GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,200
Threads: 115,576
Welcome to our newest member, Candida
» Online Users: 1,384
3 members and 1,381 guests
John, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 08-04-2004, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting Perspective

I read this on the website of a fraternity. It was interesting to say the least of how they view Greek Life or rather, the males in our Greek system. I have X'd out the name of the group but I will say it's NOT an IFC fraternity.

From our first establishment in Long Beach, they brought together strong and independent gentlemen to challenge the notions of a contradictory Greek system that claimed progress. They saw a system that preyed on insecurities, and actually reinforced weaknesses in pledges through alcoholic dependency and humiliation.

These are not leaders. These are sheep of a system relegated to age-old traditions that cannot adapt to the current dynamics of the future generation.
XXXXXXXXX lives by principles such as character, strength, and heart.

This message caught on quickly in Long Beach to create the Distinguished Gentlemen that the community knows of XXXXXXXXXX today. In less than two years, the family grew to over one hundred brothers at Long Beach. It now exists as the largest fraternity at that school."

I am not sure about this b/c I really don't think that they are the biggest frat on campus. Maybe the biggest multi-cultural one but not the biggest one of all the frats on campus.
It's kinda insulting to refer to the gentlemen of our frats this way & it's insulting to the Greek system in general with the references to hazing.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

This wasn't even on their Long Beach chapter's website.....

There are different types of greeks. IFC wasn't for them...I don't see why they have to hate on what wasn't THEIR thing.

Last edited by DeltaSigStan; 08-04-2004 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Their whole history page is 'interesting'. Very dramatic. Maybe they could have chosen better words but aren't most organizations founded in opposition to what currently exists?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

That's definitely true.
I would think though that PNM's reading this might be turned off by the negativity in the message. Then again, I am probably wrong.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:03 AM

"Bustling backwoods" is an oxymoron, LOL.

When you know what you have is great, you don't have to build it up by tearing others down. If you're not sure...well.....
Old 08-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

It's interesting that they can have such success with this message. Honestly, if they practice what they preach, I wish them luck. There's nothing stopping other IFC groups out there from stepping up to the plate and taking a similar values-based approach.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-05-2004, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEpitome1920
Their whole history page is 'interesting'. Very dramatic. Maybe they could have chosen better words but aren't most organizations founded in opposition to what currently exists?
Excellent point. Maybe this falls under the "it's not what you say but how you say it" category. Maybe they should've been a tad more diplomatic in reporting their views of the current system as they see it. But like you said, MANY groups are founded in opposition to what is currently available.

Interesting though!