GreekChat.com Forums
Celebrating 25 Years of GreekChat!

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

» GC Stats
Members: 326,146
Threads: 115,590
Welcome to our newest member, LoganX7
» Online Users: 1,187
1 members and 1,186 guests
No Members online

Old 12-15-2005, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Wesleyan requiring girls in fraternity houses

http://hartfordadvocate.com/gbase/Ne...oid=oid:136967

Frat Girl
Wesleyan frat houses need to be open to everyone, if they want to follow
university regulations. So meet Rebekah Glatt, the ¨girl¨ of Delta Kappa Epsilon ...

The fraternity had to adapt to living with a female, says chapter president Mike Barbera. They replaced their clear shower curtains with solid ones.

(Anybody know? Are there guys in the sororities?)
Old 12-15-2005, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

OMG, and Hooly Dooly S**T!

Well, isnt this special!

Another Adm. with Cranial Rectosis!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-15-2005, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

I'm sorry but there is no way I would live in with a house full of guys. There are still some things that need to be seperate...fraternity and sorority houses is one of them.

~ still recovering from having to share a bathroom with 2 brothers growing up.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Banned

Each fraternity should build an outhouse in their backyard and put an old mattress they find on the street in there. Then they should actively recruit for a girl to live in that room. I wonder if the university will accept their effort and stop being such asses.

-Rudey
Old 12-15-2005, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

i'm going to second the "no way in hell do i want to live with a bunch of guys" sentiment.

The one fraternity house on campus here is gross. I believe that it's going to fall down in one giant pile of dirty laundry and beer bottles. I think the mold is holding it up.

EW
EW EW EW

/nuff said
Old 12-15-2005, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Bleh. My husband is slobby enough. I can't imagine living with him, AND his fraternity brothers ( I saw how some of them lived, and oh, dear lord, gehhhhh...)
Old 12-15-2005, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

In the article I found that the biggest deal was Psi Upsilon members having to pay for their room at the fraternity house and for a dorm room. That's not right at all, especially since the fraternity house (I gather from the article) is already "on-campus" just not recognized as a "program" residence.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Some of the fraternities here, when they have boarders, don't care if they are male are female. Several of my sisters have lived in fraternity houses. (Personally, I don't think I could do it. But more power to them.)
Old 12-15-2005, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm, is it that unusual for the brothers not to be able to fill up their house. We're in such an unusual position here with only one fraternity house out of 13 fraternities, and it's not even on campus. I know several of our fraternities simply do not have the numbers to fill a 25 member house, but the majority could.

Is this an issue of numbers or policy?
Do most fraternities require members to live in the house if they have one?

(I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a fraternity under 25 members, just unsure if this is the reason they're taking borders or not)
Old 12-15-2005, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drolefille
Hmm, is it that unusual for the brothers not to be able to fill up their house. We're in such an unusual position here with only one fraternity house out of 13 fraternities, and it's not even on campus. I know several of our fraternities simply do not have the numbers to fill a 25 member house, but the majority could.

(I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a fraternity under 25 members, just unsure if this is the reason they're taking borders or not)
I don't think any of the fraternities here require members to live in the house, and lots of the houses take on boarders in the summer semester. Less have to in the fall and spring, but some still do - I don't think it's because they don't have the members to fill the house, it's that not all the members want to live in the house.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess that's what I'm asking, to my knowledge, most sororities (with houses) have some sort of residence requirement. Is this not standard with fraternities?

-no sorority houses at SLU and only the one fraternity house, however we do have a Greek dorm and though we've never had to, we have the ability to "force" people to live there to fill up our assigned rooms.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:37 AM

Which Wesleyan? There are a Dang Truckload of them.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I believe it's the Wesleyan in Middletown, CT. The Hartford Advocate is a paper out of Hartford, CT.

ETA: I seem to remember an earlier thread on this same topic at Wesleyan. Anyone else remember it?

Last edited by KSigkid; 12-16-2005 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Drolefille

My college owned all of our Greek housing. So most houses were technically leased from the school and the group recieved housing and sometimes meal fees and were then responsible for upkeep of the house so cleaning, furniture, basic repairs. But it was school property and they could revoke a lease if they wanted to. As enrollment has been increasing they need EVERY single room on campus to be filled, no exceptions. Lounges have in some cases been turned into rooms and some people have been allowed to move off campus early. (They required living on campus for 6 semesters.) The fraternities were told to fill their houses, every single space, or they would be relocated. So they had to find 'friends of the house' to move in. Last year one group finally lost their large house and are now in a smaller house, 17 beds, and it is a bit easier for them to fill now.

The girls who lived in the house seemed ok with it, no real problems. They were required to leave during ritual or something like that and the guys had to hang shower curtains, but other than that not too big of an adjustment. I guess I just don't think it is that different from the girls and guys who practically live in their boyfriend or girlfriends room (either in a fraternity house or a dorm).
Old 12-16-2005, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Thank you. I didn't have to say it.

Whether members are required to live in the house varies from chapter to chapter -- even within a given fraternity.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.