Threads: 115,588
Welcome to our newest member, Toeshoes
» Online Users: 1,254
1 members and 1,253 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 12-10-2010, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

starting new fraternity

hey, thinking of possibly starting a new fraternity and I'm not sure where to begin. If anyone has any advice on what to do, it would be helpful.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Read through the forums. There's a sticky titled "Before Founding A New Sorority," but a lot of the information applies to fraternities as well.

What is wrong with the existing organizations on your campus?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Nothing wrong w/ existing organizations, just rather have the satisfaction of knowing that I started something new compared to just joining something that's been around for a while.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

So we have a case of founderitis.

What will compel aspirants to seek out your organization? What kind of networking opportunities will be available to members? How will your programming differ from that of other organizations? Basically, why should I choose your organization over an older, more established one?

These are questions that will come up. If your only answer is "I didn't want to be a member of the other GLOs," then you will fail miserably.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

if I decide to ever go through w/ it, I will definably have to think about that.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

These are things that you need to think about before deciding to go through with it, not after you've already started the process of creating a new GLO.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phi_Delta View Post
not my mindset, but...

1. The opportunity to be a founding father
Only one group will be founders. What's the appeal after that?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

LOL - you must be a founding father, no one else would think they're that important.

(Coming from someone who joined close enough to know the founding fathers, but late enough to know that every member is important to making a chapter)
Old 12-12-2010, 01:01 AM
GreekChat Member

initially was recruited to help start a chapter of a national fraternity, but shit happened and it didn't work out.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Why didn't things work out originally with the new national chapter? If I were you, I'd try to get back in contact.

Having founded a chapter myself, I have to say that having a national organization in the back is a great resource. They basically had answers to pretty everything. Of course, some of the answers translate to: "do a lot of work" or "it's tough being a founder," but they were all there.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

pretty much stuff happened, not exactly sure of the details of what exactly went on between us, the school, and nationals.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
R u even sure that your campus is open to a new fraternity? If they are, some campus would only accept national organizations. Then there is the thought of surviving on campus which host chapters that owns huge houses and have decades and centuries of history behind them.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I know they might be open to starting a new fraternity. at the same time that the fraternity I was in was going, there was another fraternity (nationally recognized) that was starting up. As far as I know of, they are doing fine and getting close to being fully recognized by the school.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

By any chance, have you talked to the Greek life office of your school? If not, I highly suggest that you do so:

- They know the specific climate on your campus and can gauge whether or not it's a good idea
- You have to go through them anyways at one point or another
- If it's a good idea, they'll provide you with several tips and even possibly connections (eg. XYZ is looking to expand but would like a group taking initiative first)
Old 01-11-2011, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm in AEPi at Cal-State University Northridge. On our campus, we have AEPi, Sigma Chi, Sigma Nu, SigEp, SAE, Kappa Sig, PiKap, Pikes, Lambda Chi, Tekes, and ZBT. The top houses here are Sigma Chi, AEPi, SigEp.

Now about 2 years ago, SigEp had a internal issue and the house literally split in half. Half stayed and half left. The half that left started a new fraternity; Tau Omega Rho...aka TOP. They are not IFC, they don't have IFC/FIPG rules to follow, their dues are only $200/brother a semester (we don't go by quarters), they're allowed to play in IFC IMs, their recruitment results are ridiculously good, they have two houses next door to each other, they donate to philanthropy, have meetings, ritual, etc...and they are loved by the two biggest sororities on campus. These guys did work. They suck at volleyball IMs cuz AEPi & Sigma Chi dominate that shit, but they win at every other sport. They don't have national dues/insurance/school fees...so they literally spend all of their dues on social events. These guys are successful as fuck. And all of their exec-board members have hook ups and connections like crazy. We're doing a double-date party with them soon and it's gonna be insane. They add to the best fraternity list so it goes: Sigma Chi, AEPi, TOP, SigEp. What a way to say "fuck you" to their original fraternity...