GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,157
Threads: 115,582
Welcome to our newest member, craig171
» Online Users: 1,360
3 members and 1,357 guests
JayhawkAOII, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 04-04-2005, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Some very specific NYC questions -

(Sure, I should have just PMed Rudey or Russ, but maybe someone else will have a clue here)

We're running a study in NYC in a couple weeks, pretty smallish but will require some intense downtime. I have some friends in the area, but they're all iBanking douchebag imports from BU - so for the 'locals' here are some questions that craigslist.org won't answer:

1 - Card rooms . . . specifically, I'll be almost on top of the 'old' room on 57th St (NYPS, if you're familiar), is that room still in the same location? If you know of any of the newer ones (rounders, 5 diamonds, all-in), will any let me in as a visiting 'non-member'? I have friends at the sat, but I don't really want to travel that far, PS would be ideal.

2 - How bad will traffic be on Sunday morning, realistically, when I have to cab from w57th to fifth ave? (No this is not a "I'll be up all night, what time do I have to leave the cardroom to make my appointment" question)

3 - The usual . . . suggestions for off-the-beaten-path bars and restaurants (although we probably won't have nearly enough time for a club) in the area.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Mullet? IS THAT YOU?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Hannah
Mullet? IS THAT YOU?

When I searched, I saw that thread, and it nearly kept me from posting . . . seriously.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
What and where is NYPS?
Old 04-04-2005, 03:19 PM
Banned

Re: Some very specific NYC questions -

People don't exactly advertise this stuff but here is a review on some. I bet most are still active since they're not exactly illegal or whatever the heck it is that lets them stay live.

http://ftrain.blogspot.com/2004/08/n...m-reviews.html

I don't think traffic is going to be ridiculous but just tell the cab driver when you want to get there and tell him if he does it, you'll tip him well.

As for bars (these were still around last time i was home), try Jack Rabbit Slims (266 E. 10th) is decent and Bungalow 8 (515 W. 27th) if you're looking to blow cash.

-Rudey

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC
(Sure, I should have just PMed Rudey or Russ, but maybe someone else will have a clue here)

We're running a study in NYC in a couple weeks, pretty smallish but will require some intense downtime. I have some friends in the area, but they're all iBanking douchebag imports from BU - so for the 'locals' here are some questions that craigslist.org won't answer:

1 - Card rooms . . . specifically, I'll be almost on top of the 'old' room on 57th St (NYPS, if you're familiar), is that room still in the same location? If you know of any of the newer ones (rounders, 5 diamonds, all-in), will any let me in as a visiting 'non-member'? I have friends at the sat, but I don't really want to travel that far, PS would be ideal.

2 - How bad will traffic be on Sunday morning, realistically, when I have to cab from w57th to fifth ave? (No this is not a "I'll be up all night, what time do I have to leave the cardroom to make my appointment" question)

3 - The usual . . . suggestions for off-the-beaten-path bars and restaurants (although we probably won't have nearly enough time for a club) in the area.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

To answer your second question: You can catch cabs at any time. They are everywhere. Unless there is a parade or street fair, you should be fine.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
To answer your second question: You can catch cabs at any time. They are everywhere. Unless there is a parade or street fair, you should be fine.

Cream, thanks, but I'm familiar with the process . . . I wanted to know how long the actual drive would take, so I can plan more effectively (mostly for drinking purposes).

Also - the "PS" is one of the oldest poker rooms in NYC, but they've apparently been cracking down a little

Last edited by KSig RC; 04-04-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Or if it's raining. Just try to get a cab in Manhattan when it's raining...
Old 04-04-2005, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Cream, thanks, but I'm familiar with the process . . . I wanted to know how long the actual drive would take, so I can plan more effectively (mostly for drinking purposes).
OK, but WHERE on W57th? 57th crosses 5th Ave. 10th Ave and 57th is a whole lot different than 6th ave and 57th. You might be able to walk.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xo_kathy
OK, but WHERE on W57th? 57th crosses 5th Ave. 10th Ave and 57th is a whole lot different than 6th ave and 57th. You might be able to walk.
I was thinking the same thing. And where on Fifth Avenue?

I forgot about the rain. The bus is my best friend when it rains.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. And where on Fifth Avenue?

I forgot about the rain. The bus is my best friend when it rains.

wow, good point - haha, posted in a hurry . . . regardless, got in touch w/ a friend so i'm good for the distance etc.

Now it's just booze and card rooms within reasonable cab distance from 57th (between 2nd and 9th) - thanks for everyone's help so far.

Last edited by KSig RC; 04-04-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
wow, good point - haha, posted in a hurry . . . regardless, got in touch w/ a friend so i'm good for the distance etc.

Now it's just booze and card rooms within reasonable cab distance from 57th (between 2nd and 9th) - thanks for everyone's help so far.
This is my neighborhood. There are lots of bars and restaurants on 57th Street and on Second Avenue in the Fifties. Most of them cater to a 20-something crowd.

I found Wicked Poker Night on Citysearch in case you are interested.

Last edited by Peaches-n-Cream; 04-04-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Go and see Spamalot.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
I doubt he'll be able to get into Bungalow 8 unless he slips the doorman at least $300 or if he's accompanied by this years entire playmate calendar.

We went there last weekend and we were in...until they found out there were 2 guys with us.

I am sorry but there isn't a place in town that is cool enough for me to not be able to be with my friends (guys or girls).

I kinda like Hotel Gansevoort. Either that or just like shitty places--sometimes that's where I have the most fun.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by hottytoddy
I doubt he'll be able to get into Bungalow 8 unless he slips the doorman at least $300 or if he's accompanied by this years entire playmate calendar.

We went there last weekend and we were in...until they found out there were 2 guys with us.

I am sorry but there isn't a place in town that is cool enough for me to not be able to be with my friends (guys or girls).

I kinda like Hotel Gansevoort. Either that or just like shitty places--sometimes that's where I have the most fun.
hah it's kinda expensive but I love the California feel inside.

-Rudey