is in town..tickets are usually about 30-40 for "VIP" seats...its ALOT of fun and a great thing to do
it is at the american airlines arena.. which is RIGHT within walking distance to bayside which has great shops (as mentioned above)
check online at ringling brothers to find out more..but it is "the greatest show on earth"

ALSO if you are into museums.. check out Viscaya in coral gables..its a HUGE mansion owned by the deering family a long time ago, it is very "renisance" and has the most beautiful gardens.. and is right on the ocean...this trip makes for the BEST pictures and for a great afternoon just walking around.. i HIGHLY recommend it..its one of my FAVorite places..

right near Viscaya is the miami science museum which puts on laser shows every weekend for like 8 dollars.. they play music for and put on a great laser show.....

if you plan on staying the day in south beach.. Lincon road is great..its a LONNNG strip of shops, cafes, and little art museums.. there is a movie theater and lots of thigns to see.. i think they still have street performers in the early evening too.. great fun

I agree with Layla that crandon park is a nicer beach..but if you drive farther down that same road to the cape florida park its amazing.. there is the oldest lighthouse in florida as well as many hiking trails, bike paths, beaches, and piers for fishing...

as far as bars....stay away from the "dirty" loooking clubs in south beach..they are only trouble.. the names in those areas change so frequently that i have no idea what they are called anymore..

when i go out i usually head to coconut grove..my favorite by far..and head to sandbar, mr.moes, or fat tuesdays, wet willies is good too...and there is the improv comedy club that has great night shows....

there is great food everywhere but try a little of something new, its all good..

i seriously could go on forever and write a book...so if you want more info PM me I have lived here all my life and have done most everything in Miami a million times...

I hope this was of help.. have a GREAT vacation..the weather is supposed to be GREAT!!! 70 degrees and breezy..no humidity yet..
PM me if anything

ETA: BE CAREFUL... the places that look "shady" usually are, use common sense..in a bar especially have fun but dont get anihilated to the point where you dont know whats going on...

ALSO on the "spanish only" thing.. its not true in the touristy areas...those places are usually mostly english..i have lived here ALLLLLL MY LIFE...and i DONT speak spanish AND i come from a HISPANIC family (im puerto rican)
anyways the places that are "mostly spanish" will not be in the areas that you will most likely visit as a tourist.. if you venture to the more community areas is where you will experience it more...,such as in sweetwater or south miami near kendall.. and hialeah...

anyways again good luck.. and dont worry its not a foreign country..its just "colorful"

Last edited by MoonStar17; 01-12-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:07 AM
GreekChat Member

thank you all for your advice and suggestions!! seriously you guys are gonna help me and my friend out soo much. im soo excited to go somewhere where im actually not the minority anymore hehe. thanks guys and when i get back from miami, ill tell you guys how it went
Old 01-15-2005, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

(I might be too late, but as a native Miamian who happens to be visiting...)

If you're staying on South Beach, I wouldn't bother driving over to the mainland. Lots to see..and if the sun comes out at all this weekend, enjoy itas much as you can.

Plenty going on in South Beach this weekend - it's Art Deco Weekend.

Have fun!
Old 01-25-2005, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you guys sooo much for helping me figure out what to do on the weekend. south beach was amazing, i had the time of my life. i did have some cuban food and it reminded me of my gparents food hehe. the food down there was amazing and the people were so nice. i fell in love with the culture there bc im puerto rican and i love the fact that i can walk around and here salsa music playing everywhere hehe.

i didnt go to any clubs but i def. went to a few bars. i really dont remember which ones bc the drinks were so strong that i just forgot hehe. but im def in love hehe
Old 01-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kdonline
(I might be too late, but as a native Miamian who happens to be visiting...)

If you're staying on South Beach, I wouldn't bother driving over to the mainland. Lots to see..and if the sun comes out at all this weekend, enjoy itas much as you can.

Plenty going on in South Beach this weekend - it's Art Deco Weekend.

Have fun!
I was going to come for that but I'm not going to leave Chicago, where it's cold, to go to Florida, where it's cold. Any of you guys know when it's gonna warm up so I can get the heck out of here?

-Rudey
Old 01-25-2005, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
I was going to come for that but I'm not going to leave Chicago, where it's cold, to go to Florida, where it's cold. Any of you guys know when it's gonna warm up so I can get the heck out of here?

-Rudey
If you don't want to risk having a cold front come through Florida, I'd say wait until the beginning of March. February has the occasional cold fronts (although not as bad as what we've seen this month) and they're usually gone by March.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MoonStar17
Quote:
Originally posted by kandy36
thank you guys sooo much for helping me figure out what to do on the weekend. south beach was amazing, i had the time of my life. i did have some cuban food and it reminded me of my gparents food hehe. the food down there was amazing and the people were so nice. i fell in love with the culture there bc im puerto rican and i love the fact that i can walk around and here salsa music playing everywhere hehe.

i didnt go to any clubs but i def. went to a few bars. i really dont remember which ones bc the drinks were so strong that i just forgot hehe. but im def in love hehe
I am glad you had a great time!!! I dont remember you mentioning you were Puerto Rican! I am too... i would have reccomended the best place for some GREAT food.. the cuban food is similar...but to me its just not the same..

either way glad you had fun! its been great down here lately.. i wish i had time to enjoy my own city... but im stuck in work and class most of the time..

come back soon!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

*bump*

Does anybody have any good hotel recommendations for the South Beach area -- something not too expensive but not gross and shady (and preferably not a chain)?