GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,153
Threads: 115,579
Welcome to our newest member, samthaswimmer
» Online Users: 1,721
1 members and 1,720 guests
John

Old 06-01-2004, 03:50 PM

Not a stealth marketing thread, honest!

Which is the best for discount airfares - travelocity or orbitz? Or should I just do as my local news reporter recommended and go directly through the airline?

I have to book a flight for convention and don't laugh at me, but this is the first time I've ever had to do that by myself (i.e. without a travel agent). The flight times are stinko enough without having to pay out the yin-yang for it.

Also, will things get cheaper as the time gets closer, or should I do it now? (This is for July 21.)
Old 06-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Banned

Re: Not a stealth marketing thread, honest!

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Which is the best for discount airfares - travelocity or orbitz? Or should I just do as my local news reporter recommended and go directly through the airline?

I have to book a flight for convention and don't laugh at me, but this is the first time I've ever had to do that by myself (i.e. without a travel agent). The flight times are stinko enough without having to pay out the yin-yang for it.

Also, will things get cheaper as the time gets closer, or should I do it now? (This is for July 21.)
I look at a bunch of websites. I start out with orbitz usually. Certain airlines aren't connected through them though. Then I check travelzoo.com for deals (last minute stuff especially). After I do all that I go to the airline and make the reservation and save the 10 bucks.

-Rudey
Old 06-01-2004, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Oy.

I think Travelocity and Orbitz are about the same. They're both less expensive than Expedia.

Things will get cheaper as July 21 draws nearer, but then it will reach the point where the fare will rise about $50 to $100/day.

Go to www.smarterliving.com. They find the lowest fares out of ALL the travel websites there are out there, which saves you a lot of time.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2004, 03:59 PM

sure....we all know you're a stealth marketer.

I've found that Orbitz and Travelocity have always been relatively the same in price.

If you're ok about not picking your flight times, I would go through Priceline. You'll get a much better deal.

Flights tend to get more expensive up to the day of the flight. Airlines price flights by the percentage an airplane is full. If you're booking a flight for August, it might only be 30% full so the airplane will charge a cheaper price for the ticket. As the airplane fills, the airline will raise the price. Supply and demand...it sucks. If the airline notices that up to a week before a flight that it still is only at 30-40%, they'll offer travel deals. If I were you, I wouldn't risk it. There's a chance the airline may not have a special promotion and you could wind up paying 2-3 times what you would've paid now.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Not a stealth marketing thread, honest!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
I look at a bunch of websites. I start out with orbitz usually. Certain airlines aren't connected through them though. Then I check travelzoo.com for deals (last minute stuff especially). After I do all that I go to the airline and make the reservation and save the 10 bucks.

Ditto. The airline almost always has the exact same flight, and that way you don't have to pay the orbitz or whatever fees.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree with most above. It's best to check two or three sites. Then, after I've found a flight, I sometimes go the the airlines own website since Orbitz and others sometimes charge a $5-$10 dollar fee. It's not much, but if you fly a lot, it can add up.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Do you have SouthWest Airline as an option? !!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe AirTran or JetBlue! They arent on these sites.

Try AOL and see what they might have!

Depends where you are coming from and where you are going!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-01-2004, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Go on the web sites and look.
I think it can change from time to time.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:18 AM

Tom, the last time I flew was on AirTran and I really liked them. They were relatively unbusy at the Pittsburgh airport, the flight personnel were very nice and it was a lot better to deal with than USAir. (Not to mention I'd rather not patronize USAir since they are being jerky and removing their hub...grrrrr) Unfortunately, from what I've seen, the only nonstops are USAir or United. I wouldn't mind a transfer if I didn't have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to get on the flight in the first place.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Not really sure, but has anyone tried that x-10 camera that lets you spy on people?

You should buy one today!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-02-2004, 01:05 AM

Don't f@#$ with my thread, birthday boy.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Not a stealth marketing thread, honest!

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY go to the airline sites directly. You can often find more flights/ times available and much lower prices. A friend just beat Travelocity's best price on a flight by $65!

And a little tip... airlines load new discounted fares every Wednesday at 1 a.m. They are often snapped up before you ever see them. Stay up late & see what you can find.

With the uncertainty of the Middle East, increasing violence, attacks on oil infrastructure, etc, the price of fuel is going no where but up. I say buy now, in case of large fare increases.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Don't f@#$ with my thread, birthday boy.

Sorry, sorry.. I was just thinking how cool it would be to be able to read Alexandra Robbins "Pledged" while I was on the plane.

What do you all think?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...53446?v=glance
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma