GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,186
Threads: 115,581
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,612
1 members and 1,611 guests
No Members online

Old 05-13-2008, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Man jailed when daughter fails to get diploma

CINCINNATI (AP) - A man ordered by a judge to make sure his daughter hit the books has found himself in jail because she failed to earn a high school equivalency diploma.

Brian Gegner, of Fairfield, was sentenced last week to 180 days in jail for contributing to the unruliness or delinquency of a minor.

He was ordered months ago to make sure his 18-year-old daughter Brittany Gegner, who has a history of truancy, received her GED - something that hasn't happened yet.

Brittany Gegner, who said Monday that she plans to take a required GED test this month, said her father shouldn't be blamed for her failure because she has been living with her mother.

"It was my wrongdoing, not his," said Brittany Gegner, whose fiance and 18-month-old daughter also live at her mother's home in nearby Hamilton. "He shouldn't have to go to jail for something I did."

Her mother agrees.

"Brittany is almost 19 years old now and I think it's unfair to put her father in jail," said Shana Roach. "She's an adult now, and it's not right to rip an innocent man from his home."

Butler County Juvenile Court administrator Rob Clevenger Jr. said Monday that the court still has jurisdiction in the case because Brittany Gegner was a juvenile when the truancy problems began and when the charge against Brian Gegner was filed in 2007.

A hearing on a motion filed by Brian Gegner's attorney to reconsider the sentence is scheduled for Friday. Messages seeking comment were not returned Monday at the offices of defense attorney Tamara Sack and the Butler County prosecutor.

http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pn...+ne+topnews&ck
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 05-13-2008, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry but I think this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. She's not even a minor. This girl has a kid of her own for goodness sake.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

yes, its a little ridiculous. but hmm, maybe parents should be held responsible if their kids dont graduate.

(let me think on this big claim ive made)
Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Not that I agree that this grown a$$ man should go to jail because his grown a$$ daughter didn't get her GED but.......if the daddy is in jail....why is the mamma not in jail too ???? Its just a question....
Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe daughter should consider earning her GED as a nice Father's Day gift to spring her old man from jail
Old 05-13-2008, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

So now if you hate your parents, you can get them sent to jail just by skipping school? Nice ...
Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Butler County Juvenile Court administrator Rob Clevenger Jr. said Monday that the court still has jurisdiction in the case...
How do you spell, "Hi, I'm on a power trip..."

This is silly.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

They were talking about this on the radio this morning. I think it's ridiculous. Isn't there overcrowding in our penal system? Aren't there any REAL criminals they can go out and get?

ETA: Some of the laws regarding adolescents are ridiculous. My friend is dealing with a rebellious 17 year old daughter. She tried to ground the daughter and not let her go spend the night at a friend's house. The daughter called the police who informed my friend that, although she cannot kick her 17 year old out of the house, she also cannot prevent her from leaving if she wants to! So now, every time the mom tries to set a limit, the kid leaves for a few days and there is NOTHING my friend can do about it. So, the cops gave the kid license to do whatever she wants.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^WTH?? If I pay rent and she doesn't, the whoever comes and goes is my decision. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelandelf View Post
Maybe daughter should consider earning her GED as a nice Father's Day gift to spring her old man from jail
STOP IT.

Where were these people when my dad threw a hissy fit and wouldn't take me to school? I got 8 hours of detention for not being in class. Now, this kid is ditching and her father goes to jail. Schools are effed up on all sides. *SMH*

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 05-14-2008, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
So now, every time the mom tries to set a limit, the kid leaves for a few days and there is NOTHING my friend can do about it. So, the cops gave the kid license to do whatever she wants.
This is when your friend has to practice tough love with her daughter. I know she doesn't want her in danger, but maybe she should let her leave and see how far she gets on her own...

As far as the guy getting thrown in jail, I understand the purpose because I teach, but this is a little extreme. There are parents who deliberately allow their children to stay at home everyday and not go to school, BUT normally the drop out age is 16/17!

ΚΔΠ Education Honor Society
Old 05-14-2008, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
AGDee: Did this rebelliousness just start? I say if she leaves, let her azz stay out there. If you are grown enough to leave, you are grown enough to stay out of MY house.

And why did the court not revisit the case the month the girl turned 18?
Old 05-14-2008, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, the rebelliousness just started. It's the typical teen/parent power struggle but the kid is leaving and staying at a friend's until she feels like going home again and then she goes home again. The friend's mother has been making it easy on her too and my friend talked to that mom and said she needed her support on this and that she shouldn't let her daughter stay there anymore and the other mom agreed. It simply puts a parent in a very tough position. Because, then you read things like this where they are holding a parent liable for the acts of the child, but they take away the ability to enforce the rules at the same time. It's a real Catch 22.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1920 View Post
AGDee: Did this rebelliousness just start? I say if she leaves, let her azz stay out there. If you are grown enough to leave, you are grown enough to stay out of MY house.

And why did the court not revisit the case the month the girl turned 18?
rhetorical question...right?

manpower and caseloads....but the main prob is...ths has been on going since before she turned 18....
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 05-15-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
right..
and dont talk about caseloads..
When the economy slows, my caseloads increase BUT we don't get more money or people. I am expected to do more with less...
Old 05-15-2008, 07:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1920 View Post
I am expected to do more with less...
Don't feel lonesome.

That's the same with just about every business these days, too.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.